Confirmed with Link: Avs acquire G Alexander Georgiev for 2022 3rd, 2022 5th, and 2023 3rd

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Grubs wasn't exactly loved in Washington or Colorado either, but it worked. Same with Varly in Washington, not every teammate is going to be universally loved like Frank or Barrie were.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
One final thing I'm going to say about this which has also been stated by some Rangers fans: if there really was a locker room issue no doubt it would've been dealt with by shipping Georgiev away a long time ago. Rangers are moving on from him because they can't afford him, not because they don't like him.

Now, get him and Nuke signed and move on to dealing with Manson. Lehkonen is probably drunk as F with Rantanen at the biggest Finnish music festival of the summer so maybe he can be done next week.

Reactions: Pokecheque

Bone Breaker

Apr 2, 2015
Tokyo
I couldnt care less if Georgiev has some issues in the room. Id take both Kanes in a heartbeat if possible, because it would make this team better. and Georgiev does make this team better (than with Darcy swiss cheese Kuemper). maybe not by a big margin like most would like, but still... he is cheaper. and we already know we can win a cup with trash goaltending. so even if all goes wrong with Geo... we are still cup contenders.

also he was born in Bulgaria. and I just love when my team has some guys from random countries. reminds me of the excitement around Rendulic, Salei, Martinsen, Skrastins...

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I couldnt care less if Georgiev has some issues in the room. Id take both Kanes in a heartbeat if possible, because it would make this team better. and Georgiev does make this team better (than with Darcy swiss cheese Kuemper). maybe not by a big margin like most would like, but still... he is cheaper. and we already know we can win a cup with trash goaltending. so even if all goes wrong with Geo... we are still cup contenders.

also he was born in Bulgaria. and I just love when my team has some guys from random countries. reminds me of the excitement around Rendulic, Salei, Martinsen, Skrastins...

There's a distinct difference between a player who's just unpleasant, and a player who's an outright horrible human being. Georgiev should not be thrown in with the same lot as DeAngelo or either Kane.

Bone Breaker

Apr 2, 2015
Tokyo
There's a distinct difference between a player who's just unpleasant, and a player who's an outright horrible human being. Georgiev should not be thrown in with the same lot as DeAngelo or either Kane.
Im just saying I wouldnt have a big problem having those guys in the team, so why would I have problems with Geo? for me, its completely fine. when I was younger, one of my favorite players was Oliwa, so whatever. lol

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

It boggles my mind a little that Rangers fans would know what a POS DeAngelo is, know that he didn't get along with Georgiev, and then assume Georgiev was the guy in the wrong.

Especially when this was the incident that led to DeAngelo being waived. Which probably angered the other shitty humans on the Rangers that were DeAngelo's friends and ostracized Georgiev even more.

George lets in a bit of a soft goal in OT. Then DeAngelo waives his hand at him and embarrass him on the ice, even though he didn't make any real effort to block the shot. Then he reportedly said something to Georgiev while they were leaving down the tunnel, and George punched him or something and it had to be broken up.

That's a dick move all around from DeAngelo and why no one should take his side. Unless you're a selfish asshole like DeAngelo, you don't do any of that to your goaltender no matter what.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Im just saying I wouldnt have a big problem having those guys in the team, so why would I have problems with Geo? for me, its completely fine. when I was younger, one of my favorite players was Oliwa, so whatever. lol

And I'm saying I would. Patrick Kane by all accounts seems downright harmonious with his teammates in the locker room (after all, they all agreed to stay quiet when one of their teammates was sexually assaulted, so hey, whatever, unity!) but he's also a man with a track record of violence against women and cab drivers, so I could give a f*** about how "likeable" he is. Evander is the rare bird who appears to be despised both in and out of the locker room.

It's a separate conversation with that and Georgiev.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
It boggles my mind a little that Rangers fans would know what a POS DeAngelo is, know that he didn't get along with Georgiev, and then assume Georgiev was the guy in the wrong.

Especially when this was the incident that led to DeAngelo being waived. Which probably angered the other shitty humans on the Rangers that were DeAngelo's friends and ostracized Georgiev even more.

George lets in a bit of a soft goal in OT. Then DeAngelo waives his hand at him and embarrass him on the ice, even though he didn't make any real effort to block the shot. Then he reportedly said something to Georgiev while they were leaving down the tunnel, and George punched him or something and it had to be broken up.

That's a dick move all around from DeAngelo and why no one should take his side. Unless you're a selfish asshole like DeAngelo, you don't do any of that to your goaltender no matter what.

I cannot wait to see Tortorella try Ristolainen and DeAngelo together as a pairing only to dissolve into a raging pile of ash when they leave Carter Hart completely out to dry.

That highlight shows just how horrible DeAngelo is defensively. Like, people have bitched and moaned about Girard and Barrie, they haven't seen what a one-dimensional puckmover actually looks like.

• Haha
Reactions: DanishAvsfan

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015
As a Bolts fan, recently defeated by you guys, I come in peace.

That's a solid trade.

Fran/Georgi will provide you with the stability you want in the net. And with your defense and few other tweaks, hopefully we'll see other in the Final for a few more years to come (until we get too old and fade away).

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
I cannot wait to see Tortorella try Ristolainen and DeAngelo together as a pairing only to dissolve into a raging pile of ash when they leave Carter Hart completely out to dry.

That highlight shows just how horrible DeAngelo is defensively. Like, people have bitched and moaned about Girard and Barrie, they haven't seen what a one-dimensional puckmover actually looks like.

Gotta think they’ll pair Provorov and DeAngelo

Puckstop40

Aug 23, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
Who dislikes him? People on this board? They hated Kuemper early on. And Manson. And half of us want to trade Rantanen on any given day.
Kuemper redeemed himself from November on, and while his playoffs weren't stellar, he got the job done.
Manson was a beast and will be a tough act to replace if the money doesn't work.
Georgiev is a question mark. I get that. But his upside is considerable. I like the move and see it paying off. Maybe my optimism will turn out to bee unfounded. But I'm not over here in sackcloth and ashes until he proves otherwise.

Edit: I've said as much before here, but your username prompts a repeat: IRL I am a cynical pessimist, but tend to be a brightsider when it comes to hockey. Maybe because this is my distraction from the realities of life, so I can afford some hope.
That came off more depressing than intended.

I have to disagree. The Avalanche won in spite of his play. He did not instill any confidence and it took a team playing some of the most dominant playoff hockey of all-time to look past how bad he was. He was no where near the player he was in the regular season and I’ve stated many times I’ll give him slack because we don’t know the extent of his eye injury. Kuemper almost lost the series against the Blues on his own, and let in far more soft/questionable goals than making key saves throughout the playoffs. He is not worth his asking price in my opinion. As you can tell, his play in the playoffs left a sour taste in my mouth.

Manson definitely struggled when he first got here, but once he was acclimated, he played a vital role and stepped his game up. He was a gamer for the Ducks too.

Georgiev is a gamble. He is young, has upside, and like many others have said, very competitive. I’d rather take the money Kuemper is looking for and try to keep as much as the team together as possible. Even if Georgiev shits the bed, I’d still be happy with the decision of letting Kuemper walk. He is not going to be worth is asking price just as Grubauer was.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Georgiev speaks good English and says the right things in interviews. Encouraging because the word is he has bad attitude and I don't see it, at least not in that interview

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012

Torts legitimately might murder DeAngelo

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Where is @Gigantor The Goalie when we need him?!
Giving my wife a break from a very hungry and attention demanding baby haha
Also wanted to give my thoughts a chance to properly formulate before coming out with any hot takes that later turn ice cold.

So after watching some video of Georgiev and looking at the data I have Parkkila/Sakic are approaching the goaltending position in a way that isn't really looked into often. Teams are often concerned with finding the best goalie available. That's what the Avs did last year and were mostly successful with Kuemper who had a top 5 season statistically with the playoffs being a write off between the injury as well as the uniqueness of the situation in front of him. Could write a dissertation about the Avs defensive performance and the effects on goaltending.

So what Sakic/Parkkila are thinking is the best goalie available is usually the one you draft and develop yourself. A non-team drafted goalie hasn't won the Cup as a starter since 2011 when Tim Thomas did it and now Kuemper has done it for the Avs. The Avs don't have anyone particularly close so they are forced to look outside the team. They can either pay a premium & close to overpaid contract to a UFA goalie or they get creative. Sakic is getting creative here because he realizes that the chances of getting a goalie outside of the Avs development system that is star level is slim to none so why bother paying a contract that will have diminishing returns forcing you to cut from your strengths like your defense or forward depth.

So instead of going for the best goalie available, the Avs are going for the best fit available in Georgiev. You watch Georgiev play and you immediately think "oh yeah he plays the Parkkila way". He's a very quick goalie in his movements and has real solid structure. His reads are decent and he gets aggressive in that way Parkkila loves. What he needs to get better at is consistency & learning how to get set when he's being that aggressive.

What they've also done is get themselves a goalie on the cusp of entering their prime as well. From the research I've done the average goalie hits their prime at age 26 and lasts to 29, then at 30 they hit a drop off. Georgiev is set to hit his statistical prime this coming season. Not only are they getting a goalie with the potential to be a really good fit but one that we should be getting his best years out of. There's a reason to have excitement with this move. If it works out we have our starting goalie for the next four seasons, locked up to a value deal allowing Sakic to continue getting good players.

WhereO Is Kakko

Mar 24, 2022
Hard not to laugh at the Rangers fans who thought Georgiev was going to get way more.
Funny that, eh? We all expected (hoped?) he would be traded LAST off-season. Drury blinked, and next thing you know Georgi sits and stews watching Igor have one of the best goalie seasons ever, with his trade value death-spiraling each passing day.

Rangers fans should be happy we got anything at this point - quantity of picks over quality, well ok we’ll take it.

Avs fans, I truly believe, are going to be celebrating the sh*t out of this trade come next May.

niwotsblessing

May 1, 2010
City of Holy Faith
Funny that, eh? We all expected (hoped?) he would be traded LAST off-season. Drury blinked, and next thing you know Georgi sits and stews watching Igor have one of the best goalie seasons ever, with his trade value death-spiraling each passing day.

Rangers fans should be happy we got anything at this point - quantity of picks over quality, well ok we’ll take it.

Avs fans, I truly believe, are going to be celebrating the sh*t out of this trade come next May.
Thanks for sharing your take, it's good to hear from someone closer to the action at MSG.

But I believe you meant next June. :thumbu:

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
I am worried it affects Georgiev salary demands.
It really shouldn't. He's coming from a down year. He can either take the QO and sign for 1 year, or take around the same (slightly more) and sign for around 3 years. He's not holding many cards here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad