Confirmed with Link: Avs acquire G Alexander Georgiev for 2022 3rd, 2022 5th, and 2023 3rd

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
It really shouldn't. He's coming from a down year. He can either take the QO and sign for 1 year, or take around the same (slightly more) and sign for around 3 years. He's not holding many cards here.
This... And Sakic can always ask the agent if his client would prefer Anaheim?? :sarcasm:

"We wanted to make this trade to make Alexandar the starter... on this team (pause for affect and let him wrap his head around THAT).

However, I can always swing a deal with the Ducks if he'd prefer to compete for a job there. Let me know what you prefer..."

Reactions: Bill Peckerskull

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
It really shouldn't. He's coming from a down year. He can either take the QO and sign for 1 year, or take around the same (slightly more) and sign for around 3 years. He's not holding many cards here.

Yeah, Avs have a lot of leverage in this situation. Not only because of the fact that Georgiev is an RFA with a low QO number, but because it's 100% in Georgiev's interest to play ball as this is a fantastic opportunity for him where he can be the outright starter on a winning team that has a track record of inflating goalie stats that lead to future UFA paydays.

Needless to say Husso being an UFA has very little bearing on this situation.

Georgiev's best comparable's in terms of goalies who were in their mid-20's as promising-but-questionable starters and who signed 2-3 year deals as RFA's are:

Chris Driedger $3.5m
Tristan Jarry $3,5m
Philip Grubauer $3.33m
Alex Nedeljkovic $3m
Joonas Korpisalo $2.8m
Mackenzie Blackwood $2.8m

Georgiev will fall somewhere in the middle of that group in AAV. The biggest question is whether it'll be 2 years or 3 years. His camp will push for 2 years (as it's quicker to an UFA payday), but the Avs will likely be pushing for 3 years to get maximum value out of the trade and contract.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
Red Wings just *** ****ed us. 4,75million a season to Husso? What??

Way too much. Makes Kuemper look bargain.

I don't think it's bad at all.

I think Husso would've for sure gotten $4M on the open market, but Detroit probably had to inflate the number a little because they're a bottom-10 team. They have $30M in cap space even after the deal, so they could afford to add the extra $500K-$750K.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Yeah, Avs have a lot of leverage in this situation. Not only because of the fact that Georgiev is an RFA with a low QO number, but because it's 100% in Georgiev's interest to play ball as this is a fantastic opportunity for him where he can be the outright starter on a winning team that has a track record of inflating goalie stats that lead to future UFA paydays.

Needless to say Husso being an UFA has very little bearing on this situation.

Georgiev's best comparable's in terms of goalies who were in their mid-20's as promising-but-questionable starters and who signed 2-3 year deals as RFA's are:

Chris Driedger $3.5m
Tristan Jarry $3,5m
Philip Grubauer $3.33m
Alex Nedeljkovic $3m
Joonas Korpisalo $2.8m
Mackenzie Blackwood $2.8m

Georgiev will fall somewhere in the middle of that group in AAV. The biggest question is whether it'll be 2 years or 3 years. His camp will push for 2 years (as it's quicker to an UFA payday), but the Avs will likely be pushing for 3 years to get maximum value out of the trade and contract.

Ya just looking at that list and I don't see georgiev getting more than any of them. But they will want to get to UFA quicker cause he's going to have inflated numbers next off season.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
I hope Washington trades for Kuemper's rights so panic sets in the Edmonton and Toronto fanbases. :devdance:

#schadenfreude

My guess:

Washington signs Kuemper.

Toronto and Edmonton battle it out for Campbell, but in the end Toronto sign him by paying more than they're comfortable with and are forced to trade Justin Holl and/or Kerfoot for pennies on the dollar for caproom.

Ken Holland is the last man standing and is forced to look for a trade. Gibson and Varlamov both block trades to Edmonton so Holland tries to pressure Guerin to trade Talbot via his agent and the media, but Guerin refuses.

With no goalie and a tonne of capspace in desperation Holland tries to acquire Matt Murray but he also blocks a trade.

Edmonton then go into the season with Smith as their starting goalie yet again, with Holland publicly lamenting the difficulty of signing UFA's or finding trades.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
My guess:

Washington signs Kuemper.

Toronto and Edmonton battle it out for Campbell, but in the end Toronto sign him by paying more than they're comfortable with.

Ken Holland is the last man standing and is forced to look for a trade. Gibson and Varlamov both block trades to Edmonton so Holland tries to pressure Guerin to trade Talbot via his agent and the media, but Guerin refuses.

With no goalie and a tonne of capspace in desperation Holland tries to acquire Matt Murray but he also blocks a trade.
Dreger already said that Murray would accept a trade to Edmonton and that's clearly the best case scenario.

I wouldn't want Gibson to Edmonton, too risky. Campbell is a low end #1 but still a #1, something they didn't have in years. Talbot isn't going back to Edmonton again.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
Dreger already said that Murray would accept a trade to Edmonton and that's clearly the best case scenario.

I wouldn't want Gibson to Edmonton, too risky. Campbell is a low end #1 but still a #1, something they didn't have in years. Talbot isn't going back to Edmonton again.
Ok yeah that makes sense. I did think it would be a good move while writing that post, but figured my little story had a better ending if he blocked the trade lol

Reactions: Balthazar

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
Two interesting goalie notes:

- Colorado was the first team since Boston in 2011 (Thomas) to win the cup with a non-team drafted goalie

- Colorado is the first team since Chicago in 2010 (Niemi) to win the cup and change starters the following season (Crawford for CHI)

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
As it stands they're getting tremendous value from that contract. Next to Mikko he's the biggest reason the Avs have kept their heads above water.
It will be interesting to see how he does behind our real defense with Byram and Manson, it that ever happens.

Our D can be MUCH better than it's been so far this season with tired Toews/Makar, EJ playing top 4 minutes, Girard being all over the place and Hunt/MacDonald/Englund/MacDermid.

Belgican

Mar 8, 2002
Visit site
We already know we got tremendous value for the costs, the only time he was not so good was at the time he had to play every game due to Franzouz injury

Reactions: Foppa2118

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad