Confirmed with Link: Avs acquire D Devon Toews from NYI for 2021 2nd and 2022 2nd

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I completely agree with most of this, but I think Makar should be in the MacKinnon spot on the left circle, not the right. The issue with that is there is only room for one player there and you'll have to split their units. Makar just isn't at this point a natural PP QB. It is something that can be learned over time, but it just isn't a big strength of his. Swapping G or Toews to the top unit to allow them to QB that unit, and allowing the other to feed Makar on the left circle in the shooting spot would improve both PPs. Makar would have the MacKinnon freedom in that spot and could be the puck rusher on gaining the zone. It allows him to better utilize his vision, skating and shooting ability without having to defer as much to MacK and Rants. Whoever is on the top unit would be fine differing.

Do you mean "deferring"?

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
The thing with Makar on the PP is that he as not shown he can on-time the puck on a regular basis.

If Toews can do that I would not be against a rotation between them to give the opponent different looks.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
The thing with Makar on the PP is that he as not shown he can on-time the puck on a regular basis.

If Toews can do that I would not be against a rotation between them to give the opponent different looks.

I could be wrong, but I think the broadcast clocked his one-timer in the Blues game in the mid to high 90MPH’s too. So, it’s obviously not just a soft one-timer, either.

Matt Roberts

May 26, 2019
Maybe what Makar needs to unlock his skill on the PP is to have another Dman (eg. Byram, or Girard/Toews) playing on the PP next to him. The movement on the point would encourage Makar to be more dynamic on the PP, in a similar manner to how Girard and Toews play off each other.
This is what I'd like to see. Kadri and Landeskog are redundant on that PP1 anyway. Bump Kadri down to PP2 with Bura and Nuke, open a spot for Byram on the second unit and you just may improve both units simultaneously.

Reactions: arun

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC

I think part of it is he isn't ready to one-time the puck.

Oftentimes he'll pass off the puck and go to a completely upright stance on the PP, it doesn't give the passer an option to set Makar up for a one-timer. It's one of those things that needs to be coached out of him IMO.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
I could be wrong, but I think the broadcast clocked his one-timer in the Blues game in the mid to high 90MPH’s too. So, it’s obviously not just a soft one-timer, either.
I’m not saying he can’t do it. I’m saying he does not do it consistently. His on-timer is way down the list of the PP options.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
I think part of it is he isn't ready to one-time the puck.

Oftentimes he'll pass off the puck and go to a completely upright stance on the PP, it doesn't give the passer an option to set Makar up for a one-timer. It's one of those things that needs to be coached out of him IMO.
Possibly, or he just isn’t really good at it. Not all players can do it really well.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I’m not saying he can’t do it. I’m saying he does not do it consistently. His on-timer is way down the list of the PP options.

I was talking about Toews. I believe it was on his goal in the Blues game that they mentioned it on the broadcast.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
I was talking about Toews. I believe it was on his goal in the Blues game that they mentioned it on the broadcast.
Oh, all right. No need to convince me on Toews, his one-timer is fluid, when the pass comes straight at him. I would need to see how he does when the pass comes from the side (harder).

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Oh, all right. No need to convince me on Toews, his one-timer is fluid, when the pass comes straight at him. I would need to see how he does when the pass comes from the side (harder).

He hasn’t had much of an opportunity to do it with the Avs, but here’s a couple off platform blasts from his time with the Isles that resulted in goals.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
He hasn’t had much of an opportunity to do it with the Avs, but here’s a couple off platform blasts from his time with the Isles that resulted in goals.

Thanks for the videos. First one is a bit of an half-slapper in motion and the other is low-to-high.

What I want to see is, from the side with the full wind-up, not in motion. I guess we will see it shortly.

Reactions: Northern Avs Fan

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

I think Toews has such a bomb because of the way he hits the puck.

He doesn't just hammer it, he whips it perfectly off the tape on his blade. This gets the puck spinning like crazy and even picks up speed as it's going instead of slowing down.

That's why it's more of a "heavy" shot that can cause big rebounds. Looks like that's what he does on the first video you posted too.

Watch the way the puck comes off his blade here.

giphy.gif

MaKarter

Big Game Bo
Jun 21, 2019
Fort Collins CO
I think Toews has such a bomb because of the way he hits the puck.

He doesn't just hammer it, he whips it perfectly off the tape on his blade. This gets the puck spinning like crazy and even picks up speed as it's going instead of slowing down.

That's why it's more of a "heavy" shot that can cause big rebounds. Looks like that's what he does on the first video you posted too.

Watch the way the puck comes off his blade here.

giphy.gif
That is a beautiful view of that goal.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
I think not only is Cale not the greatest at stationary creation, neither is Mackinnon. With our stars, I generally feel like we need a more mobile PP - in terms of player movement and puck movement. Rolling Byram out there with Cale would allow each of them to carry it deep more often knowing another dman was back. Also gets Kadri off PP1

Reactions: xpatriatedtexan

CoachBadkitten

Matt Hunwick
Jul 25, 2012
Colorado
Through all the doom and gloom so far this year, holy f*** has Devon Toews been good. I literally cannot recall him having a bad game yet. He’s so smooth and consistent and really is the perfect complement to all our other young dynamic d-men.

Pro scouting and Sakic deserve all the praise they can get for this one. What a bargain price we got him at too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad