Confirmed with Link: Avs acquire D Devon Toews from NYI for 2021 2nd and 2022 2nd

Captain Pilsner

Sep 1, 2005
Toews has been great this year, but is not getting the same responsibilities since his injury. Do you see him getting back on first PP, etc. soon?

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
He never played first PP and likely never will.

If Toews ever gets consistent PP1 time on the Avs something very bad happened, and that really isn't a statement on Toews.

The Duchene trade will always be Sakic's golden crown, but man the Toews acquisition might be his best move outside of that. I'm not sure I'd call him a full blown top pairing guy but he's just fine there next to a Makar or a Girard. Two seconds were an easy price to pay.

Captain Pilsner

Sep 1, 2005
Thanks guys, I was mistaken on his PP role. Love the player and the trade. Appreciate your insights. Toews is already a key cog to balancing the blueline

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Honestly though, shouldn't Toews get consideration for the top unit power play? He's not nearly as maneuverable or fast as Makar or Girard, but he's got a better shot IMO than either of them. Not saying that's the end-all consideration but I wish the Avs had a better shooting option in that top slot spot, it would make things easier for MacKinnon and Rantanen to take their shots as well.

In any event I LOVE seeing Toews on the penalty kill. He does such a better job getting to the puck and securing it, not to mention clearing it out effectively, than other guys normally on the kill do.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Unless Makar or the PP is struggling, I think he needs to be on the top unit.

Toews may have a better slapper, but Cale's wrist shot, whether it's from the top of the point, or when he slides down low might be the most dangerous weapon on the power play.

He just needs to shoot more on the PP this year. That's been the issue IMO.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Makar is more than likely a lock as the top PP unit QB for the next 10+ years.

I really liked Toews with Girard on PP2. Girard can move the puck well and Toews has a great shot. Good combo.

Reactions: LTC Pain

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
It's too bad for Bo, because I really think Bo might have it in him to be pretty close to Makar as the best PPQB. He's also the best distributor of the puck among the D men on the PP IMO.

But how do you take Cale off the 1st unit, and how do you not use G and Toews when they've been doing so well?

Only way to get Bo some PP time is to use four D men, and they still don't appear to want to do that on the top unit at least. Even when Makar and Girard were both out, they still went with one D man on each unit with Toews and Timmins for some reason I still can't figure out.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I wish they'd run 2 D on each PP unit.

Mack, Mikko, Landy, G, Makar Unit 1

Bura, Saad, Naz, Toews, Bo unit 2.

Dong or Nuke could get time if they're playing well.

I would too, but I think they should keep G and Toews together. They seem to have some pretty good chemistry.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
It's too bad for Bo, because I really think Bo might have it in him to be pretty close to Makar as the best PPQB. He's also the best distributor of the puck among the D men on the PP IMO.

But how do you take Cale off the 1st unit, and how do you not use G and Toews when they've been doing so well?

Only way to get Bo some PP time is to use four D men, and they still don't appear to want to do that on the top unit at least. Even when Makar and Girard were both out, they still went with one D man on each unit with Toews and Timmins for some reason I still can't figure out.

I don’t think it’s the worst thing for Byram to come in and get a bunch of 5v5 minutes. That’s where he’s going to make his money moving forward anyways.

It would be nice if they put him out on PP’s when the score is lopsided though, just for experience.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I wish they'd run 2 D on each PP unit.

Mack, Mikko, Landy, G, Makar Unit 1

Bura, Saad, Naz, Toews, Bo unit 2.

Dong or Nuke could get time if they're playing well.

I think this is a good idea. The only reason most teams have moved away from a 2D power play is that long bombs from the point just aren’t effective anymore. The defensemen the Avs have work down low anyway so that’s not an issue.

Reactions: Bill Peckerskull

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I don’t think it’s the worst thing for Byram to come in and get a bunch of 5v5 minutes. That’s where he’s going to make his money moving forward anyways.

It would be nice if they put him out on PP’s when the score is lopsided though, just for experience.

It's not the worst thing, I'm just really not a big fan of risking atrophy in the skill and offense of young players.

Bo is too skilled and too smart not to have an offensive role on a team, but I worry that because they have so much talent on the blueline, they may keep Bo in a more defensive role for a little bit because he's already one of, if not the best defenseman on the team defensively. Minus the rookie hiccups.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Not that we should actively seek to limit Byram's development, but there's a silver-lining in Byram not getting lots of PP time, as it could lead to him getting him locked in long-term on a contract similar to Girard's.

Reactions: Balthazar

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
It's not the worst thing, I'm just really not a big fan of risking atrophy in the skill and offense of young players.

Bo is too skilled and too smart not to have an offensive role on a team, but I worry that because they have so much talent on the blueline, they may keep Bo in a more defensive role for a little bit because he's already one of, if not the best defenseman on the team defensively. Minus the rookie hiccups.

I’m kinda of pumping the brakes on the Byram being the best defensive D-man on the team. At least for now.

His first 5-6 games he looked dominant defensively, but showed some cracks after that. I think he profiles as the best defensive defenceman on the team long term, but I don’t think he is right now.

I’d have all of Makar, Girard, and Toews ahead of him for the time being.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I’m kinda of pumping the brakes on the Byram being the best defensive D-man on the team. At least for now.

His first 5-6 games he looked dominant defensively, but showed some cracks after that. I think he profiles as the best defensive defenceman on the team long term, but I don’t think he is right now.

I’d have all of Makar, Girard, and Toews ahead of him for the time being.

Makar struggled early on this year defensively too. Toews is fine defensively, but Bo is just way better in all areas. Minus the rookie hiccups like I said.

Girard is really smart defensively, but like we've seen recently, when he loses body position he gets in trouble because of his lack of strength and reach. This limits how good he can be defensively.

These are the kind of plays Bo makes all the time. And he did it as a 19 year old rookie in perhaps his worst game of the season, against the 6'6" 230 lb beast Greenway. You don't see the other defenseman on the team except EJ making this kind of perfect defensive play.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Makar struggled early on this year defensively too. Toews is fine defensively, but Bo is just way better in all areas. Minus the rookie hiccups like I said.

Girard is really smart defensively, but like we've seen recently, when he loses body position he gets in trouble because of his lack of strength and reach. This limits how good he can be defensively.

These are the kind of plays Bo makes all the time. And he did it as a 19 year old rookie in perhaps his worst game of the season, against the 6'6" 230 lb beast Greenway. You don't see the other defenseman on the team except EJ making this kind of perfect defensive play.

Makar buried Greenway in the final couple minutes of that game to end a cycle attempt. So, I wouldn’t say Byram is the only one doing it.

Byram is ridiculously good for his age at winning board battles though. In both zones.

He’s going to be a defensive rock and has already been quite good in the D zone this season, I’m just not quite willing to elevate him above those guys yet.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Not that we should actively seek to limit Byram's development, but there's a silver-lining in Byram not getting lots of PP time, as it could lead to him getting him locked in long-term on a contract similar to Girard's.

I think that's pretty unlikely though. He'd have to go three years without PP time, and that's a really bad idea IMO.

He has too much promise and leverage as a 4th overall pick to sign a year early like Girard did. I don't see his agent doing that unless it's a big deal. I think he'll probably get bridged on a one or two year deal, and then they'll give him his big deal after they let Toews walk as a UFA.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Makar buried Greenway in the final couple minutes of that game to end a cycle attempt. So, I wouldn’t say Byram is the only one doing it.

Byram is ridiculously good for his age at winning board battles though. In both zones.

He’s going to be a defensive rock and has already been quite good in the D zone this season, I’m just not quite willing to elevate him above those guys yet.

Fair enough. I just feel like Byram has made the most "good defensive plays" so far this year. He makes lots of them every game, even when he wasn't on his game.

After Byram I'd say Girard has the second most so far, then Makar, then Toews/Graves. I think EJ would be up there with Byram if he had played all the games though.

I think Makar has gotten better of late, and is capable of being quite good defensively, but he had a slow start in the defensive department this year IMO.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Fair enough. I just feel like Byram has made the most "good defensive plays" so far this year. He makes lots of them every game, even when he wasn't on his game.

After Byram I'd say Girard has the second most so far, then Makar, then Toews/Graves. I think EJ would be up there with Byram if he had played all the games though.

I think Makar has gotten better of late, and is capable of being quite good defensively, but he had a slow start in the defensive department this year IMO.

I don’t know, I think Makar’s defence is pretty underrated.

His defensive numbers are the best of any defenceman on the team. He forces more turnovers than everyone else and is really our only D who looks to jump and break plays up in the neutral zone.

With how good Byram is 1v1 and his extra height/reach I think he’ll be the number one defensive D eventually.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I don’t know, I think Makar’s defence is pretty underrated.

His defensive numbers are the best of any defenceman on the team. He forces more turnovers than everyone else and is really our only D who looks to jump and break plays up in the neutral zone.

With how good Byram is 1v1 and his extra height/reach I think he’ll be the number one defensive D eventually.

I agree, I think Makar will be better than Girard soon defensively because he doesn't have the same strength and reach limitations.

I'm just talking about so far this year. If Bo gets knocked for the rookie moments he's had lately, then Makar should for his start to the season where he looked a little lost to me defensively.

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006
Honestly though, shouldn't Toews get consideration for the top unit power play? He's not nearly as maneuverable or fast as Makar or Girard, but he's got a better shot IMO than either of them. Not saying that's the end-all consideration but I wish the Avs had a better shooting option in that top slot spot, it would make things easier for MacKinnon and Rantanen to take their shots as well.

In any event I LOVE seeing Toews on the penalty kill. He does such a better job getting to the puck and securing it, not to mention clearing it out effectively, than other guys normally on the kill do.

PP1 will always run through MacK so Makar's strengths distributing the puck are wasted in a way. Having a guy who just bombs shots from the blue line isn't a bad thing.

Reactions: Pokecheque

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I agree, I think Makar will be better than Girard soon defensively because he doesn't have the same strength and reach limitations.

I'm just talking about so far this year. If Bo gets knocked for the rookie moments he's had lately, then Makar should for his start to the season where he looked a little lost to me defensively.

I was talking about this season too. Makar was giving up less than all other Avs defenceman.

There’s a reason he was the Norris front runner before he got injured and it wasn’t just because of his offence.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad