Post-Game Talk: Avs - Canucks 1-3 | Almost hockey

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Oilers fan here,

Whats the deal with Nick Holden? I assume he's been getting playing time in lieu of injuries, however he seems to be doing alright stats-wise with 4 points in 10 games, and an even plus-minus rating.

Has he done enough to deserve a longer look, or is he going to be sent back down to the AHL soon/7th or 8th defender?

Cheers

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
I have to agree with Rob Schneider.

Regarding Nick Holden, he is too slow for the NHL. Also dumb as a brick.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Oilers fan here,

Whats the deal with Nick Holden? I assume he's been getting playing time in lieu of injuries, however he seems to be doing alright stats-wise with 4 points in 10 games, and an even plus-minus rating.

Has he done enough to deserve a longer look, or is he going to be sent back down to the AHL soon/7th or 8th defender?

Cheers

He'll probably be a healthy scratch when Hejda and Wilson returns. He's done ok, but he's more AHL than NHL quality.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Having to play with Duchene? :laugh:

I love Duchene but he's sucking the life out of everyone that plays with him right now. Just put O'Reilly back with Duchene and leave them alone. They'll figure it out eventually. Same with Landeskog and Stastny.

Landy and MacKinnon have never clicked with Duchene. They're pretty much the worst two players to put on his wing.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Oilers fan here,

Cheers

Just a heads up: This is probably not the best place to come for scouting reports on the Avs' 6/7 type defensemen. Especially ones not drafted by the Avs originally.

He seems to have a heavy shot, but has slow feet and seems to get lost in his coverages a lot. Probably could survive as a 6/7 with consistent playing time. If he was 22 yrs old and not 26 I'd have more hope he could develop more, but I think he'll struggle to stay in the NHL consistently. Super nice kid though, and he's done ok filling in last couple games.

ghostofweezman

Mar 3, 2013
PNW
Landy and MacKinnon have never clicked with Duchene. They're pretty much the worst two players to put on his wing.

Gotta be honest. Duchene is a great player and has a lot of skill. I don't think he's the kind of player that makes others around him better. That's a knock I've thrown against him all along, and I think it's fair to say that it's still a knock against him.

I also think he's still injured and was rushed back.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA

Agree 100%

If it is not going to be
ROR-Dutch-PAP
Landy-Staz-MacK
then I'd just as well go back to 3 weaker scoring pairs
ROR-Dutch-______
Landy-Staz_____
_____ MacK-PAP

The lines we have now are doing nothing offensively anyway so it can't get much worse.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
The problem right now, is the Avs have no offense. It's not the defense and it's not the goaltending.

I've said it for a few years now, and we can't keep using the excuse of we are young and they'll get more experience and things will get better. We still lack big game players. We also lack a true goal scorer. It just doesn't feel like we have any big game players at the moment. MacKinnon might be this player, but he can't be relied on for that at age 18, that is just not fair.

But let's face it big road trip with winnable games and Duchene, Landy, ROR, Staz all come up with dud games. It's time for them to start putting or shutting up. These are the players we need to start stepping up if we want to take the next step. The only players that showed up on this trip were EJ, Mitchell, Giggy and Talbot. As much as role players play a part on a team, they can't be your best players on a big road trip if you expect to win.

Our kids need to grow up, plain and simple. We also need some scoring on this team. I'm sick of watching us struggle to score goals, I thought Roy's system was up tempo and focused on goal scoring. It hasn't been much like that lately.

Unaffiliated

Aug 26, 2010
Richmond, B.C.
Oh and why happened on our PP in the first? How did Malkin get a penalty? It looked to me like he got the stick slashed out of his own hands, and we never got a replay in the building

Avs44

May 16, 2011
I'd like to see different lines next game. Landeskog and MacKinnon with Duchene is terrible.

Duchene should be back with McGinn and PAP, and then roll Stastny and O'Reilly/Landeskog and MacKinnon and ROR/Landeskog.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Oh and why happened on our PP in the first? How did Malkin get a penalty? It looked to me like he got the stick slashed out of his own hands, and we never got a replay in the building

Still have no clue on that one, Mitchell gets his stick knocked out of his hands by a Canuck player and proceeds to get called for slashing even though he has no stick to slash anyone with. The refs blew it and it should have been an extended 5 on 3 for the Avs but it turns into a lame 4 on 4. Just another example of the refs blowing it. The Avs are the most screwed team in the league, the numbers will back me up on this one. The Avs have more missed penalties than anyone in the league. The Canucks only had one call against them this entire night. That is a bunch of BS.

AvalancheFan19

May 3, 2009
Gotta be honest. Duchene is a great player and has a lot of skill. I don't think he's the kind of player that makes others around him better. That's a knock I've thrown against him all along, and I think it's fair to say that it's still a knock against him.

Agreed. Some of the decisions he makes in the offensive zone are ridiculously selfish. It costs us sometimes. When he's scoring though, it's overshadowed. At the moment, he isn't so I guess we're noticing his deficiencies more than usual.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Wouldn't surprise me, Roy never promised the Phoenix game. I'm assuming Tanguay did not go on the trip? Then Roy hasn't seen him since Wednesday and they have tomorrow off. So if Tanguay plays at all next weeks that's probably the best case scenario. Roy said he wasn't going to rush him.

Crisp Breakout

Jan 3, 2011
Chicago
Oilers fan here,

Cheers

Generally, I haven't been a fan. But I thought he played a pretty good game tonight... He'll be the 7th defender once Wilson returns. After Hejda returns, he'll be the 8th guy. But with our defense the way it is, we'll probably carry 8 still.

Wintersun

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal
McGinn - Duchene - Parenteau
Landeskog - Stastny - Tanguay
O'Reilly - MacKinnon - Mitchell/Talbot

What do you think?

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia

I agree with pretty much all of this

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Duchene and O'Reilly need to be together. MacK matches up well with Landy. He's outgrown his third line role, he shouldn't be stuck with Mitchell or Talbot. I might try something like

O'Reilly-Duchene-Talbot
Landy-MacK-Tanguay
McGinn-Stastny-PA

The RWs all could move around but the LW-Center combos should be this for a while. Roy is mixing it up too much, set it for a few games and let some chemistry develop, or just trade out the RWs to shake it up.

avs1dacup

Jan 25, 2003
Denver, CO
Visit site
O'Reilly-Duchene-Paranteau
Landeskog-Stastny-Tanguay
McGinn-MacKinnon-Talbot

It's hard not to put that 2nd line back together. Once they got going, they were flat out dominant until Tanguay got hurt. OReilly works well with Duchene and Duchene and Paranteau had some chemistry. I know that kinda leaves big Mac out to the wolves, but with as well as he's been playing lately, for the most part, it wouldn't hurt to see what he can do with a little less talent with him. Also, having two guys in McGinn and MacKinnon that shoot would be nice.

Mant*

We did get a replay that showed exactly what happened... vancouver's player slashed Mitchell's stick out of his hand, then dropped his own stick, and Mitchell got the penalty for it. The refs are a ****ing disgrace.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Playing a tougher schedule, more western conference teams? Plus going .500 or so isn't the worst thing. If they can stay at .500 or better thats about to be expected.

ETA: caught Roy's comments on the rebroadcast. I think he was talking about MacKinnon and not Guenin when he said he "has a lot of confidence in him"

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Denmark vs Great Britain
    Denmark vs Great Britain
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Germany
    Kazakhstan vs Germany
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $2,330.00
    Event closes