Pre-Game Talk: Avs at Pens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Ok. Do you KNOW this? Or ...? HOW do you know this? Cause Ive never heard of this before.

Say Team X and Team Y are talking trade. Team X says, "I really like that Harrington kid, is he available?" Further discussion occurs, and the teams are starting to inch closer to a trade. Team X then says, "I really do need to see what Harrington can do at the NHL level, though, if we're going to make this happen."

So GM of Team Y talks to his head coach, and the decision to play Harrington is made.

Do I KNOW this? No. I'm connecting the dots. Seems to me a fairly logical aspect of pro sports.

The old adage is that the coach has final say on lineup decisions. And that's probably true 95-99% of the time. But the above would be an example of the exception to the rule.

ProgOg

Aug 25, 2014
Avs fan here, I'm doing the GDT for our board and was wondering if I could get your lineup for tonight? With all the changes and such I don't know where to find the most accurate one so thought I'd ask.

Sorry, no clue. Crosby is probably back, but the rest of the lineup, from who is in and who is skating with whom isn't clear.

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
You're still not getting anything if it's the guys first NHL game. He's probably nervous, there's new teammates/opposition, etc. You can' base a solid opinion off that.

It's not worth a whole argument over but I just don't think that is the case with Harrington.

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
players definitely get PULLED from lineups at the request of the acquiring team(s), but I don't know if a player has ever been specifically inserted at a request.

But showcasing a player isn't like some new concept...

Ive heard of that before. Player getting pulled to avoid injury for an impending trade.

Say Team X and Team Y are talking trade. Team X says, "I really like that Harrington kid, is he available?" Further discussion occurs, and the teams are starting to inch closer to a trade. Team X then says, "I really do need to see what Harrington can do at the NHL level, though, if we're going to make this happen."

So GM of Team Y talks to his head coach, and the decision to play Harrington is made.

Do I KNOW this? No. I'm connecting the dots. Seems to me a fairly logical aspect of pro sports.

The old adage is that the coach has final say on lineup decisions. And that's probably true 95-99% of the time. But the above would be an example of the exception to the rule.

Oh I get the scenario. I just .. it never occured to me that this would happen. I just assumed it was more of a "look, he is what he is. You take him at face value or we work on another player to be in on this deal."

Interesting.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
You're still not getting anything if it's the guys first NHL game. He's probably nervous, there's new teammates/opposition, etc. You can' base a solid opinion off that.

It's not worth a whole argument over but I just don't think that is the case with Harrington.

Cool.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
Avs fan here, I'm doing the GDT for our board and was wondering if I could get your lineup for tonight? With all the changes and such I don't know where to find the most accurate one so thought I'd ask.

Thanks for sharing that, we are real happy with how Pickard has played, easily the best part of the season for many Avs fans.

Good luck tonight but you guys won't need it ;)

Oh and our dumb media has been trying to make mumps a story all week and Roy isn't biting. Chambers is an idiot. :laugh:

Its hard to predict the lines, the pens have had so many guys come in and out of the lineup and our coach doesn't always use the morning skate lines he uses for the games.

My guess for lines are

Spaling Sid Horny
Geno Sutter Comeau
Rust Goc Downie
Klinkhammer Ebbett Adams

I could be way off though, sometimes Geno plays center, sometimes he plays wing, wherever he plays has a big impact on how the lines look.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
ebbett is such a nothing. really going to be mad if he's in over farnham especially when we're getting a center back.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Yeah but Malkin's a winger. 40% on face-offs and all that.
:shakehead

Just my personal opinion: i really think people make too much of Malkin being at wing. Whenever he "plays there", I never really notice a decrease in effectiveness from Malkin. What I like about Malkin at C is he gets more out of his wingers than Brandon Sutter does.

But on an individual basis, I don't see Malkin playing Wing and thinking "GOD WHY ARE YOU HOLDING HIM BACK?"

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
Just my personal opinion: i really think people make too much of Malkin being at wing. Whenever he "plays there", I never really notice a decrease in effectiveness from Malkin. What I like about Malkin at C is he gets more out of his wingers than Brandon Sutter does.

But on an individual basis, I don't see Malkin playing Wing and thinking "GOD WHY ARE YOU HOLDING HIM BACK?"

Agreed.

Malkin with 2 good wingers > than Sutter with Malkin at wing but its not like playing wing neuters Malkin.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
it's a moot point because i highly doubt malkin isn't at center tonight. they played sutter between spaling and hornqvist for a reason

Fordy

May 28, 2008
at this moment our top six LWs should be between... rust and klink right? this spaling obsession has to go

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
at this moment our top six LWs should be between... rust and klink right? this spaling obsession has to go

I don't think they want Rust playing the leftside, when he got bumped up with Malkin they moved Comeau over (which I'm not sure why they hadn't tried earlier).

Fordy

May 28, 2008
I don't think they want Rust playing the leftside, when he got bumped up with Malkin they moved Comeau over (which I'm not sure why they hadn't tried earlier).

oh, i hadn't noticed

in that case give crosby klink, plz

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012

I agree, but don't let his fanclub hear you, he's obviously being disrespected when he is put at wing. :rolleyes:

Fordy

May 28, 2008

roquay

Aug 9, 2012
Victoria

It would be better for Spalling too. He is a good third liner they should just leave him there.

On a lighter note all the Pens should come out skating with their mouths stuffed with gobsuckers.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010

I've always seen him that way too. He's too dynamic a player, too much of a freelancer for that to have much of an affect on him. He's everywhere on the ice regardless of where he lines up for a faceoff.

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA

Considering how Johnston is prone to doing one thing during a morning skate, and then coming out with a different set of lines at game time, the only accurate way to determine the lineup is to wait for puck drop...

That said, here's a link to what the Pens ran at today's morning skate, which is the closest you're going to get:
http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=744277&navid=DL|PIT|home#SKATEINFO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Granada vs Osasuna
    Granada vs Osasuna
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $10.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Rennes vs Brest