Confirmed with Link: Avs acquire Caleb Jones for Cal Burke

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Csn he have a positive impact when playing and a 6 or is this a replacement/sub replacement guy?
He shouldn't be more than sub... he's not a great player. Won't hurt you if you're only looking at a snippet of the season, but if he plays the majority of games, his issues will come to light and cause some problems.

NorthernAvsFan

Jun 25, 2014
Pretty smart move Imo.

You let a guy go with no future in the organization for a defenceman with 200+ NHL games of experience.

I think he slots into the 7, or 8 hole right away. Wouldn’t be surprised if he plays 20-25 games this year.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I like it. We have a log jam everywhere but cal burke is taking valuable ice time from youngsters like ivan ivan, JLF and to a lesser extent Steinburg.

On defense, whose really developing there? Malinski is 25, everyone else has multiple AHL years. Might even have Jones up here for a bit.
I think this also means that Kiviranta/Holland will be signed making Burke more or less useless.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
I like it. We have a log jam everywhere but cal burke is taking valuable ice time from youngsters like ivan ivan, JLF and to a lesser extent Steinburg.

On defense, whose really developing there? Malinski is 25, everyone else has multiple AHL years. Might even have Jones up here for a bit.
Carolina doesn't have an AHL team so they'll probably "loan" Burke back to the Eagles.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
The same people who think it doesn't matter who we have at #7 or #8 now predict 50 games a year for Jones. :dunce:
A #7 usually plays a lot and that’s normal (30-40 is more likely though). Now Jones playing 50 games likely has a points impact between -2 and -4. The significance of that for the Avs isn’t real high. Could be the difference between winning the Division and 2nd or 2nd and 3rd. That’s about it though. If the Avs were on the fringes of the Wild Card, it would be a much bigger deal. Right now, it doesn’t really change the outlook either way. 108 vs 104 points or so just isn’t worth it to get riled up on. Especially when you can gain back 2 at the deadline with better depth acquisitions.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
A #7 usually plays a lot and that’s normal (30-40 is more likely though). Now Jones playing 50 games likely has a points impact between -2 and -4. The significance of that for the Avs isn’t real high. Could be the difference between winning the Division and 2nd or 2nd and 3rd. That’s about it though. If the Avs were on the fringes of the Wild Card, it would be a much bigger deal. Right now, it doesn’t really change the outlook either way. 108 vs 104 points or so just isn’t worth it to get riled up on. Especially when you can gain back 2 at the deadline with better depth acquisitions.
It's not just points, it's a number of side effects. For example a shitty 3rd pair affects greatly the first pair ice time, it's quite a big deal over 50 games. Our first pairing is prone to fatigue and injuries.

We also gotta keep JJ away from top 4 minutes for many reasons.

niwotsblessing

May 1, 2010
City of Holy Faith
Jones is quite mobile as a defenceman and has some offensive skills, but is soft and doesn't make good decisions with the puck. So we're getting the same calibre, but opposite strength/weakness of JMFJ imo.
So, do they cancel one another out, like Pasta and Anti-Pasta, or do we meld them into one functional player?

It's not just points, it's a number of side effects. For example a shitty 3rd pair affects greatly the first pair ice time, it's quite a big deal over 50 games. Our first pairing is prone to fatigue and injuries.

We also gotta keep JJ away from top 4 minutes for many reasons.
Our first pair is prone to fatigue because Bednar overplays them in the regular season.

Reactions: cinchronicity

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Our first pair is prone to fatigue because Bednar overplays them in the regular season.
He overplays them when the 3rd pair sucks ass. Guess who plays PK and 29:00/game when the 3rd pair is unreliable? That's exactly my point.

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
He overplays them when the 3rd pair sucks ass. Guess who plays PK and 29:00/game when the 3rd pair is unreliable? That's exactly my point.

There aren't many teams that have better defensive depth than Avs. We have crazy defensive depth IMO.

Toews - Makar <- no need to comment
Byram - Manson <- two second pairing level guys
Girard - JJ <- good second pairing defenseman playing on the third line. Then a #6-7D as #6D. Can you expect a lot more?

Reactions: Foppa2118

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
There aren't many teams that have better defensive depth than Avs. We have crazy defensive depth IMO.

Toews - Makar <- no need to comment
Byram - Manson <- two second pairing level guys
Girard - JJ <- good second pairing defenseman playing on the third line. Then a #6-7D as #6D. Can you expect a lot more?
I'm not questioning the ceiling I'm questioning the floor. Of course we have many high end defensemen.

Avs2022

Jan 4, 2011
He'll play this many games:

12 games as Makar's sub.
10 games as Girard's sub (all in playoffs).
63 games to replace JJ after the first 2 weeks of the season.
77 games to fill in for Manson's injuries.

Yup, that adds up to 162 man games he'll play (I know that's not how it works but whatever).

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
I'm not questioning the ceiling I'm questioning the floor. Of course we have many high end defensemen.

So you're not happy with our #6D, #7D, #8D etc.?

I personally think we have the best defence in the NHL. Every team has a defense that looks bad when you lose two defensemen from the lineup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad