GDT: Avs @ Caps | November 21, 2015 | 5 PM MT | Thanks a Lot Roy, You Ruined It

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I could see his face from club level across the ice tonight, looked like a giant red hot candy in a suit. lol

That entire team had zero fight in them tonight, the only players I noticed were their goalie, and Hagelin on the occasional breakaway attempt.

Like the last time they got their coach fired then.

AnimalMother73

Sep 17, 2009
And put them on a team that won't give them an internal cap? Potentially. I've always liked what Tippet has done as a coach with the players he's had. I don't have enough an opinion on Maloney.

But the Avs seem to like to keep it in the family. Maybe now isn't the right time. But if this club is drafting top 5 this summer like I suspect they will be, there needs to be a shakeup in a major way.

If you ask me keeping it in the family is the single most limiting factor of this club.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Like the last time they got their coach fired then.

It was some sad **** seriously, don't remember the last time I seen a team look that flat, slow, and disinterested. (Even with some of our own blunders over the years)

Tampa is not a bad team, but they're also not at the level to make a team look that bad from their own play either.

I used to enjoy Anaheim games with the Avs so much, and also seeing Anaheim pound the crap out of Detroit in the playoffs, even if they lost Detroit never made it past the next round after going 6-7 games against Anaheim. Sad **** to watch honestly

Edit : That team is going the way of SJ/VAN IMO

Avs44

May 16, 2011
It was some sad **** seriously, don't remember the last time I seen a team look that flat, slow, and disinterested. (Even with some of our own blunders over the years)

Tampa is not a bad team, but they're also not at the level to make a team look that bad from their own play either.

I used to enjoy Anaheim games with the Avs so much, and also seeing Anaheim pound the crap out of Detroit in the playoffs, even if they lost Detroit never made it past the next round after going 6-7 games against Anaheim. Sad **** to watch honestly

Edit : That team is going the way of SJ/VAN IMO

As soon as they brought in Bieksa and re-signed Kesler I thought the same thing. I thought they had a nice group of prospects and young players to back up Perry and Getzlaf, but they took it in the wrong direction.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
As soon as they brought in Bieksa and re-signed Kesler I thought the same thing. I thought they had a nice group of prospects and young players to back up Perry and Getzlaf, but they took it in the wrong direction.

I don't think it's Kesler, Getzlaf and Perry just coast way too much themselves. Bieksa clearly has fallen off though.

Kesler looked aggressive, but slower by a huge margin.

Don't know what Hagelin's issue is, but loved his game. Hes like a more skilled version of Skille. Plays at 110% at all times.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
This is just not a good team. Pure and simple. Too many players, particularly defenseman that are bad hockey players, too many depth guys not pulling their weight, and stars not meeting expectations either. Plus the goaltending has let them down.

Just a recipe for being last in the league. Has absolutely 0 to do with "systems", though that doesn't stop people from bringing it up.

Holden and Barrie were just absolutely brutal tonight. Absolutely atrocious. This team will never get anywhere when both of them are on the PK and on the ice all night. It's just asking for trouble.

They have two good defenseman on this team and they both play together. Barrie is good offensively but that's it. Lose ROR, and have the goaltending let you down, and there's just no way this team can cover the holes and compete with this defense. They just can't do it. They'll just give up goals and get behind in games far too often.

And they have got to stop reversing the play, and trying these cute little passes at their own blueline. JUST GO FORWARD YOU IDIOTS! From Nate to Barrie to Landy to Holden to Iggy, they just keep shooting themselves in the foot. Teams probably can't wait to play this team after watching tape of all the bad plays they make with the puck.

At least there was some comic relief in this one. Haynes in the 3rd period saying the Avs PK looked really good tonight, and McNab saying Holden was playing great for them. I'm now convinced those two aren't shills for the Kroenke's, they're just dumb.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
This is just not a good team. Pure and simple. Too many players, particularly defenseman that are bad hockey players, too many depth guys not pulling their weight, and stars not meeting expectations either. Plus the goaltending has let them down.

Just a recipe for being last in the league. Has absolutely 0 to do with "systems", though that doesn't stop people from bringing it up.

Holden and Barrie were just absolutely brutal tonight. Absolutely atrocious. This team will never get anywhere when both of them are on the PK and on the ice all night. It's just asking for trouble.

They have two good defenseman on this team and they both play together. Barrie is good offensively but that's it. Lose ROR, and have the goaltending let you down, and there's just no way this team can cover the holes and compete with this defense. They just can't do it. They'll just give up goals and get behind in games far too often.

At least there was some comic relief in this one. Haynes in the 3rd period saying the Avs PK looked really good tonight, and McNab saying Holden was playing great for them. I'm now convinced those two aren't shills for the Kroenke's, they're just dumb.

Can't agree with this more, almost all of the complementary pieces have not been as expected IMO.

Gotta love Grigorenko though, they need to dumpsterfire the bottom half of the roster and play the kids. Give us something to enjoy.

The selfish part of me wants that, but another part of me is glad Mikko and Zadorov are not up with the team right now. Although it isn't hurting Greg...

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
LOL really? Forgot he was in their system at all. Which SOB do they get though? The one that hits everything, or the one that is already in Vegas?

From what I can see keeping an eye on the AHL he does not GAF at all, takes horrible penalties all the time, misconducts. He cost them a game last night and he earns a call up. San Diego is in Rampage division is why I even looked at their boxscore.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
From what I can see keeping an eye on the AHL he does not GAF at all, takes horrible penalties all the time, misconducts. He cost them a game last night and he earns a call up. San Diego is in Rampage division is why I even looked at their boxscore.

For some reason this made me laugh. It is just so O'Brien.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006

And they have got to stop reversing the play, and trying these cute little passes at their own blueline. JUST GO FORWARD YOU IDIOTS! From Nate to Barrie to Landy to Holden to Iggy, they just keep shooting themselves in the foot. Teams probably can't wait to play this team after watching tape of all the bad plays they make with the puck.

You're just realizing that Haynes and McNab are dumb? I mean in one of the game after a whistle Haynes said it's a two line pass LOL

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Can't agree with this more, almost all of the complementary pieces have not been as expected IMO.

Gotta love Grigorenko though, they need to dumpsterfire the bottom half of the roster and play the kids. Give us something to enjoy.

The selfish part of me wants that, but another part of me is glad Mikko and Zadorov are not up with the team right now. Although it isn't hurting Greg...

Agreed. Grigo was the one shining light for me tonight.

Comeau on the other hand. I can't remember when I last saw him in the scoring chance area, let alone have a good one. Why is he never in front of the net banging in rebounds? He just always seems to be in the corner and then having to skate 200 feet back to his zone because they couldn't win enough battles down low.

Even Soderberg. He makes plays that are very smart and creative, and then he makes plays that are just half assed. I don't get it. I keep waiting for the half ass plays to stop and the good ones to get more frequent, but I'm not seeing it.

Iggy's had a great career but he just can't skate well enough to help his line on the majority of his shifts. It just kills their possession and their breakout. He can only hope to find himself open in the slot or place his one timer perfectly on the PP. It's great to see him show some spirit and even occasionally power down the wall with the puck like he's been doing more of lately, but the fact still is he seems to bring down his line 5 on 5 on most shifts.

Couple that with Landy clearly still playing hurt, Duchene's slow start, Tanguay looking like he should retire and then getting hurt, followed by Mitchell, and a defense with Nick Holden, Nate Guenin, Tyson Barrie who is a liability if he doesn't have the puck, an aging Brad Stuart with back problems, a young and mistake prone Zadorov, a young and developing Gormley, and Zach Redmond (who actually had some good moments tonight) and there's honeslty not much hope for this team to compete with the rest of the league, let alone the central division.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
You're just realizing that Haynes and McNab are dumb? I mean in one of the game after a whistle Haynes said it's a two line pass LOL

No to be honest I've been noticing it for a while now, especially McNab who has just become a mess the last couple years. I honestly don't think he watches the play on a lot of shifts, because he gets so many factual details wrong.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003

I think you just like Roy way too much to ever be willing to admit that anything could be wrong with the coaching.

Meanwhile, hockey journalists and every away broadcaster crack jokes about Avs defensive coverage. Other coaches are way too polite to do it of course but I suspect they're licking their chops when they have Avs on the schedule.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
No to be honest I've been noticing it for a while now, especially McNab who has just become a mess the last couple years. I honestly don't think he watches the play on a lot of shifts, because he gets so many factual details wrong.

They've always been pretty bad as announcers.

StLAvsFan

Feb 8, 2015
What a disaster of a game. You could almost feel the culture of failure congealing into a solid mass in the 3rd. Something drastic has to happen, and I feel better about our players than I do our system. Roy needs to go IMO. 2 years of regression, in spite of what I view as progress on the roster and prospect pool.

Culture of failure---I like that, and it's a very appropriate term for this team & this organization. You know, we can endlessly debate the numerous problems & deficiencies the Avs suffer from (and there are many), but the bottom line is that this team gets outskated, outworked, outmuscled and definitely outexecuted nearly every single game---even when they win. So is it any surprise that they're bottom of the barrel in the standings? Let's face it...the Avs reek.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Agreed. Grigo was the one shining light for me tonight.

Comeau on the other hand. I can't remember when I last saw him in the scoring chance area, let alone have a good one. Why is he never in front of the net banging in rebounds? He just always seems to be in the corner and then having to skate 200 feet back to his zone because they couldn't win enough battles down low.

Even Soderberg. He makes plays that are very smart and creative, and then he makes plays that are just half assed. I don't get it. I keep waiting for the half ass plays to stop and the good ones to get more frequent, but I'm not seeing it.

Iggy's had a great career but he just can't skate well enough to help his line on the majority of his shifts. It just kills their possession and their breakout. He can only hope to find himself open in the slot or place his one timer perfectly on the PP. It's great to see him show some spirit and even occasionally power down the wall with the puck like he's been doing more of lately, but the fact still is he seems to bring down his line 5 on 5 on most shifts.

Couple that with Landy clearly still playing hurt, Duchene's slow start, Tanguay looking like he should retire and then getting hurt, followed by Mitchell, and a defense with Nick Holden, Nate Guenin, Tyson Barrie who is a liability if he doesn't have the puck, an aging Brad Stuart with back problems, a young and mistake prone Zadorov, a young and developing Gormley, and Zach Redmond (who actually had some good moments tonight) and there's honeslty not much hope for this team to compete with the rest of the league, let alone the central division.

I wonder if that has anything to do with the fact that pretty much all of them are free-agents. Who in our bottom six have we developed that belongs on a third line or even the 4th?

Everberg, Martinsen, McLeod? We drafted NONE of those guys lol.

ghostofweezman

Mar 3, 2013
PNW
I think you just like Roy way too much to ever be willing to admit that anything could be wrong with the coaching.

Meanwhile, hockey journalists and every away broadcaster crack jokes about Avs defensive coverage. Other coaches are way too polite to do it of course but I suspect they're licking their chops when they have Avs on the schedule.

I've noticed this too. Away announcers tend to openly wonder what this team is doing. You can even hear the pity in their voice on occasion.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

Roy wasn't even one of my favorite Avalanche players during his tenure.

I think it's more likely that people aren't capable of placing blame on players, or realizing it's not a good hockey team, so after years of losing seasons now they're taking out all their frustration on the easiest excuse. Nothing about this loss or most of their losses had to do with coaching. It had to do with poor decisions, and poor positional play, from poor hockey players.

What do you honestly think a coach can do defensively with Holden, Guenin, Stuart, Barrie, Redmond, and two youngers like Gormley and Zadorov? I mean honestly. You think a coach can turn them into good defensive players? You think a coach can make the goaltenders play up to par?

Last edited:

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Culture of failure---I like that, and it's a very appropriate term for this team & this organization. You know, we can endlessly debate the numerous problems & deficiencies the Avs suffer from (and there are many), but the bottom line is that this team gets outskated, outworked, outmuscled and definitely outexecuted nearly every single game---even when they win. So is it any surprise that they're bottom of the barrel in the standings? Let's face it...the Avs reek.

This is our forwards outside of Landeskog, MacK, Duchene ;

This is 10 of 13 forwards...

Grigorenko
Iginla
Soderberg
Mitchell*
Comeau
Skille
Matrinsen
Everberg
McLeod
Wagner

Which of those guys belongs on a second line on a playoff team?

Edit : Staring at that list is painful as hell versus what we started 13-14 with...

O'Reilly - Duchene - Downie

Landeskog - Stastny - Tanguay

McGinn - MacK - Parenteau

McLeod - Mitchell - Bordy

I wonder how Roy got 112 points out of THAT roster...

Last edited:

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003

I think it's more likely that people aren't capable of placing blame on players, or realizing it's not a good hockey team. Nothing about this loss or most of their losses had to do with coaching. It had to do with poor decisions, and poor positional play, from poor hockey players.

No one is saying the players don't own a share of the blame for how the team is performing. They clearly do.

But you have just decided coaching isn't a problem and it's on the players.

Each to their own, I guess. Most Avs fans and almost everyone else in the hockey world disagrees.

The interview with Caps assistant coach told us all we need to know. They know Avs want to create on the rush and if they stop that they're good. Now look at the team Avs have. Who can create off the rush? MacKinnon, Duchene, Barrie and possibly Landeskog/EJ. Why the hell would a team like this try to score off the rush? As for Caps plan to create offense. We already know this because every team does it against Avs. Get the puck deep. The defensive coverage is so chaotic it's Washington Generals.

I agree that players should do more, but where is the accountability. Iginla, Tanguay and Comeau have floated a lot this season. Not a second of ice time taken away. McLeod, Comeau, Tanguay and Landeskog has taken lots of stupid or bad penalties between them. Not a second of ice time taken away. Coach and players as partners seems like a ****ing stupid idea to me. The coach shouldn't be your friend. He's your boss.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

I think it's more likely that people aren't capable of placing blame on players, or realizing it's not a good hockey team, so they harp on the easiest excuse. Nothing about this loss or most of their losses had to do with coaching. It had to do with poor decisions, and poor positional play, from poor hockey players.

What do you honestly think a coach can do defensively with Holden, Guenin, Stuart, Barrie, Redmond, and two youngers like Gormley and Zadorov? I mean honestly. You think a coach can turn them into good defensive players? You think a coach can make the goaltenders play up to par?

The team started playing noticeably better once the coaches FINALLY started putting emphasis on organized play in the neutral zone. Up until then it was mostly just different variations of "collapse in the d-zone and block shots." It's nice they're finally doing it, but I'm not sure what took so damned long for them to come to this realization. This should have been worked out FAR beforehand. I feel like Roy takes a far too lazy approach to preseason, but that's MHO. Either way Roy took way too long to find a defensive scheme that was effective. That's on the coaches more than the players IMO. Now, the fact that too many players were playing fancy, cute perimeter hockey on the offensive end despite what were pretty obvious protestations from the coach, THAT is on the players.

I'll agree there's only so much the coaches can do with the current roster. But to say they've done their best in terms of organization and preparedness is simply not true. They've failed every bit as miserably as the players, in terms of defensive scheme, special teams preparedness, and most of all, lineup decisions. Roy made some horrid ones earlier in the season, and he's making better ones now, but that doesn't excuse previous blunders.

And, well, as far as the goalies go, Allaire kinda needs to figure out how to fix this current mess. It was he who pushed for the Avs to acquire Berra, so it's his responsibility as well as Berra's himself to get up to par. I'm hoping Varly's horrendous start was mostly injury-related and that he's fully mended now.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
On the Caps broadcast, they said that Berra allows 50+% of the goals high blocker side while league average was 24% or so. If Caps broadcast crew know this, I think it's fair to say 29 teams do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad