Post-Game Talk: Avs - Canucks 1-3 | Almost hockey

Crisp Breakout

Jan 3, 2011
Chicago
After starting 12-1. We are 8-7. How much is injuries, how much is defense?

Well the Landeskog-Stastny-Tanguay line was incredible so the injuries definitely made a difference there. Also, Duchene lost his touch which has been a huge difference. He single handedly won us some games (along with the goalies) at the beginning, but he's trying too hard right now and is probably hurt too.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Well the Landeskog-Stastny-Tanguay line was incredible so the injuries definitely made a difference there. Also, Duchene lost his touch which has been a huge difference. He single handedly won us some games (along with the goalies) at the beginning, but he's trying too hard right now and is probably hurt too.

We lost at the same time Downie and Tanguay, that hurts any team.

Avs For Life

#92 #9 #29
Jul 4, 2012
Denver, CO
I dont understand why, now that Duchene is back, the lines didnt go back to ROR - Duchene - PAP and Landy - Staz - Mack

Both lines did some good things together...

I worry that Fruedian is right... but are we just above a .500 team just because of our defense?

I was kinda hoping to wake up to a trade this morning.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Our top 6 hasn't been clicking at all lately, Roy really needs to change up the lines.

Agreed. He's trying to match up the muckers and the speedy guys together and it just isn't working.

Duchene is slowly but surely coming back into form. But he's not there yet. It shouldn't be surprising given that an abdominal injury would adversely affect his game. But I saw some encouraging signs last night. And I thought even though he was a bit outmatched, he did a pretty good job containing Henrik Sedin. That's a tough assignment for anyone.

Overall though, it was a very frustrating game to watch. The top six couldn't generate any pressure, and the bottom six could, but couldn't finish. I feel like Roy should've made some in-game adjustments but I guess he didn't want to disrupt what the third and fourth lines were doing, and that's understandable.

All that said, I thought we made significant progress against a foe that has been, for the last few years, seemingly unbeatable. The Canucks weren't able to toy with us like they have in year's past. They're fading for sure, and we're emerging, and I can't wait until the day comes when we're beating them senseless once again.

SuperJoe

Feb 24, 2010
Royal City
Most of it is Avs being closer to a 8-7 than a 12-1 team.

Bingo, we are not that good. If you go back and re-watch all the games, we are not 20-8 good, great for us to be and it might enable us to make the playoffs, but we are still a few pieces away.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Yep, all that start did was spoil our tank...who cares that we lost that special ability to roll three quality lines exactly when we stopped dominating...no it's definitely the we suck again thing...

Avs For Life

#92 #9 #29
Jul 4, 2012
Denver, CO
Yep, all that start did was spoil our tank...who cares that we lost that special ability to roll three quality lines exactly when we stopped dominating...no it's definitely the we suck again thing...

Thing is...we could potentially still have 3 scoring lines when Tangs comes back. It just depends on where you put Talbot.

IMO...

ROR - Duchene - PAP
Landy - Staz - Talbot
McGinn - Mack - Tangs

Of course this is providing that we dont trade McGinn

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
The last three games, the goat line (McGinn, Mitchell, Talbot) has been our best line and the line that has created most scoring chances.

While I'm happy they play well, it's not a situation that Avs can be happy with considering the talent they have on the top two lines. Our scoring lines have sputtered to a halt. Avs aren't getting anything from Duchene (one point in last seven games), Stastny (no points in last six games), Parenteau (two points in last seven games) and O'Reilly (one point in last seven games).

While it's easy to look at the odd turnover from Holden, Guenin, Barrie, Benoit and Sarich and blame them for losses they have over the whole season done what can be reasonably expected from them and then some.

Your best players have to be your best players. And lately that hasn't been the case.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Thing is...we could potentially still have 3 scoring lines when Tangs comes back. It just depends on where you put Talbot.

IMO...

ROR - Duchene - PAP
Landy - Staz - Talbot
McGinn - Mack - Tangs

Of course this is providing that we dont trade McGinn

Psh nah, maybe once he comes back we can stop tanking but who knows when that'll be...we'll probably have secured ekblad by then...

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
The last three games, the goat line (McGinn, Mitchell, Talbot) has been our best line and the line that has created most scoring chances.

While I'm happy they play well, it's not a situation that Avs can be happy with considering the talent they have on the top two lines. Our scoring lines have sputtered to a halt. Avs aren't getting anything from Duchene (one point in last seven games), Stastny (no points in last six games), Parenteau (two points in last seven games) and O'Reilly (one point in last seven games).

While it's easy to look at the odd turnover from Holden, Guenin, Barrie, Benoit and Sarich and blame them for losses they have over the whole season done what can be reasonably expected from them and then some.

Your best players have to be your best players. And lately that hasn't been the case.

This happens to all teams. The mark of a good team isn't that their best players carry them every night, no it's that the team is able step up and get results when they are not.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
This happens to all teams. The mark of a good team isn't that their best players carry them every night, no it's that the team is able step up and get results when they are not.

Sure but we have had guys like Mitchell and Talbot step up, or Mack as the 18 year old rookie in a couple games with big goals.

But when you go 7 games with your top 6 hugely under performing you're going to struggle during that stretch, especially when almost all of your talent is up front in the top 6 (i.e. we don't have the D corps to compensate and grind out games the same way as a team like LA or SJ)

AnimalMother73

Sep 17, 2009
Agreed. He's trying to match up the muckers and the speedy guys together and it just isn't working.

Duchene is slowly but surely coming back into form. But he's not there yet. It shouldn't be surprising given that an abdominal injury would adversely affect his game. But I saw some encouraging signs last night. And I thought even though he was a bit outmatched, he did a pretty good job containing Henrik Sedin. That's a tough assignment for anyone.

Overall though, it was a very frustrating game to watch. The top six couldn't generate any pressure, and the bottom six could, but couldn't finish. I feel like Roy should've made some in-game adjustments but I guess he didn't want to disrupt what the third and fourth lines were doing, and that's understandable.

All that said, I thought we made significant progress against a foe that has been, for the last few years, seemingly unbeatable. The Canucks weren't able to toy with us like they have in year's past. They're fading for sure, and we're emerging, and I can't wait until the day comes when we're beating them senseless once again.

20 pts in 19 games before injury; 1 point in 6 games since. I agree w/ you and sure hope he can heal up soon....just doesn't look the same right now.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

That is interesting that they were the ones that generated the best chances.

However, you can still see how Mtichell's Malkin like view of himself prevented him from burying his glorious chances. The first one he dekes around a guy in the slot and then sends a weak backhand over the net.

[NHL]2013020453-82-h[/NHL]

The other one he was breaking in all alone and then for some reason decides to coast and wait until he's basically in the crease before deking to his backhand. Luongo didn't even have to extend his stick to poke check it, it basically just hit his stick because he waited too long until he was too close.

[NHL]2013020453-359-h[/NHL]

Both plays are poor decisions and a result IMO of him thinking he's the ****. He just assumed he could be fancy and he'd score without actually bearing down to put the puck in the net.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I don't think Avs are the only team that has been punching above their weight class at the start of the season. Several teams in their conference has. Anaheim, Phoenix and Minnesota are also teams that should cool off a bit. Dallas and Vancouver probably deserve to be slightly higher, but they too have flaws.

All these six teams are clearly behind the class of the conference in Chicago, St Louis, San Jose and Los Angeles.

Avs

Bozak + 2nd
Feb 9, 2013
Illinois
That is interesting that they were the ones that generated the best chances.

However, you can still see how Mtichell's Malkin like view of himself prevented him from burying his glorious chances. The first one he dekes around a guy in the slot and then sends a weak backhand over the net.

[NHL]2013020453-82-h[/NHL]

The other one he was breaking in all alone and then for some reason decides to coast and wait until he's basically in the crease before deking to his backhand. Luongo didn't even have to extend his stick to poke check it, it basically just hit his stick because he waited too long until he was too close.

[NHL]2013020453-359-h[/NHL]

Both plays are poor decisions and a result IMO of him thinking he's the ****. He just assumed he could be fancy and he'd score without actually bearing down to put the puck in the net.

Yeeeep. Mitchell sucks. Is this news to anyone?

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Once again: Fourth. Line. Center.

Trying to deconstruct via video the fact that he doesn't have enough talent to actually bury the puck is silly. The fact that he actually GENERATED scoring chances is more than I can say about our top six forwards, who spent the majority of their ice time in the defensive zone.

We all know he doesn't have the smarts and talent to be anything more than he is. Doesn't mean he doesn't have value.

Getting mad at Malkin because he can't bury those chances is akin to getting mad at the beat up old Ford Taurus you drive around because you came o-so-close to beating the ****head driving a souped-up Ford Mustang in a street race.

No one was getting mad at Malkin when he was helping guys like Nathan MacKinnon and Maxime Talbot score.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Honestly, as one of his harshest critics, if he were to remain on the 4th line I'd live with it. But the problem is that he isn't treated like a 4th line center, he's treated like a 3rd line offensive center. And he's not a very good one at that, the negatives outweigh the positives on a regular basis I'd argue. What he generates on the scoresheet is quickly made up for by the turnovers, poor passes, puckhog-like nature he garned the Malkin nickname from.

Ruiner058

Mar 2, 2008
Thousand Oaks, CA
Whoa now...

To be fair, they come souped up stock. With Malkin... guy could use some upgrades.

Once again: Fourth. Line. Center.

Trying to deconstruct via video the fact that he doesn't have enough talent to actually bury the puck is silly. The fact that he actually GENERATED scoring chances is more than I can say about our top six forwards, who spent the majority of their ice time in the defensive zone.

We all know he doesn't have the smarts and talent to be anything more than he is. Doesn't mean he doesn't have value.

Getting mad at Malkin because he can't bury those chances is akin to getting mad at the beat up old Ford Taurus you drive around because you came o-so-close to beating the ****head driving a souped-up Ford Mustang in a street race.

No one was getting mad at Malkin when he was helping guys like Nathan MacKinnon and Maxime Talbot score.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad