GDT: Trades & Free Agency

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Looking at our prospect pool and the guys coming it's extremely wing heavy, I like Bert but I have a hard time justifying 5M+ with term, I think that money is better spent elsewhere

I'd keep Domi because he's going to be cheaper, can play wing and center and he suits our shoot first centers, he also adds some physicality

I'd try to keep Lyubushkin, he shouldn't cost the earth and we know he can partner MO but I'd pass on Edmundson, like the player but 30 year old 6'5 defenseman with back issues are a no no for me

I'd also try trading Liljegren for another young defenseman that's struggling a bit and in a similar situation to him and hope to get lucky, I'm thinking Fabbro or Broberg types

Machinae

Jul 6, 2007
Mississauga, ON
Yeah but he had a fairly average season. If he can get north of 7M long-term with the regular season he had, I say good luck to Bertuzzi and see ya later.

I would look at the Nino Niederreter deal for Bertuzzi. Similar production and player. 4M a season.
Someone's gonna galaxy brain Bertuzzi based on his perceived "playoff warrior" character and give him that 6.5-7 mil. I'm betting Trotz.

Reactions: SprDaVE

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
IMO Bertuzzi is not worth keeping, especially if he wants more and for term. He's 3.5 per max player to me. I'd much rather Jankrok at his cap hit
I'd rather have neither unless the price is right for Bert. Rather have Lomberg at half Jarnkrok's cap hit. Energy player who finishes every check and will drop the mitts if needed.

Jarnkrok.

1714751207150.png

Folignos Helmet

Sep 4, 2020
For me I think regardless if we win Saturday below are the givens for next year up front

Knies AM _
_ _ Wilie
McMann JT -
Dewar Holmberg _
Reaves

Marner would be the potential wild card.
Jarnkrok and Kampf could be trade bait. Robertson second line LW or trade bait.
Cowan, Grebs, Minten vying for spots.
Gregor let to walk.
I think at least two of those empty spots need to be strong defensive penalty killer types.
I would prefer any money spent up front is on a centre who can defend. Most money and capital should be spent on D.
but if Mitch is traded I could see a world where they bring Bert and Domi back as well.

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
I'd rather have neither unless the price is right for Bert. Rather have Lomberg at half Jarnkrok's cap hit. Energy player who finishes every check and will drop the mitts if needed.

Jarnkrok.

View attachment 864103
I said this in the GDT yesterday morning, I like Jarnkrok but his main job is depth scorer if he can't score when the games matter he's useless.

You can get that production from a crappy 4th liner who's as good or better defensively, as good or better on the PK, more physical and better on the forcheck for half what we're paying Jarnkrok.

He's probably quite easily worth the 2 million in the regular season but once the playoffs start he's just a vanilla 4th liner who won't hurt you but won't contribute anything either.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I said this in the GDT yesterday morning, I like Jarnkrok but his main job is depth scorer if he can't score when the games matter he's useless.

You can get that production from a crappy 4th liner who's as good or better defensively, as good or better on the PK, more physical and better on the forcheck for half what we're paying Jarnkrok.

He's probably quite easily worth the 2 million in the regular season but once the playoffs start he's just a vanilla 4th liner who won't hurt you but won't contribute anything either.

I don't think he's useless at all. He forechecks, adds speed and he's really good on the PK. You always want more scoring from anyone in his position so I get the frustration but he's done well in his role. For 2.1M, it's good value.

Reactions: Menzinger

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
I don't think he's useless at all. He forechecks, adds speed and he's really good on the PK. You always want more scoring from anyone in his position so I get the frustration but he's done well in his role. For 2.1M, it's good value.
I guess it depends how you view his defense and PK. For me he's decent but not great in those areas. Essentially what I see with playoff Jarnkrok is that with no offense to speak of he is smaller/slower Lafferty.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I guess it depends how you view his defense and PK. For me he's decent but not great in those areas. Essentially what I see with playoff Jarnkrok is that with no offense to speak of he is smaller/slower Lafferty.

I dunno about slower, but he is smaller. Lafferty isn't doing much better in the playoffs either.

Either way, I'm fine if Jarnkrok can be flipped for a pick or two while using his cap space differently. But I do think he's a solid player for his cap hit, regular season and the playoffs.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
I dunno about slower, but he is smaller. Lafferty isn't doing much better in the playoffs either.

Either way, I'm fine if Jarnkrok can be flipped for a pick or two while using his cap space differently. But I do think he's a solid player for his cap hit, regular season and the playoffs.

Maybe a little simplistic, but for the playoffs, when someone is playing ~12-15 minutes for us they should be able to do at least 2/3 of: (1) play well defensively and play on the PK; (2) contribute reasonably to secondary scoring; and/or (3) play physical to help wear down the opponent over 7 games and have them looking over their shoulders.

Jarnkrok only does the first one. Guy has 0 points (and awful career playoff stats), 8 hits, and 3 blocked shots. Also plays secondary PK minutes on a not very good PK.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
There is no chance MLSE wants Q.

I don't want Q here either.
Q would be like hiring Mike Babcock right now, a media circus disaster and distraction (but different reasons) and I don't even think he's cleared to coach by the NHL. Cooper ain't going anywhere anytime soon. Sullivan is still employed last I checked and nothing so far with a change there.

If we make a coaching change, we need to hire someone and it probably won't be someone with a great resume. Berube has experience and seems well liked. A cup ring is a cup ring. If he's a terrible option and the options you listed aren't available... the list is pretty bad anyway right?

Bruce Cassidy loses in the first or 2nd round almost every season with Boston before moving on to Vegas and winning a cup. Paul Maurice was also having a rough time after his run with Carolina -- goes to Florida randomly and is coaching a cup favourite. Rick Tocchet had an awful record with ARI and TBL (1 playoffs in 7 seasons) and was a TV analyst before going to Vancouver and he's pushed them into 1st in the Pacific and on the verge of going to the 2nd round.

They fired Rierden and Seravelli is saying it's caused a lot of friction, might be the tipping point on Sullivan in Pittsburgh.

I suspect if we fired Keefe, that he pounces on him.

Q - I don't think he's cleared, it comes with his issues but Keefe certainly has his demons in the closet with the whole Frost thing

Cooper - I think he's staying

Rod - Sounds like that's progressing towards getting done

Sullivan remains a possibility I would say

Berube, I maintain would still be a bad decision but there are a lot of bad decisions to be made.

I'm looking at the unemployment line up outside of what was mentioned above and I guess you guys chime in...I have ignored some names because hell no (DJ Smith as an example)

Dean Evason
Jay Woodcroft
Todd McLellan
Don Granato
Gerard Gallant (I had interest previously, not sure how I feel now)

WatchOut

Feb 7, 2016
Ontario
Resign domi at 4.5m for 4-5 years
Resign Timothy for 2 years at 2.5 - 3m
Sign Roy for 5.5m for 5 years
trade for ivan Provorov (1 round pick + )
Hope Cowan and Minten can make the jump next year (only one might)

sign talbot (as the #2) but split the starts between him and Woll

Gives us a top 10 d-core and one that should be good at moving the puck out the zone and adding more offensive from the defense.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Looking at our prospect pool and the guys coming it's extremely wing heavy, I like Bert but I have a hard time justifying 5M+ with term, I think that money is better spent elsewhere

I'd keep Domi because he's going to be cheaper, can play wing and center and he suits our shoot first centers, he also adds some physicality

I'd try to keep Lyubushkin, he shouldn't cost the earth and we know he can partner MO but I'd pass on Edmundson, like the player but 30 year old 6'5 defenseman with back issues are a no no for me

I'd also try trading Liljegren for another young defenseman that's struggling a bit and in a similar situation to him and hope to get lucky, I'm thinking Fabbro or Broberg types

The noise around Marner in the playoffs got quite loud...I don't know if he's at the point of wanting out but I ran this scenario, my evaluation of it at the bottom;

1714763694693.png

1714763723288.png

1714763759603.png

I still think we lack offense from the blue line with this group

The PK might have improved, I think we're similar physically

I don't know if I did enough to "fix" the RD side.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
In today’s fantasy world, Leaf’s either get eliminated in game 7 of the first round or in the second round along with the Hurricanes. Both organizations get fed up and look for a major shake up.

Marner for Svechnikov.

Of course this only works if Marner is willing to extend in Carolina.

I’d then re-sign Domi.

Svechnikov - Matthews - Domi

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener

Gives us a top 10 d-core and one that should be good at moving the puck out the zone and adding more offensive from the defense.
Didn't realize domi was already 29, felt like he just came into the league. I was going to say offer term if you can get the per cap hit down but honestly he's not an impact player . If he really wants to be with the leafs he's in that 3.5 to 4 million per player. That's with Jenner, Goodrow, Vatrano, which is his ceiling of effectiveness imo. Kerfoot got 3.5 and that's probably a good compable

Avilaj07

Feb 6, 2016

Agree with signing Domi but anything above 4 is a no for me. I'd offer him 4 yrs x 4 million. If he doesn't take it, then move on.

Liljegren I expect to be moved this off season. He hasn't been able to make the jump to solidify being a top 4 defenseman.

Agree with signing Roy but I feel like there's a team out there that's going to offer him 7 years which he'll probably take. I wouldn't go more then 5 yrs. Offer would be 5 yrs x 5.75 million.

Instead of Provorov, I'd rather us look at signing Brady Skjei. It's going to cost us in the neighborhood of 6.5-7 million but he would really help out with the offense from the backend and solidify that second pairing.

Cowan won't be ready next year but with Holmberg looking like a legit center, I would look at moving Kampf this off season and if Minten shows he's ready then he takes the 3rd line center position with Holmberg now your 4th line shutdown center.

Let's not forget about Grebyonkin who might be ahead of both Cowan and Minten when it comes to being NHL ready. Kid was a stud in the KHL, and with Bertuzzi most likely not coming back, Grebyonkin might be given a great top 9 opportunity.

If money is still available, I'd look at adding Dylan Demelo as well. We really need to solidify our defense this off season.

Domi-Matthews-Nylander
Knies-Tavares-Marner
Grebyonkin-Minten-Jarnkrok
Dewar-Holmberg-Reaves

Rielly-Roy
Skjei-Demelo
Benoit-McCabe

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
The noise around Marner in the playoffs got quite loud...I don't know if he's at the point of wanting out but I ran this scenario, my evaluation of it at the bottom;

View attachment 864179
View attachment 864180

View attachment 864181

I still think we lack offense from the blue line with this group

The PK might have improved, I think we're similar physically

I don't know if I did enough to "fix" the RD side.

I'd keep Marner and resign him, 100 point wingers who can win Selke votes don't grow on trees and JT is due for a cut when he's up so that gives us flexibility especially with some young forwards coming

I'd try trading Liljegren for somebody like Broberg, bottom pair guys but it's a money saver

Let Bert walk, keep Domi and try to find a middle 6C Wennberg? Frost didn't seem to be getting along with Torts in Philly

Keep Lyubushkin, take one big swing in UFA on D, Roy? Skjei? Then a good backup goaltender

Reactions: TheMadHatTrick

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
I'd keep Marner and resign him, 100 point wingers who can win Selke votes don't grow on trees and JT is due for a cut when he's up so that gives us flexibility especially with some young forwards coming
I'm leaning more towards keeping Marner unless we get a trade offer that is of fair value or his salary demands are ridiculous (e.g., I'm not paying him a penny more than Nylander).

However, going forward I'd keep him away from Matthews line except on the PP. It spreads the talent more evenly and keeps the two from double-dipping on the same stat outcomes for the purposes of future salary.

Let JT walk, trade Jarnkrok and Kampf, move Liljegren, to create cap space.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I'm not conflicted. I've seen enough. He doesn't do anything remarkable. He's the new Carl Gunnarsson. A perfectly fine player with no defining characteristics to his play and not terribly hard to replace. He isn't a Treliving type player either, so I doubt he's on the roster next season.

Yep. Right now I'd even have him having higher odds of moving on than Robertson.

Tre likely wants Pridham to maximize the dollars he can spend on D men that fits his mold of guys.

And changing up the D is literally something he's talked about openly since his first week on the job.

Reactions: Kiwi and TMLAM34

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I'm leaning more towards keeping Marner unless we get a trade offer that is of fair value or his salary demands are ridiculous (e.g., I'm not paying him a penny more than Nylander).

However, going forward I'd keep him away from Matthews line except on the PP. It spreads the talent more evenly and keeps the two from double-dipping on the same stat outcomes for the purposes of future salary.

Let JT walk, trade Jarnkrok and Kampf, move Liljegren, to create cap space.

I'd be willing to give JT another couple of years but he's going to be paid like a good 3rd line center, not a top 6 forward

I think we can find another center but finding two will be a pain in the butt

Reactions: Menzinger

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
Re sign Bert. He's proven to be a good top 6 player here and this way guys like Greb, Cowan and Minten and whatever prospect who'll probably be on the Leafs in the next 1-2 seasons won't be forced to play in the top 6 and not matched against top competition their 1st year in the league. Gonna have a minimum of 4 guys on ELCs in 2-3 years with Greb, Cowan, Minten and Niemela and you can even add in a few more like Hildeby and possibly even Tverberg. With Tavares huge contract coming off the books and the cap rising to like 93 mil by that time we'll have more than enough money to spend on the defence and whatever other holes we'll need.

Reactions: Malachi Crunch

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Agree with signing Domi but anything above 4 is a no for me. I'd offer him 4 yrs x 4 million. If he doesn't take it, then move on.

Liljegren I expect to be moved this off season. He hasn't been able to make the jump to solidify being a top 4 defenseman.

Agree with signing Roy but I feel like there's a team out there that's going to offer him 7 years which he'll probably take. I wouldn't go more then 5 yrs. Offer would be 5 yrs x 5.75 million.

Instead of Provorov, I'd rather us look at signing Brady Skjei. It's going to cost us in the neighborhood of 6.5-7 million but he would really help out with the offense from the backend and solidify that second pairing.

Cowan won't be ready next year but with Holmberg looking like a legit center, I would look at moving Kampf this off season and if Minten shows he's ready then he takes the 3rd line center position with Holmberg now your 4th line shutdown center.

Let's not forget about Grebyonkin who might be ahead of both Cowan and Minten when it comes to being NHL ready. Kid was a stud in the KHL, and with Bertuzzi most likely not coming back, Grebyonkin might be given a great top 9 opportunity.

If money is still available, I'd look at adding Dylan Demelo as well. We really need to solidify our defense this off season.

Domi-Matthews-Nylander
Knies-Tavares-Marner
Grebyonkin-Minten-Jarnkrok
Dewar-Holmberg-Reaves

Rielly-Roy
Skjei-Demelo
Benoit-McCabe
Zero percent chance we sign basically the top 3 defenceman in free agency.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Yep. Right now I'd even have him having higher odds of moving on than Robertson.

Tre likely wants Pridham to maximize the dollars he can spend on D men that fits his mold of guys.

And changing up the D is literally something he's talked about openly since his first week on the job.
I'd still prefer to not have them move Liljegren. Treliving arguably has done quite a bit to change the group already and the amount of pending UFAs alone back there (and I probably wouldn't re-sign the majority of them) should allow for even more of a different look.

Reactions: aingefan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad