Confirmed with Link: Avs acquire Tanguay & Cory Sarich

Foppa

Future Norris Winner
Feb 27, 2002
Kansas City, USA
But the real question is

Will O'Reilly accept a change to a Wing, and RW at that? Will he be happy? I believe Roy when he said that he wants to repair the relationship, but will doing this work?

No doubt that with Landeskog and Stastny O'Reilly would be in line for more offensive situations, could help his production and everything.

I do wonder how ROR is going to react. Here's a somewhat relevant story from earlier in the season:

http://insidepittsburghsports.com/s...as-a-player-who-can-transition-to-wing/55337/

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I like your thinking, handsome guy.

McGinn - Duchene - Parenteau
Landeskog - Stastny - O'Reilly
Tanguay - MacKinnon - Downie

That 2nd line would be ELITE defensively and on the cycle. Some skill and sandpaper for MacK on the 3rd line.

Winner winner, chicken faaawking dinner!!!

If ROR is actually going to be moved to the wing (which I disagree with. Staz would be better but that's just my opinion) it's best to make him a RW'er since he has to adapt to a new position regardless. It's better to have ROR learn RW than to have him learn LW and then have Landy learn RW.

The only other option I see is to get Mcginn to switch to RW and play with Landy and Staz, and have ROR on Duchene's left. It makes our first line lethal since I think Radar would be an awesome fit for Duchy and PAP but I don't know if i really agree with Mcginn playing on the off wing with Landy and Staz.

We'll have it figured out part way through next year anyway. Last year in training came Duchene played with PAP and Landy. All 3 of those guys loved it during training camp and said they wanted to stick together. Reports out of camp said they looked great together but it didn't work in the regular season. This team has a lot to figure out when it comes to lines and it's going to take time. It is safe to say we are headed in the right direction though.

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

I always maintained the theory that the best way to build a line is to start with a combo of 2 players that work really well together then fill in the hole. So for the Avs assuming we draft MacKinnon I see it this way:

Duchene and PAP
Stastny and Landeskog
MacKinnon and Tanguay

That leaves ROR, McGinn and Downie to fill the holes per say. I would probably put ROR with Duchene and PAP, McGinn with Stastny and Landeskog, and Downie with MacKinnon and Tanguay.

You guys don't remember the LORD line?

Landeskog-O'Reilly-Downie was a great line... unfortunately it looks like it won't work that way.

I think Lando+O'Reilly are more inseparable than Lando+Stastny.

Holyhell

'Crumblers'
Apr 12, 2007
I dunno about all this ROR to wing stuff.
If Mack or Mitchell can fill in on the third line without losing too many draws and keeping it safe defensively then maybe, but that kind of centre depth is something most teams don't have and ROR is IMO our best face off guy. That, and I think Tanguay should be top two lines for sure, same with Parenteau and Landeskog.

So he'd probably be either 2nd line C, 3rd line C, or 2nd line RW.

I'd still rather see if we could get Peverley from the Bruins and trade Stastny+ dman maybe for a RW/D combo.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
I still think Stastny gets moved, maybe even today. They had to be ad diplomatic as possible when the center log-jam came up, but I still think it will be done. They will then pick up one of the RW options on the market. Horton would be great, but I will go ahead and predict Mason Raymond is a more likely target. That gives you lines...
McGinn-Duchene-PAP
Landy-O'Reilly-Raymond
Tanguay-Mack-Downie

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
I still think Stastny gets moved, maybe even today. They had to be ad diplomatic as possible when the center log-jam came up, but I still think it will be done. They will then pick up one of the RW options on the market. Horton would be great, but I will go ahead and predict Mason Raymond is a more likely target. That gives you lines...
McGinn-Duchene-PAP
Landy-O'Reilly-Raymond
Tanguay-Mack-Downie

How physical is Raymond? Could he be the grit on the 3rd line? If so, we could switch him and Downie, and have the LORD line again. :handclap:

Foppa

Future Norris Winner
Feb 27, 2002
Kansas City, USA
I dunno about all this ROR to wing stuff.
If Mack or Mitchell can fill in on the third line without losing too many draws and keeping it safe defensively then maybe, but that kind of centre depth is something most teams don't have and ROR is IMO our best face off guy. That, and I think Tanguay should be top two lines for sure, same with Parenteau and Landeskog.

So he'd probably be either 2nd line C, 3rd line C, or 2nd line RW.

I'd still rather see if we could get Peverley from the Bruins and trade Stastny+ dman maybe for a RW/D combo.

I want MacKinnon at center and nowhere else. That's what he is and that's what he will be in the future, a franchise center. Let's not forget how Duchene faired when he was jerked around to wing to try and hide his deficiencies. Turns out all he needed was a consistent complimentary line mate and some trust in his ability to be an anchor at center. Let MacKinnon grow at center in my opinion.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
I'm not convinced Stastny will be here next year, but I do think a combo of him, Landy, and ROR would be pretty dynamite to throw out against the other teams best players.

I wouldn't be surprised if Stastny is gone by Monday. What other realistic way do we have to get a defenseman? I think they'll throw around a package of Stastny and our first next year.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
I'm not convinced Stastny will be here next year, but I do think a combo of him, Landy, and ROR would be pretty dynamite to throw out against the other teams best players.

I wouldn't be surprised if Stastny is gone by Monday. What other realistic way do we have to get a defenseman? I think they'll throw around a package of Stastny and our first next year.

I totally agree with you, TMV.

If we're going to get a relatively top pairing D, it's going to be in a Stastny trade. Wouldn't surprise me in the least to see Stastny and our 2014 1st gone by Monday.

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
So what?

While the draft isn't all that good, I really don't see the point in gambling on that pick.

We know what Yandle brings. We don't know what the pick would bring, even if it is top-10. It's a gamble I'd be willing to take to improve our D significantly.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm

Well, you wont be able to get something great back for it.

The thing about our 2014 1st overall pick is that we have sucked for the last few years, and there is a risk we suck again, so it holds a very big value and could get us something great back. Obviously it is a risk. For both teams if traded. A top 10 protected pick wont get you much.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
We know what Yandle brings. We don't know what the pick would bring, even if it is top-10. It's a gamble I'd be willing to take to improve our D significantly.

Yotes wouldn't trade Yandle for that return to begin with and his whole love affair with Boston would make me really nervous regarding his long-term future with the Avs. If we were to trade away a big package we better get a guy who's under control for at least 5 years, someone like Letang if we can get him to agree on a long term extension. Don't want to waste assets on a guy who is likely to skip town when the rest of our young guys are ready to go after the Cup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad