Confirmed with Link: Avs acquire Tanguay & Cory Sarich

Thepoolmaster

Dec 3, 2011
With all the talk of the lines what is our pp going to look like? We have a lot of forwards and not much in the way of ppqb defensemen. I think I would do:

Stastny Duchene PAP
EJ Landeskog?

Downie? Mackinnon Tanguay
Barrie Oreilly?

I'm not really sure who would go on the point, but it would have to be a forward.

Barklez

Bednar Fanboy
Mar 27, 2011
BC
With all the talk of the lines what is our pp going to look like? We have a lot of forwards and not much in the way of ppqb defensemen. I think I would do:

Stastny Duchene PAP
EJ Landeskog?

Downie? Mackinnon Tanguay
Barrie Oreilly?

I'm not really sure who would go on the point, but it would have to be a forward.

So we're scrapping the 5 forward PP just like that?

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
A voice of reason in this thread :amazed:

People can say what they want but Tanguay was invisible for the 2nd half of the season. I would expect to see more of the Tangs that Tampa Bay got, ~40-50 pt upside is realistic at this stage of his career with the minutes Colorado will give him (don't forget Calgary had him on the 1st line with Iginla for most of his time here, Colorado will have him on the 3rd at worst, 2nd at best).

As far as I can tell from Calgary's point of view the trade is a wash. The best and worst player in the deal went to the Avs. Flames won on getting younger. Woulda liked to see a 2nd rounder for Tangs in any event.

No is expecting him to be a 70 point player. 40-60 is what most people expect, but the reason Avs fans are ecstatic is because we actually have line combinations that make sense and we got rid of a contract that would've hampered us in a few years. Sure Sarich might be the worst player, but he still provides a veteran presence, is gone after this year, and at doesn't start talking about Vegas trips 3 weeks before the season ends.

The problem with Jones besides his lackluster play and injuries, is he couldn't find any chemistry with anyone and was detrimental to any line he was on. I'm hoping he bounces back in Calgary because he seems like an awesome dude, but his time was up in Colorado.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
No is expecting him to be a 70 point player. 40-60 is what most people expect, but the reason Avs fans are ecstatic is because we actually have line combinations that make sense and we got rid of a contract that would've hampered us in a few years. Sure Sarich might be the worst player, but he still provides a veteran presence, is gone after this year, and at doesn't start talking about Vegas trips 3 weeks before the season ends.

The problem with Jones besides his lackluster play and injuries, is he couldn't find any chemistry with anyone and was detrimental to any line he was on. I'm hoping he bounces back in Calgary because he seems like an awesome dude, but his time was up in Colorado.

I agree with a lot of this and will just add...I don't remember being frustrated with Tanguay going long spells without being productive offensively. I remember being frustrated with him being unable to stay on-side but with the speed of our current forwards and his "advanced age" I don't think that will be a problem.

Jones, on the other hand, was a problem this last season and for the life of me, I'd still like to know what happened. I've just never witnessed such a complete melt-down before. He went from streaky guy who could put up a lot of goals in a three or four games streak to make his yearly tally look okay to a guy who..well...only Feaster would want. I wish him all the luck in the world and really hope he bounces back but geesh...I still want to know...has he lost it, was he playing hurt all year, never in shape or just got lazy after getting that huge contract? This seriously bugs me because he seems like such a great guy. Anyways, I hope he finds success and happiness in Calgary. I'm personally happy that Tangs in coming home. Hope he crashes in Roy's basement again.

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006
Tanguay - Stastny - Hejduk = A Happy Stastny

Does the Sarich aquisition in any way imply drafting Seth Jones??

Last edited:

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Tanguay - Stastny - Hejduk = A Happy Stastny

Does the Sarich aquisition in any way imply drafting Seth Jones??

I don't think so. I honestly believe that was just shaking the rosters up and hoping both guys get a little boost from a change of scenery. SOB has the tools to be good but hasn't shown the brains to play consistently within his role. Sarich is just going to be a guy who knows his role and will play within it. He's on the downside of his career but is professional and steady. I kinda think of him as the new Tarnqvist (if that makes any sense.) I expect the kids (Elliott and Siemens) to challenge him hard for a roster spot in training camp and he'll probably start the season on the bottom pairing or as the 7th dman depending on how they shake out in camp and exhibition. Of course...it's still going to be a long summer and free agency and trades could still play a huge role...but I just don't see this move effecting the #1 draft pick much.

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
I believe them when they say they're not taking Jones at 1st overall.

I don't expect them to find a trade partner for the #1, and I expect them to take MacKinnon.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I believe them when they say they're not taking Jones at 1st overall.

I don't expect them to find a trade partner for the #1, and I expect them to take MacKinnon.

You are a wise man.

Gotta ask everyone though...the last few years we've sucked but somehow each summer I've always talked myself into believing the Avs could make the playoffs the next season. I've done this three years in a row now. Am I the biggest idiot for believing the same thing again now? Seriously, this was a last place team...it can't turn around that quickly can it?

I'm tired of being emotionally attached to a losing team. I was a much more agreeable ******* when the Avs were winning on a consistent basis.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
You are a wise man.

Gotta ask everyone though...the last few years we've sucked but somehow each summer I've always talked myself into believing the Avs could make the playoffs the next season. I've done this three years in a row now. Am I the biggest idiot for believing the same thing again now? Seriously, this was a last place team...it can't turn around that quickly can it?

I'm tired of being emotionally attached to a losing team. I was a much more agreeable ******* when the Avs were winning on a consistent basis.

Plenty of players that should bounce back, young players that will improve and the team should be better insulated against injuries.

I'm cautiously optimistic. It's hard going anywhere but up from here. But the last years have taught me that this team can be easily derailed by a couple of injuries and a cold goalie.

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
You are a wise man.

Me too, my friend, me too.

But I truly believe this team is better than its record. I think they underachieved, and I do put a good part of that on coaching and (lack of) system. A group of young guys need strong leadership, and they weren't getting it from the coaches.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
I like the trade for Avs, mainly because it got rid of our two problem contracts, but people are getting way to carried away with how Avs schooled Flames here.

Sarich has very little, if anything, left in the tank. Tanguay hopefully be able to play well for a couple of years more, but don't be shocked if he starts regressing in a big way.

Good post.

My belief is that none of these players have good contracts, and the Avs got the two players in decline. That said, the Avs got the best player of the 4 by a pretty wide margin.

I think the Avs corrected a couple of lousy FA signings by Sherman in about the best way they could (given they're not buying out contracts). Will Jones score 20 again? Yeah, he might. But he's a one-trick pony, has lost his ability to skate, and has never been able to deliver or receive a pass at all. And I'm not a fan of O'Brien - he's got some puck skill, but he's a very unpredictable player. They got a fading 3rd pairing defenseman who's only going to be around for a year, and they exchanged that for 2 years of O'Brien, and this will open up one more defensive roster spot a year earlier from a contract standpoint. As bad as Sarich may be, it's still worth it for that reason if no other. And Tanguay - in decline at age 33 he may be - is far more skilled than Jones will ever be. And he's a bit less expensive also.

All in all, a good asset swap by Colorado. Not earth shattering though.

From Calgary's perspective, they got younger, I think they can still buy out Jones next season if he's still sucking (can't they?), and they perhaps get a step closer to the 2014 top pick. Gotta love an early tank. ;)

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Gotta ask everyone though...the last few years we've sucked but somehow each summer I've always talked myself into believing the Avs could make the playoffs the next season. I've done this three years in a row now.

Come to Colorado and start hanging out with a certain poster of our group. I'll cure you of this malady. ;)

All kidding aside, this roster gives me more hope than any I've seen in years. However, to your point above, if the Avs don't add at least one Top 4 defenseman, this still isn't likely a playoff team. They'd almost have to have no injuries or something.

Qurpiz

Nudes in profile
Nov 5, 2006
While I was thinking the Avs should buy out Jones, getting Tanguay for him is nice. O'Brien for Sarich is a wash to me.

That said, the 2001 class reunion needs to stop before they go and sign Nieminen, who's looking for a club for next season btw

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
I still think Sarich is an upgrade over O'Brien. If, and I think it's very possible, the Avalanche make the post-season this year, his leadership could help settle down an Avs team devoid of post-season experience.

Not sure what number he will wear also, #6 and #21 are off the table.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Sarich is if anything pretty territorial. Gave Hejda a good beating this year.

AnimalMother73

Sep 17, 2009
Glad to be rid of Jones. While he scores sporadically he seems very un-athletic. His skating is very mechanical and he plays w/ the physicality of someone 5'10" 175 not 6'2" 220. As others have said if he's not scoring goals he's absolutely worthless...too one dimension for anyone at that price. Even Tanguay at 30-50 points is better as he has the agility to hang w/ faster skaters (defensively).

Stoked about Sarich too, he's more physical than O'Brien and way more disciplined.

Basically traded unpredictability for predictability.

ManOnTheMoon

Hejdas Gonna Hejd
Aug 7, 2009
Omaha, Nebraska
Not sure if this has been mentioned, but I like that the team has shown a willingness to acquire veterans. For a while it was all young blood coming in, which was fine, but there was little in the way of guidance. Both Tanguay and Sarich have their name on the Cup, that kind of experience is invaluable to creating a winning culture.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
You are a wise man.

There is one constant in those years, Sacco.

If Sacco wasn't fired the vibe would be completely different, a lot of people were starting to think this rebuild was going to take another 3-5 years.

They are actively making moves to improve the team, and don't seem to be leaving holes up front. In the past we've always had to include some long shot into the top 9, sometimes two guys. Prospects, third liners, and what not.

If we don't fix the defense it could be the difference in us either squeaking in or missing the playoffs versus us actually having a chance to do some damage. If they draft Mackinnon and he comes close to his potential, our forward group is top 5 in the league IMO.

We'll see what they do about the defense, until that's at least upgraded I'm holding my 'playoffs' speculation to a minimum. There were a lot of media pundits that thought we would squeak in this year as well. So we're not alone in thinking we're close, and the rumor was that a lot of the coaches saw untapped potential in our lineup as well.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I wouldn't be surprised if Avs actually packaged Tanguay with perhaps Stastny.

Because while Tanguay is still a decent winger who can put up some decent numbers, i don't think that's what the Avs need exactly, specially if they are thinking about getting a top winger to play with Mac (if they draft Mac)

For Mac to reach his potential which many say another Tavares or even Stamkos, he's gonna need to play with much much better wingers than Tanguay.

Tavares and Stamkos played with top wingers to become the players they have become.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I wouldn't be surprised if Avs actually packaged Tanguay with perhaps Stastny.

Because while Tanguay is still a decent winger who can put up some decent numbers, i don't think that's what the Avs need exactly, specially if they are thinking about getting a top winger to play with Mac (if they draft Mac)

For Mac to reach his potential which many say another Tavares or even Stamkos, he's gonna need to play with much much better wingers than Tanguay.

Tavares and Stamkos played with top wingers to become the players they have become.

Stamkos maybe... but Tavares no... Moulson has been his only consistent winger.

They are not going to bring in Tanguay an old friend, and then shove him out the door for another asset. Tanguay is a very skilled winger, and a rare breed in a play-maker. Tanguay and Mackinnon will be fairly well sheltered IMO. If Mackinnon out grows Tanguay and surpasses Stastny or O'Reilly, fine but until then. Tanguay just fits perfectly in his role.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
You are a wise man.

MTL did it. Maybe it was a new coach or the influx of young talent like Gallagher and Galchenyuk but you can go from worst to the playoffs these days. If this was say 1993 and we were the Sens then no Id say playoffs are not a possibilty. We have a decent team. We need some luck on the health front and strong performances to make it

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com
MTL did it. Maybe it was a new coach or the influx of young talent like Gallagher and Galchenyuk but you can go from worst to the playoffs these days. If this was say 1993 and we were the Sens then no Id say playoffs are not a possibilty. We have a decent team. We need some luck on the health front and strong performances to make it

Also worth noting that this was a lockout season. Numbers from last year for a lot of players and teams are inflated or dropped because of the short season and the lack of a camp.

IMO the Avs make at least a fighting run at the playoffs if they had a full camp last year to pull together as a team. Most of the good teams from last season were teams that did not have much of a change to make in their roster, chemistry, or style of play...Boston, LA, Chicago, and Pitt were 4 teams with very little change going into the season. (notwithstanding they DID have good players to begin with) Those four teams did not have much to learn going in and were able to go full on from day one without worrying about how the teams would fit together off and on the ice.

JWK

Report Spam @JWK on Twitter Plz
Mar 27, 2010
So, how long until McNab calls Tanguay "Tourigny" and vice versa?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad