Rumor: Avs and Rantanen have had no negotiations

Esko6

Sep 14, 2004
Finland
Ugh, I hate this. I believe missing training camp because of delayed contract negotiations is very detrimental to a players season...

Reactions: Pizza!Pizza!

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
Am I the only one who could honestly give two ****s about these rfa’s and what they want at this point?

Frankly, I can’t be sympathetic because gms only want to offer 7-8 million instead of 9-10 million. Don’t know why rfa’s should go straight to ufa and get a ****load aav as well.

It’s certainly frustrating from a fan perspective but NHL careers carry little job security these days and I can certainly see why a high performing RFA would want to be paid more than a mid level UFA.

The whole system is a little on the broken side when you stop to consider the ways teams have been meeting cap demands up until this point. RFAs have always been willing to take less than their older counterparts but with them peaking earlier and earlier, doesn’t it make sense or them to get paid now? With the speed of todays game players are breaking down earlier and earlier(not to mention the fact that you’re always one concussion away from retirement), and you could very well be making peanuts or find yourself out of a job by the time you hit your 30s.

Reactions: cgf

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Can't see the Avs and Rantanen having *no* negotiations. Still far apart? Sure. Limited talks because they're still far apart? Possibly. But, *no* negotiations this far into summer? Doubtful.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Am I the only one who could honestly give two ****s about these rfa’s and what they want at this point?

Frankly, I can’t be sympathetic because gms only want to offer 7-8 million instead of 9-10 million. Don’t know why rfa’s should go straight to ufa and get a ****load aav as well.

I don’t feel sympathetic for any party because it’s corporate millionaires or billionaires (ownership included) arguing with millionaires who play a game for a living over a handful of millions in a multi-millionaire dollar contract. I couldn’t be less sympathetic to anybody there generally speaking.

Players getting paid in their RFA years makes sense as opposed to declining UFA years. If it’s going to be that way though then GMs and owners need to adapt to it and change the market so they’re not giving out crazy and exorbitant UFA deals. Give and take. GMs and owners seem unwilling to do that as a collective though. These RFA standstills will just be bothersome and tiring til they do.

Reactions: JBeast and Rebels57

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
So the guy who was the first one to break the news that Colorado getting a hockey team was finalized is suddenly a hack?

Really? You want to use something that happened almost 25 years ago to suggest he's not a hack?

Maybe trust the opinion of the folks actually following the team every day instead of using 25 year old information?

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Really? You want to use something that happened almost 25 years ago to suggest he's not a hack?

Maybe trust the opinion of the folks actually following the team every day instead of using 25 year old information?

Maybe I'm using the 25 year old definition of a hack and you aren't. Hacks don't normally have media credential and a reputation. Maybe I could agree with washed-up, but a hack doesn't fit at all.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
This isn’t really that hard to believe lmao.

At the draft, Rantanen’s side probably said they want to wait for some other RFA’s to sign (likely Marner - Friedman indicated a lot of RFA’s think he’s likely to get the most, and so others want to wait to use that).

I’m sure Joe makes a weekly call to the agent, asking if they want to start yet, and the agent says nope.

As we get closer to camp, if no one else has signed, that might turn to a “yes”.

Or, as soon as Marner, or Point, or Connor, sign, Sakic’s phone will be buzzing

Players, Agents, & GM’s aren’t in that much of a rush to get things done as fans are.

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
What an amazing game of chicken this offseason is. Multiple teams and high-end RFAs waiting it out, because no one wants to be the one to set the market. Not great from a fan perspective, but pretty interesting stuff to watch unfold because it should definitely set the bar for contracts going forward.

Foxtail

Mar 31, 2018
Nova Scotia
What an amazing game of chicken this offseason is. Multiple teams and high-end RFAs waiting it out, because no one wants to be the one to set the market. Not great from a fan perspective, but pretty interesting stuff to watch unfold because it should definitely set the bar for contracts going forward.
Kind of silly since Aho already set the market.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
I don't know what's going to happen with this contract, but it's kind of crazy how things have changed in the league. In a lot of cases, it seems like the team AND the player would be better off going short term.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Kind of silly since Aho already set the market.

GMs: "Meier and Aho have set the market!"

Agents: "Nah. Meier is still an RFA at expiration and Aho's was an offerseet"

I would also guess many of these teams want a longer term than Aho (and Matthews) got and agents are not wanting to do that.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Sakic was going to make a phone call, but the Kuerig was jammed so he stuck his hand in there and had to go to the hospital.

strictlyrandy

Sep 9, 2013
Colorado
I like that one credible thing AD did a quarter century ago qualifies him as having a positive reputation. AD has done everything possible to ensure he's viewed negatively. He's been fired from the DP, has a history of toxic behavior on social media, is constantly wrong, now he puts up quotes from an instagram post behind a paywall, and treats information on capfriendly as some secret info and puts that behind a paywall too.

That's just a shortlist. AD isn't even the 3rd most reliable Avs coverage in Denver.

BSN Avs (AJ and Rudo now), Ryan Boulding, and Ryan Clark are all better sources for Avs information than AD.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
I don't believe a word of this; no way they are not having discussions with one of their primary assets. I call bull on this one

S3rkie

Jul 21, 2011
Denver, CO
So the guy who was the first one to break the news that Colorado getting a hockey team was finalized is suddenly a hack?
Side note, he's talked about breaking that story quite a bit and admits he was just dumb lucky to answer the phone at the Denver Post at the right time.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019

I've never understood why people have such a huge problem with people getting paid what they are worth.

Sakic already said they were going to wait for more comparables to come in.

Seems like everyone is waiting for comparables lol Who's going to break the dam?

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Maybe I'm using the 25 year old definition of a hack and you aren't. Hacks don't normally have media credential and a reputation. Maybe I could agree with washed-up, but a hack doesn't fit at all.
Yes, he certainly does have a reputation lol. You could argue that a few years ago he was our go to guy, however with Clarke taken over his role and doing way better at it than Dater ever did in just a year, he no longer has the Avs ear. IIRC around free agency Dater/Chambers asked Sakic a question and they got a vague answer, while Clarke asked and was informed in what was going on. That's what happens when you're dealing with actual professionals that act professional.

Reactions: LeapOnOver and cgf

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I could see them not having talks. Maybe they ended with each side being at a number the didn't want to budge from and decided they won't get back together until a few other guys sign to set the market.

Don't think it's a big deal.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
I could see them not having talks. Maybe they ended with each side being at a number the didn't want to budge from and decided they won't get back together until a few other guys sign to set the market.

Don't think it's a big deal.

Canes fans looking at the Aho contract right now:

giphy.gif

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta

Dater hasn't worked for a reputable source for almost 5 years and he was washed up then in my opinion. He since went onto write for Bleacher Report (would not consider a great media outlet) and now has his own subscription service as seen in the initial post. In my opinion he is trying to get people to buy his subscription and therefore is either exaggerating stories or throwing darts hoping one lands. I could be in the minority, but I think most Avs fans would agree with me on him being a hack now.

Reactions: jsalz16

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
*at the draft

Sakic: So Liut what are you and Rantanen thinking
Liut: Joe, we'd like to wait until the other other RFAs sign and work off those comparables
Sakic: Alright we'll talk then

The end.

When Marner inevitably takes this into the season there will be pressure on Sakic and Rantanen to work something out on their own. For now they'll wait and watch to see if other RFA's sign first. I'm honestly not worried at all about Rantanen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad