Confirmed with Link: Avs acquire Tanguay & Cory Sarich

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I don't think so. But it would be nice if it was. It's hard to peg Stastny's value at this point.

Extremely hard. Some teams might pay like he was a rental at the deadline, some might pay like he's a 3rd liner because of his production and contract, some might not be willing to pay at all.

One thing to note though is they might up his value, especially with teams close to the cap if they retain some of his salary. It's only for next year anyway, then they can negotiate whatever price they feel comfortable with.

Top 5 maybe. Aren't people saying next year's draft is weak after the top 5 or so?

I'm usually fine with top 5 protected anyway. It increases the value of the pick a lot, and there's almost always a big drop off after #3-5.

Huis Clos*

That is selling Yandle a bit short.

Really? Among Phoenix defenseman playing regularly he had the easiest quality of competition, the highest amount of offensive zone starts and played zero on the PK. One of the best coaches in the league doesn't feel he's capable of playing tough minutes.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
A one-dimensional, defensively deficient defenseman.

I love this POV. Ignoring the one dimensional part which Yandle surely isn't, you just described nearly every offensive defenseman in the league, minus the elite that we'll never land.

That's what a coach is for, to use him properly.

Huis Clos*

I love this POV. Ignoring the one dimensional part which Yandle surely isn't, you just described nearly every offensive defenseman in the league, minus the elite that we'll never land.

I love the POV that he'll come to a much worse team defensively and he'll magically be competent. I also love how you can proclaim him not one dimensional but have nothing to back it up with.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia

Based on what? There is no metric or factual evidence that would suggest he is anything but barely average on the defensive side of the game.

On another point, Jamie McLellan on David Jones:

''He's a terrific player''

On Shane O'Brien (biggest fake tough guy in the NHL):

''He'll stand up for his teammates''

I almost laughed myself to death when I heard that.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I love the POV that he'll come to a much worse team defensively and he'll magically be competent. I also love how you can proclaim him not one dimensional but have nothing to back it up with.

You don't really understand what one dimensional means in reference to a hockey player, that's the problem.

He plays a physical game, he has an edge to his game, he's a vocal leader, he's an emotional player that inspires his team, he fights. These are not characteristics of a one dimensional player. Matt Hunwick is a one dimensional defenseman, because he does none of these things.

You're living in a fantasy land if you think the Avs will be able to land a Chara, or OEL, or Pietrangelo, or Suter, or Weber, or a Seabrook that are good defensively and produce at a high rate offensively. Nearly all offensive defenseman in this new NHL are average to below average defensively. Subban, Karlsson, Letang, Doughty, Green, Campbell, Streit. These guys all have the occasional issues defensively, and it's overlooked as long as they can produce at a certain rate.

Yandle is in this same group. He's average defensively. Saying otherwise is an exaggeration. It's not a big deal and you better get used to it if you want the Avs to land anything other than a 20-30 point defenseman.

SuperTheGreat

Swim Instructor
Jun 3, 2012
Colorado
Based on what? There is no metric or factual evidence that would suggest he is anything but barely average on the defensive side of the game.

On another point, Jamie McLellan on David Jones:

''He's a terrific player''

On Shane O'Brien (biggest fake tough guy in the NHL):

''He'll stand up for his teammates''

I almost laughed myself to death when I heard that.

Yeah, each and every goal he scored last year was simply terrific. I think McLellan may have confused "terrific" and "horrific". Possibly "terrific" and "terrible". If jones is a terrific player then McLellan is a terrific analyst.

Holyhell

'Crumblers'
Apr 12, 2007
Yeah, each and every goal he scored last year was simply terrific. I think McLellan may have confused "terrific" and "horrific". Possibly "terrific" and "terrible". If jones is a terrific player then McLellan is a terrific analyst.

Nicely put.

When I saw the Flames press release about it (Its what BleacherReport linked to), they said something along the lines of exciting and tough players. Exciting for the other team and tough to watch does make sense.

Appleanche

Jan 15, 2013
Asheville, NC
Moving Radar to wing would be a horrible move.

His entire game is about being a good two way forward with more emphasis on the defense than offense.

In the past 30 years only 5 times has the Selke been awarded to a winger, 3 of those times it was Jari Lehtinen.

It's going to take a bite out of his game.

Better to trade Stastny, even if it's not for much/salary dump.. sign Horton or Ryder and go with..

Tanguay - Duchene - PAP
Landeskog - Radar - Horton/Ryder
McGinn - Mac - Downie

You could even go with Jagr on a one year deal, because in 2014 there is a **** ton of amazing right wingers out there.

Kessell, Callahan, Hemsky, Pominville, Gaborik, Dustin Brown, and plenty of more quality guys.. most of those listed could be franchise building sort of guys.

Imagine a line with Landeskog - Mac - Kessell or
Landeskog - Radar - Brown.. my god.. my pants

Last edited:

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
At this point, the avs need to wait to see what they can fish out in free agency. If they can get another quality top 9 winger, then the ability to move stasnty is there.

But it will be risky to acquire the winger, without moving Stastny beforehand.
Its also risky to move Stastny, without replacing the wing position.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
I think RoR at LW has potential to work considering the work ethic he has. He can definitely adjust - he makes great crisp passes and has a decent puck possession game. It's not my first choice but at this point we should stand pat on offense and try to find a top d-man. That's it.

Appleanche

Jan 15, 2013
Asheville, NC
I think RoR at LW has potential to work considering the work ethic he has. He can definitely adjust - he makes great crisp passes and has a decent puck possession game. It's not my first choice but at this point we should stand pat on offense and try to find a top d-man. That's it.

We have Tanguay, Landeskog, and McGinn as left wingers, ROR doesn't change much. We need a right winger more than anything. It's PAP and then Downie..

Tanguay was a great pickup because it puts McGinn who doesn't belong on top 6 to the 3rd line where he should flourish.. (he's a meh second liner, a good 3rd, IMO) the issue is it leaves a gap at RW top 6 where Jones would have laughably been. I'm in the same thought with Downie, he's a great third liner, a meh 2nd liner.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Tanguay-Duchene-PaP
Landeskog-Mackinnon-RoR
McGinn-Stastny-Downie

This looks nice.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Tanguay-Duchene-PaP
Landeskog-Mackinnon-RoR
McGinn-Stastny-Downie

This looks nice.

I really don't like this line, not sure why anyone does tbh. You have 2 similar players with dutchy. I'll stick with my dream line of Tangs-Stazz-Hejduk.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
We have Tanguay, Landeskog, and McGinn as left wingers, ROR doesn't change much. We need a right winger more than anything. It's PAP and then Downie..

Tanguay was a great pickup because it puts McGinn who doesn't belong on top 6 to the 3rd line where he should flourish.. (he's a meh second liner, a good 3rd, IMO) the issue is it leaves a gap at RW top 6 where Jones would have laughably been. I'm in the same thought with Downie, he's a great third liner, a meh 2nd liner.

We need dman before all else. Zanon and Hunwick need to go.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad