Confirmed with Link: Avs acquire Tanguay & Cory Sarich

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
We have to have one of the best top 9s in the league. This is looking promising.

TheStranger

Jan 21, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Moving Radar to wing would be a horrible move.

His entire game is about being a good two way forward with more emphasis on the defense than offense.

In the past 30 years only 5 times has the Selke been awarded to a winger, 3 of those times it was Jari Lehtinen.

It's going to take a bite out of his game.

Better to trade Stastny, even if it's not for much/salary dump.. sign Horton or Ryder and go with..

Tanguay - Duchene - PAP
Landeskog - Radar - Horton/Ryder
McGinn - Mac - Downie

You could even go with Jagr on a one year deal, because in 2014 there is a **** ton of amazing right wingers out there.

Kessell, Callahan, Hemsky, Pominville, Gaborik, Dustin Brown, and plenty of more quality guys.. most of those listed could be franchise building sort of guys.

Imagine a line with Landeskog - Mac - Kessell or
Landeskog - Radar - Brown.. my god.. my pants

Or, get this, you put Stastny on the wing instead of trading him. Leave O'Reilly as center if he can't adjust to be good there.

Hans Landaskog

Feb 27, 2012
Denver
Tanguay-Duchene-PaP
Landeskog-Mackinnon-RoR
McGinn-Stastny-Downie

This looks nice.

Too soft of a first line. Lando has showed he could play the RW. O'Reilly has better playmaking abilities than McGinn which makes him a good option for Duchene.

O'Reilly - Duchene - PAP
McGinn - Stastny - Landeskog
Tanguay - Mack - Downie

Skip2myBordyloo

Stay the course
Apr 7, 2010
We need dman before all else. Zanon and Hunwick need to go.

i cant believe i'm going to say this but with the newly acquired sarich signing if we get a D man to play with EJ , that would bump wilson down to play with sarich pushing hunwick into 7 category, if he plays say 1/2 the games next year while pushing into the lineup he might offset the speed sarich lacks and they may compliment each other to an extent, still a garbage pairing but isn't worst case scenario.

zanon should smarten up and take a hike.

Appleanche

Jan 15, 2013
Asheville, NC
Or, get this, you put Stastny on the wing instead of trading him. Leave O'Reilly as center if he can't adjust to be good there.

Not really, he's a left handed shot and would likely be more comfortable at left wing, which we don't need as much either.

He's played center his entire career, he's good on face offs, he's a very underrated two way guy too and expecting him to play on his off wing and change position is a bit unfair.

No doubt he'd be gone next year.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I love the flamers spin job on this trade lol

I like the trade for Avs, mainly because it got rid of our two problem contracts, but people are getting way to carried away with how Avs schooled Flames here.

Sarich has very little, if anything, left in the tank. Tanguay hopefully be able to play well for a couple of years more, but don't be shocked if he starts regressing in a big way.

avsfan89

Sep 25, 2011
Too soft of a first line. Lando has showed he could play the RW. O'Reilly has better playmaking abilities than McGinn which makes him a good option for Duchene.

O'Reilly - Duchene - PAP
McGinn - Stastny - Landeskog
Tanguay - Mack - Downie

yup those are the best lines. If Stas can play anything like he did in the WHC this past summer we are in good shape.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
yup those are the best lines. If Stas can play anything like he did in the WHC this past summer we are in good shape.

Yeah I think people are blowing up the idea of O'Reilly moving to LW a little.

O'Reilly is one of the best fore-checking forwards on the team, and his shot has improved tremendously. Roy said he would 'talk to him' about it. Guys like Marleau, Carter, Pavelski, and Couture have all played wing and center and stayed with the team without complaint.

If we are competitive and O'Reilly is able to produce there, there is at least a chance of him being willing to stick around.

Too be honest, O'Reilly looked insanely good on wing with J. Staal at the worlds. He seemed very comfortable (playing wise) with the transition. Which I imagine is why Roy wants to try it at least.

All of this OMG TRADE ONE stuff is actually blown out of proportion a little IMO. Yeah there is a chance one of them is trade if things don't work, but there is just as much of a chance it works out as well.

I for one am at least really curious to see what this looks like on the ice.

O'Reilly - Duchene - Parenteau

McPing/Landy - Stastny - McGinn/Landy

Tanguay - Mack - Downie

or

McPing - Duchene - Parenteau

O'Reilly - Stastny - Landeskog <-- would be a beast of a line defensively, and would score despite it.

Tanguay - Mack - Downie

mdexm

Apr 2, 2013
I like the trade for Avs, mainly because it got rid of our two problem contracts, but people are getting way to carried away with how Avs schooled Flames here.

Sarich has very little, if anything, left in the tank. Tanguay hopefully be able to play well for a couple of years more, but don't be shocked if he starts regressing in a big way.

A voice of reason in this thread :amazed:

People can say what they want but Tanguay was invisible for the 2nd half of the season. I would expect to see more of the Tangs that Tampa Bay got, ~40-50 pt upside is realistic at this stage of his career with the minutes Colorado will give him (don't forget Calgary had him on the 1st line with Iginla for most of his time here, Colorado will have him on the 3rd at worst, 2nd at best).

As far as I can tell from Calgary's point of view the trade is a wash. The best and worst player in the deal went to the Avs. Flames won on getting younger. Woulda liked to see a 2nd rounder for Tangs in any event.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver

Tanguay is 34 next season, that is not exactly over the hill. Plenty of players are able to continue to produce past that age. For example Doan put up 60 pts when he was 34, Hossa 31pts in 40 games at age 34, Hejduk 44pts in 56 games at 34 etc.

Tanguay still has great hands and will be given PP time, I'll be shocked if his point total is closer to 40 than it is to 55.

Maybe when Tanguays deal is up we will start see some decline but he has at least 2 more solid seasons in him before we really see any signs of regression.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Tanguay is 34 next season, that is not exactly over the hill. Plenty of players are able to continue to produce past that age. For example Doan put up 60 pts when he was 34, Hossa 31pts in 40 games at age 34, Hejduk 44pts in 56 games at 34 etc.

Tanguay still has great hands and will be given PP time, I'll be shocked if his point total is closer to 40 than it is to 55.

Maybe when Tanguays deal is up we will start see some decline but he has at least 2 more solid seasons in him before we really see any signs of regression.

Then there is Selanne & Whitney putting up 60/70 points @ 40 lol...

St. Louis leading the league in points at what 37 or something? You never really know to be honest.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad