Rumor: Avs and Rantanen have had no negotiations

varano

Jun 27, 2013
So Sakic qualified him and just dusted his hands and walked away?

Last edited by a moderator:

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Why shouldn't they be paid what they're worth? Just because RFAs used to play for peanuts in the past, doesn't make it right. Rantanen has scored 209 points on his ELC, he hasn't earned the right to get close to what Matthews got? Not just saying this as a fan of another team either. I will be 100% in favor of Hischier and Bratt getting big contracts next year.

No, I’m saying I’m not sympathetic over an extra million or so dollars when these players are going to be making hand over fist anyway. I will concede that rantanen could be in that 9-10 million range, but if a player wants to go straight to ufa, why should the gm concede on AAV as well then? What’s the point in drafting and developing in that case?

Reactions: 63 others and hn777

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
That really is odd. Even if people are waiting for Laine and Marner, you would think they would still talk.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
No, I’m saying I’m not sympathetic over an extra million or so dollars when these players are going to be making hand over fist anyway. I will concede that rantanen could be in that 9-10 million range, but if a player wants to go straight to ufa, why should the gm concede on AAV as well then? What’s the point in drafting and developing in that case?

First off, I'd guess they're fighting over more than a million dollars, although none of actually know what the offer or ask are. I think it's likely that Rantanen wants $10.5 - $11 million, while the Avs want to give him Aho's contract. That's a huge difference. Second, I already pointed out that the Avs got 3 cheap years of high production from Rantanen, drafting and developing is the cost of doing business.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Yeah, Joe doesn't rush through much...and star-negotiations certainly fall under that umbrella as well.

Lowkey expecting Mikko to miss some (if not all) of camp if Marner doesn't sign before then to give Mikko the kind of comparable he wants. My guess is they end up around 5 years 48M whenever it's all said n done.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I don’t believe they are the ones, I think it’s Point.

If Sakic and the agent are waiting for the market then it makes sense to me they have nothing to talk about now. They just better get it resolved by camp one way or another.

Eh, if Point takes a bridge deal, that won't be a satisfying comp for any of the other big RFAs.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I don’t believe they are the ones, I think it’s Point.

If Sakic and the agent are waiting for the market then it makes sense to me they have nothing to talk about now. They just better get it resolved by camp one way or another.
I think it's any of the big names as none have signed without an offersheet. Once the first falls, the others will start to.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Dater was never great but with the addition of Ryan Clarke (who has become our new go to guy for news), the tidbits he used to get aren't really there anymore. Clarke is fantastic, hopefully he'll become our Russo.

Reactions: cgf

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
The GMs should sit these players for the year. Dubas should have made an example of Nylander yet here we are. Millionaires fighting Billionaires while fans is certain markets struggle to afford tickets and those teams prop up the lame duck franchises. Pro sports is getting old

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
We're talking about GMs that wait until 2:55 on trade deadline day to make their first move of the season. This shouldn't surprise anyone and I doubt he's the only RFA that has had minimal or no contract talks so far. Why would they? They'll all wait until the 11th hour for someone to sign and set the market. In the end these players will get paid exactly what everyone has speculated for the last 8 months.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
Does this mean that Martin Kaut makes the team? I am thinking about him as a sleeper pick in a fantasy league. j/k

Reactions: Burnaby Joe

Mac Attack

Beefy Legs
Aug 15, 2018
Everyone complaining about RFAs needing to not be greedy. They have been underpaid forever. These guys are giving their prime playing years right now. They don't have the same leverage as UFAs so they are using the leverage they do have. I don't want to hear that they need to put in their time in the league before they get paid. The business is cut throat to players (you get injured or decline around 30 good luck getting paid). So you have to look after yourself. Also this is coming from an Avs fan who would love to see Mikko on a great deal.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Everyone complaining about RFAs needing to not be greedy. They have been underpaid forever. These guys are giving their prime playing years right now. They don't have the same leverage as UFAs so they are using the leverage they do have. I don't want to hear that they need to put in their time in the league before they get paid. The business is cut throat to players (you get injured or decline around 30 good luck getting paid). So you have to look after yourself. Also this is coming from an Avs fan who would love to see Mikko on a great deal.
Fans are hypocrites. They want team friendly deals for their rfas. Then when they hit ufa and get paid they say that the player is overpaid. Well, of course especially if they sign away ufa years during their rfa negotiations. Rantanen can be ufa at 26, but if he signs away 2 ufa years he’s ufa at 28. Meaning a max term deal at 28 takes him to 36, likely meaning a year or two of declining years.

Brian Burke was like that when he commented on the stone deal with LV. Didn’t like the term as it took him to age 35. But as a guy who came into the nhl at 20, he hit ufa at the earliest possible time at 27.

Plenty of the big rfas have not signed. Not a huge issue. The players whose the teams need to make the playoffs gain leverage the closer we get to the season. Guys like Marner and Point won’t gain leverage as their teams are good enough without them to qualify but it does cause issues with a higher cap charge this season as we saw with nylander last year.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
If all the big RFA’s are waiting for Marner to sign then there’s going to be a lot of star players not starting the year with their teams.

HugoLalumiere

May 20, 2013
Montreal, Quebec
lol and maybe Toronto and Winnipeg are waiting to see what Ratanen and Tkachuk gets first

Yeah, they're all waiting on each other and potentially hurting their team. They don't give a s*** if they're ill-prepared for the beginning of the season because they held out during training camp so long as they get what they want. It's vexing. It's like a couple fighting because they both want the covers for themselves.

The worst though is when a player takes less money (see Labanc) and the NHLPA bitches and whines about it. F*** 'em! It's HIS contract, HIS money and HIS future, he can do whatever the hell he wants with it, especially when his intentions are team-centric.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Ctrain2k

Dec 3, 2016
Am I the only one who could honestly give two ****s about these rfa’s and what they want at this point?

Frankly, I can’t be sympathetic because gms only want to offer 7-8 million instead of 9-10 million. Don’t know why rfa’s should go straight to ufa and get a ****load aav as well.

Well, that’s what Dubas gave Matthews so now everyone thinks they should get that.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad