Confirmed with Link: Avs claim D Mark Alt from PHI

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Not sure I agree there mate. He was awful, on a loaded Philly team. Generally a loaded team will make you look better than what you are, but I felt like he looked as though he was skating through mud. I'll guess we'll see. Nah, I prefer the kids to be playing important NHL minutes (even if sheltered and protected minutes) to get real game time against elite players. If their contract status allows for it, experience is key for the future imo.
Skating is most likely his best quality.

Pokecheque

Whack it Hard to Girard
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Middle West
www.armoredheadspace.com
To be honest this guy is just about perfect as a 7th D. Big, physical, maybe slot him in for games against opponents like Anaheim, but will likely be a press box presence for long stretches. Just hope he doesn't do good for a couple games and then earn the love of the coaching staff a la Guenin.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
No, he's better than Dwafsofty. Better NHL size too. Whether or not he's better than Dunc is another question. I guess we'll find out.
He's definitely better than Warsofsky, but this guy isn't a hidden gem here. Alt is a borderline AHL calibre player as well who's not really impressive.

How many waiver pickups do we have? I'm sick of dressing other teams' rejects TBH. Flyers dumped him because they though Oduya (who had no trade value) was better.
Ehhhhhhhh, I am pretty sure Flyers claimed Oduya because they knew that Alt was going to be grabbed/claimed.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
To be honest this guy is just about perfect as a 7th D. Big, physical, maybe slot him in for games against opponents like Anaheim, but will likely be a press box presence for long stretches. Just hope he doesn't do good for a couple games and then earn the love of the coaching staff a la Guenin.

Lets hope Duncan holds onto that token role for a while. I sure as hell have way more of a reason to root for him than I ever did Guenin, Holden, or Nemeth.

If there is anyone in our organization who deserves to rise from the ashes it's Duncan.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I'd love for Siemens to cement himself on the team, even if it's only as a #6/7.

Our balding loveable Dman.

Everyone loves the story of the lovable ugly kid. (Who I fully believe eats children, and hopefully other teams forwards soon)

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Huh? That doesn't make any sense.
What doesn't make since? Flyers grabbed Oduya since they probably had good predictability that Alt was going to be claimed by someone. Hell, maybe Sakic phoned Hextall and told him they're going to claim Alt, thus Flyers going and grabbing Oduya. Dude, Johnny sucks now and is severely overpaid even though his cap hit is 1 million. There is no point in claiming him except if they were going to lose Alt.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
How doesn't it?

The Flyers were trying to put Alt through waivers so he would have been eligible to play in the AHL playoffs with the Phantoms. The Flyers claimed Oduya before they knew they had lost Alt, general manager Ron Hextall said.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
What doesn't make since? Flyers grabbed Oduya since they probably had good predictability that Alt was going to be claimed by someone. Hell, maybe Sakic phoned Hextall and told him they're going to claim Alt, thus Flyers going and grabbing Oduya. Dude, Johnny sucks now and is severely overpaid even though his cap hit is 1 million. There is no point in claiming him except if they were going to lose Alt.
They wanted Alt in the AHL and they want Oduya in the NHL. They think Oduya is better, which was my point from the beginning.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
The Flyers were trying to put Alt through waivers so he would have been eligible to play in the AHL playoffs with the Phantoms. The Flyers claimed Oduya before they knew they had lost Alt, general manager Ron Hextall said.

Hey fair enough. But what he said made sense even if it wasn't the case.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
They wanted Alt in the AHL and they want Oduya in the NHL. They think Oduya is better, which was my point from the beginning.
They probably see both as 7th defenders and you're probably right they wanted him to be eligible for the AHL playoffs. However, they still put in a claim for Oduya since there was a good chance Alt was going to be claimed by a team with injury problems. Oduya isn't an upgrade, he is to replace the lost roster spot for Alt, who I suggest they would not have claimed if they weren't losing Alt.

arun

Click here to hide this advertisement
Jun 23, 2016
Holland
ctrl_alt_del1.jpg

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Let's hope he never fights.

Good Lord, just lowers his head and takes a pounding. :laugh:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Is it because at this point, we just want a warm body, and it didn't matter WHO it was, so that SAR may potentially play in the P/O's? Especially considering his status. I just think it's stupid this plug gets a spot over one of our young guys who need the extra game time and experience. Stupid waiver claim. The guy makes Ryan O'Byrne look like Usain Bolt.

Give Mironov (or a guy who has a future here) more game time.
I'm not mad because he's taking the spot of one of our not-so-good players like Mironov, I'm mad because what we find when dumpster diving is better than what we already have. "Not good enough for you but good enough for us". I'm sick of it.

Injuries have killed our blue line depth up n down the organization. This is more about us needing warm bodies at all three levels than it is about not wanting to give a chance to a kid on the farm. A healthy waiver pick up helps a lot more than an injured draftee or trade return.

And with the playoffs still being possible for all three teams (Avs, Rampage & Eagles), we couldn’t just do nothing. This, the corresponding send downs, and the Graves pick up should help stabilize the Rampage while maybe letting the Eagles dress more than 4 dmen.

Plus Meloche is our only kid with a serious future and he’s just started establishing himself in the AHL over the past month or two. Rushing him now when he’s just started to build something is a good way to ensure he’s Bigras’d out of town in a year or two. Let him become a key fixture for EV before we even start thinking of giving him a cup of coffee in the NHL.

Reactions: Cullen Bohannon

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
It's a delicate balance, too many bodies halts progress too.

True, but I think this late into the season they'll bury someone like Miro or Geertsen instead of Meloche if too many guys get healthy...and who are we really worried about other than Meloche this season?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->