Pre-Game Talk: Avs at Pens

Status
Not open for further replies.

flaneur

Jul 17, 2013
Mike Chambers @MikeChambers
No #Avalanche morning activities at Consol whatsoever. Team will remain at hotel until regular game-night routine begins

Mike Chambers @MikeChambers
#Avs say reasoning behind no morning skate at PIT is partly mumps precaution, but also team has practiced last 3 days

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
#Avs Patrick Roy says team petitioned league to have game played at hotel

flaneur

Jul 17, 2013
I am happy for harrington that he will finally get a game after all the call ups/send downs during the early part of the season. the charlie brown and lucy football gif would work well for his situation too

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
Post game presser: "Malkin was hit in the ankle by a puck which caused his shoulder to dislodge so he is out indefinitely with concussion-like symptoms."

Fordy

May 28, 2008
this mumps thing is really working out, we got em too scared to warm up

ProgOg

Aug 25, 2014
Some quotes on the goalie:

Few people know much of anything about Colorado Avalanche goaltender Calvin Pickard, who’s 10 games into his NHL career.
Penguins coach Mike Johnston is one of them.

Johnston coached against Pickard in the Western Hockey League from 2008-09 through 2011-12, the former as head coach of the Portland Winterhawks, the latter the backstop of the Seattle Thunderbirds.
They saw each other a lot, too. Sometimes 12 times a season, Johnston said following Thursday’s gameday skate at Consol Energy Center.
“He was a reason the team had a chance most nights,” Johnston said of Pickard. “They were in a rebuilding phase, and he was outstanding.”

Peppering the opposing goaltender with shots is always part of the Penguins’ plan, although they haven’t done it as much of late; they’ve reached 35 shots – Johnston’s admitted goal – twice in the past 14 contests.
Doing so for a third time in 15 would be wise tonight, Johnson said.

“He’s a very good goaltender,” Johnston said. “He’s a very good first shot goaltender. You have to move him side-to-side. Like any other goaltender, you’ve got to hunt down rebounds.”

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
You answered your own question. It's clearly not performance related against Dumo. They need to see what Harry can do to continue his development.

There may also be another reason to sit Dumoulin tonight (if he in fact will be sitting): he's coming off a solid performance. If he's being shopped (or at least if he's available via trade), then you want the acquiring team's last image of Dumoulin to be a positive one.

The counter-point to that is maybe the Pens know there will be certain pro scouts in the building tonight, and maybe there's a team out there that has asked to see Harrington tonight.

I would like to think our own evaluation of these two players is that Harrington is ahead of Dumoulin, and that Dumoulin is the one to move.

But we have no idea of knowing for sure.

Allie Kitsune

...and the Brawla Brawla Sewitt
Jan 7, 2006
Pennsylvania
If the Avs are truly spooked about The Mumps, they really need to ask the CEC PA guy to announce the team as the "Mumpsburgh Mumpsguins" as they come through the tunnel.

Roy might throw a fit on the bench.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
The mumps are our secret weapon.

i want mumps hysteria. i want interns stationed by the visitor's locker room just coughing all day. yellow do not cross tape over the lockers. i want used tissues on the bench

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
i want mumps hysteria. i want interns stationed by the visitor's locker room just coughing all day. yellow do not cross tape over the lockers. i want used tissues on the bench

I just really want Sid to threaten to cough on the Avs. :laugh:

I also feel like Farnham can have a lot of fun with this

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Avs fan here, I'm doing the GDT for our board and was wondering if I could get your lineup for tonight? With all the changes and such I don't know where to find the most accurate one so thought I'd ask.

Some quotes on the goalie:

Thanks for sharing that, we are real happy with how Pickard has played, easily the best part of the season for many Avs fans.

Good luck tonight but you guys won't need it ;)

Oh and our dumb media has been trying to make mumps a story all week and Roy isn't biting. Chambers is an idiot. :laugh:

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Wait .. what? Does this actually happen?

If teams are negotiating a trade? Sure it does.

I can't imagine it does. The Penguins worry about winning games. Scouts could've easily gotten a feel for him by going to WBS.

You get nothing about how a player is at the NHL level, though. It's a pretty big mountain to climb.

Scouting Tom Kostopoulos in the AHL and NHL, you see two completely different players. (exaggeration for effect).

joeyjake5

Feb 23, 2014
"Crosby's first shift, and boy, the Avs aren't giving him any room. Wow, looks like Crosby has gone into a sneezing fit. A lane opens up! Crosby walks in on goal! The goalie has left the net! OFF THE CROSSBAR AND OUT OF PLAY!"

:handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap:

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I can understand a coach being worried about half his team going down with the mumps and how that can affect their playoff chances. Especially with where the Avs are in the standings. But individual players and reporters acting like its a big deal are ridiculous. It lasts a couple weeks. Man the **** up.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Ok. Do you KNOW this? Or ...? HOW do you know this? Cause Ive never heard of this before.

players definitely get PULLED from lineups at the request of the acquiring team(s), but I don't know if a player has ever been specifically inserted at a request.

But showcasing a player isn't like some new concept...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad