Post-Game Talk: Avs - Canucks 1-3 | Almost hockey

Crisp Breakout

Jan 3, 2011
Chicago
I was pretty happy with Mitchell's last game. I think he's finding some really good chemistry with Talbot. McGinn on the other hand, didn't fit in well.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
McGinn is not fitting in anywhere in the lineup. I like the kid but, man, his inconsistency is maddening.

I actually liked the McGinn - Duchene - Parenteau line, and when McGinn is with Stastny as well.

McGinn isn't going to make plays for you, or be amazing defensively, he usually won't hurt you either.

However I think when hes put in a third line role, hes expected to carry more defensive responsibility. Then on top of that he gets way less time in the offensive zone shooting as well.

He needs to be the hammer for his line-mates. Hit, skate, and shoot...

Hes continued to do those things but no one is going to find him open in the slot or hit him on the rush on those lines. McGinn has been doing everything expected except score IMO.

Hes a complimentary player, and has value as such. He was fine while he was playing with Duchene or Stastny, Mackinnon was figuring out the NHL game while they were together as well.

He needs another shot with Mackinnon or Duchene IMO. Get Landeskog back with Stastny ASAP. Landeskog needs to control the play and be the focal point of his line far more than McGinn does IMO.

I really liked McGinn's speed with either of Ducnene or Mackinnon as well.

Crisp Breakout

Jan 3, 2011
Chicago
McGinn is not fitting in anywhere in the lineup. I like the kid but, man, his inconsistency is maddening.

The one spot I think he might work is on MacKinnon's wing. He can almost keep up with him, so once MacKinnon pushes the defense back McGinn can get a shot on the rush.

But as it's happened lately, I totally agree. He doesn't look confident and frankly looks a little bit lost.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I like McGinn and PA together, they are good on the rush together. When they were reunited for a little bit a few games ago they had a couple good rush moments again. Not sure who the best center with them would be though. All three of MacK, Landy and Duchene need to be on a more "important" line.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
I was pretty happy with Mitchell's last game. I think he's finding some really good chemistry with Talbot. McGinn on the other hand, didn't fit in well.

Ideally McLeod - Mitchell - Talbot would be the Avs 4th line.
Problem is Bords and Cliche have been solid and deserve time too

ROR - Dutch - ????
Landy - Staz - Tangs
McGinn - MacK - PAP

Finding a good scoring finisher to fit in that top RW spot (does not have to be a star, just a good fit, like Dupuis is for Crosby) would give us that loaded forward core we want when/if the team is healthy.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Avs could use McGinn's shot on the PP, but they don't even use MacKinnon and EJ as shooters. It's just perimeter passing looking for some play that never happens. Barrie, Benoit and O'Reilly are the only ones shooting and there is pretty much never traffic.

Roy has done a good job, but the power play still needs work. I know Roy said he likes quick puck movement, but most of the time that's all it is if they are lucky enough to get it set up. I'm not sure we have the puck skill to play keep-away looking for that perfect opening. The players tend to stand around instead of constantly moving and all you have to do is play aggressive against the guy with the puck and they'll cough it up.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
I dunno if this has been mentioned but Cliche is not a player I like. He's a bit like Talbot in terms of not doing much that's noticeable. He doesn't hurt the team much but he doesn't really help either.

I'm not sure why Malone was sent down tbh because though he's maybe not as safe as Cliche, he's close and he makes much more happen offensively.

Also regarding the PP, it's quite one-dimensional when it gets set up and it probably has to do with the lack of point presence or net presense. We just don't have the personnel tbh to cause chaos in front of the net, maybe Landeskog or McGinn can kinda grow into that role and we're lacking in terms of proper PP point players. That's not an excuse for the PP looking so bad in general but even if it was playing to its ability, I don't think that ability is very high with our lineup.

finds71

Jan 18, 2011
Canada
Ideally McLeod - Mitchell - Talbot would be the Avs 4th line.
Problem is Bords and Cliche have been solid and deserve time too

ROR - Dutch - ????
Landy - Staz - Tangs
McGinn - MacK - PAP

Finding a good scoring finisher to fit in that top RW spot (does not have to be a star, just a good fit, like Dupuis is for Crosby) would give us that loaded forward core we want when/if the team is healthy.

ROR - Duchene - PAP
Landy - Staz - Tanguay
McGinn - Mack - Talbot
Bordelau - Mitchell - Mcleod

That's what I would like to see when Tanguay comes back.

Drij

Mar 5, 2007
I dunno if this has been mentioned but Cliche is not a player I like. He's a bit like Talbot in terms of not doing much that's noticeable. He doesn't hurt the team much but he doesn't really help either.

I'm not sure why Malone was sent down tbh because though he's maybe not as safe as Cliche, he's close and he makes much more happen offensively.

Also regarding the PP, it's quite one-dimensional when it gets set up and it probably has to do with the lack of point presence or net presense. We just don't have the personnel tbh to cause chaos in front of the net, maybe Landeskog or McGinn can kinda grow into that role and we're lacking in terms of proper PP point players. That's not an excuse for the PP looking so bad in general but even if it was playing to its ability, I don't think that ability is very high with our lineup.

Cliche is okay as a depth player. but I wouldn't want him full time in the line up.
Malone isn't any better.
And the PP is terrible, the still can't get into the zone to set up. And when they do they just pass the puck around. No one shoots at all.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I didn't watch this game...first one so far this season I've missed completely. It's available on GCL...is it even worth it or should I find something else to do? Like watch Holiday Inn or Burl Ives specials on DVD?

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I didn't watch this game...first one so far this season I've missed completely. It's available on GCL...is it even worth it or should I find something else to do? Like watch Holiday Inn or Burl Ives specials on DVD?

It was a boring game. Each team had 4-5 scoring chances and they weren't great ones. You can skip this one.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Cliche is okay as a depth player. but I wouldn't want him full time in the line up.
Malone isn't any better.
And the PP is terrible, the still can't get into the zone to set up. And when they do they just pass the puck around. No one shoots at all.

Malone does one thing exceptionally well though and that is get in hard on the forecheck and play the body. I'd rather see him in the lineup than Cliche. Don't care if he's part of Roy's pk, we could very easily slide Landeskog/Stastny/O'Reilly into his slot and there probably wouldn't be any worse outcome.

When Tangs returns, I'd love to see this:

McGinn-Duchene-Parenteau
Landeskog-Stastny-O'Reilly
Tanguay-MacKinnon-Talbot
McLeod-Mitchell-Bordeleau

I think having Tanguay on that line would calm things down a lot, and Talbot would provide the necessary grit on the forecheck and in the corners. Might not help MacKinnon's game off the rush but that is already an outstanding aspect of his game. IMO he needs more work in the offensive zone cycling/building chemistry and that is where I think Tanguay can help him out a lot

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad