Confirmed with Link: Avs acquire Caleb Jones for Cal Burke

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I'd venture to guess he gets ~50 games, but the difference between him or Malinski getting those minutes is essentially nothing. It has basically no impact on our team who the #7D is, they aren't going to impact this teams success or failure this year, its a meaningless roster spot essentially.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
It's not just points, it's a number of side effects. For example a shitty 3rd pair affects greatly the first pair ice time, it's quite a big deal over 50 games. Our first pairing is prone to fatigue and injuries.

We also gotta keep JJ away from top 4 minutes for many reasons.
That can be solved with coaching adjustments though. Bednar has to be willing to not overplay his top guys.

NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

Oct 23, 2022
So you're not happy with our #6D, #7D, #8D etc.?

I personally think we have the best defence in the NHL. Every team has a defense that looks bad when you lose two defensemen from the lineup.
Do other teams lose two defense as often though?

That's a big reason why the depth seems so bad. The Avs seem to have guys playing up in the lineup way more often than other teams.

Both at F and D.

Reactions: Balthazar

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
He overplays them when the 3rd pair sucks ass. Guess who plays PK and 29:00/game when the 3rd pair is unreliable? That's exactly my point.

Bednar is going to have to adjust. With the cap situation, he's not getting perfect guys for #7D roles. The money doesn't and won't exist in the next 4-5-6 years.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Is Caleb Jones really that much worse than Connauton or Murray?
Than Murray, yeah. Murray when healthy, has been a legit 5D. Connauton, he's different but similar level.

My issue with Jones over some other options is simply he's not a safe PK sort of guy that Bednar likes in the role. He's a slightly better Malinski with the same faults.

I much prefer this path though of getting a guy who has gone through waivers for the flexibility. Grabbing a guy off waivers and being forced to keep them up while basically having the same faults just wasn't worth the asset savings.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
There aren't many teams that have better defensive depth than Avs. We have crazy defensive depth IMO.

Toews - Makar <- no need to comment
Byram - Manson <- two second pairing level guys
Girard - JJ <- good second pairing defenseman playing on the third line. Then a #6-7D as #6D. Can you expect a lot more?

Manson is more of a 5/6 D than 2nd pairing now, and JJ more of a 7/8 than a 6D. Girard though is a 2nd pairing calibre Dman.

Add a 2RHD and everyone is slotted well:

Toews - Makar
Byram - xxxx
Girard - Manson
JJ

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I like this, Burke was a waste of a contract just like Beaucage, Miner, Smallman, Stienburg and Weinstein are.

At least Jones can be useful in the NHL unlike the rest.
I disagree entirely on Burke. He was a solid AHL guy for this organization.

I think the trade is fine because it addressed a more important need, but Burke wasn't a waste at all, compared to the likes of MIner and Beaucage.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
That can be solved with coaching adjustments though. Bednar has to be willing to not overplay his top guys.
We all know this but he's extremely unlikely to change at this point.

So you're not happy with our #6D, #7D, #8D etc.?

I personally think we have the best defence in the NHL. Every team has a defense that looks bad when you lose two defensemen from the lineup.
But not every team loses 2 defensemen as often as we do.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Than Murray, yeah. Murray when healthy, has been a legit 5D. Connauton, he's different but similar level.

My issue with Jones over some other options is simply he's not a safe PK sort of guy that Bednar likes in the role. He's a slightly better Malinski with the same faults.

I much prefer this path though of getting a guy who has gone through waivers for the flexibility. Grabbing a guy off waivers and being forced to keep them up while basically having the same faults just wasn't worth the asset savings.
Murray makes less brain dead plays but i think he had a bigger role than number 7 at least when we signed him, so i probably shouldnt have brought up him as a comparison. Not that murray could ever stay healthy.

I do agree this isnt a typical bednar number 6 guy. That would have been nemeth lol.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
But not every team loses 2 defensemen as often as we do.
We have plenty of AHL tweener depth on defense.

It is unfortunate that we can only carry one second pairing defenseman on the third pair (and of course, in return, a third pairing defenseman on the second pair).

Reactions: Murzu

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
We have plenty of AHL tweener depth on defense.

It is unfortunate that we can only carry one second pairing defenseman on the third pair (and of course, in return, a third pairing defenseman on the second pair).
Oh FFS we don't need more 2nd pair dmen on the 3rd pair, we need more 3rd pairing guys for the 3rd pair. Stop looking at the number of top guys, that's obviously not an issue.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Oh FFS we don't need more 2nd pair dmen on the 3rd pair, we need more 3rd pairing guys for the 3rd pair. Stop looking at the number of top guys, that's obviously not an issue.
Would love to have 2021 EJ on a 800K deal but theres none available.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Would love to have 2021 EJ on a 800K deal but theres none available.
The crux of the cap issue is that good 3rd pairing guys make between 2.5 and 3.5m... and the Avs simply can't afford that level of commitment to the position unless they move somebody. So the Avs are going to have to get by with 800k #6/7D and adjust for it as long as this team is kept together.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
The crux of the cap issue is that good 3rd pairing guys make between 2.5 and 3.5m... and the Avs simply can't afford that level of commitment to the position unless they move somebody. So the Avs are going to have to get by with 800k #6/7D and adjust for it as long as this team is kept together.
Yup. Its either paid the money (we dont have), draft super well and get a ELC (nope) or use your proscouting edge. We've done it with Graves, so maybe we can do it again. Even Holden, Nemeth, were okay.

NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

Oct 23, 2022
Yup. Its either paid the money (we dont have), draft super well and get a ELC (nope) or use your proscouting edge. We've done it with Graves, so maybe we can do it again. Even Holden, Nemeth, were okay.
Like the random throw in D prospect in the Nieto trade. Sometimes you get a gem from digging through other people's feces.

Other times you just have dig through other people's feces for the enjoyment with no prize at the end.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Like the random throw in D prospect in the Nieto trade. Sometimes you get a gem from digging through other people's feces.

Other times you just have dig through other people's feces for the enjoyment with no prize at the end.
Yup. The only way to up those low odds is to go through as much feces as possible. Gotta be willing to enjoy that experience

Reactions: NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad