Post-Game Talk: Avs 4 - Wild 2 || Varlamov? VARLAMOV!

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I didn't see the last half of the 2nd, or most of the third.

But from what I saw,

EJ was a beast again. Easily a #1 Dman at this point. Continues to improve this season.

ROR is a sniper. He's scored some absolutely beautiful goals this year. We need to resign this guy asap. 6.5M for 5 years or 6 for 7 years is completely fine by me.

Landy and Stas have some awesome chemistry. Its very good to see both of them playing at a high level again. Hopefully Stas' isn't hurt for long. He and Landy have probably been our most consistent Duo this year.

Varly, one again a beast. I though he could have had Coyle's first goal, and probably wanted it back himself. Its not often he gets beat 5 whole. But he had a solid game all around. Made the big saves when we needed them.

Stollery was IMO ok. He wasn't going to come in and blow everyone away tonight. He probably had a pretty crazy last 24 hours and getting to his 1st NHL game tonight was probably nerve racking and a tiring experience all around. I wouldn't mind seeing a little more out of him. Although in saying that, I hope Barrie is back for Chicago.

I also don't get the Malkin hate around here. The guy is not a Top 6 forward but with the injuries we've had he has to play that role. Of course he wont look as good. But as a 3rd/4th line guy he has some really good puck possession skills, and he can find the open man on occasion. I actually like the guy on our 3rd or 4th line. His play to ROR for his first goal was real nice.

All in all. For a team playing the 2nd of a back to back, missing 5 Regular guys, and losing a 6th for the 3rd period, and in a huge 4 point game. That was probably one of the best efforts they could have gave, and it paid off huge for them. Huge night in the standings for the good guys.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Absolutely agree. He wasn't very noticeable, and I guess that's what you want from a defender who is an emergency call-up playing his first NHL game ever at the age of 26.

Seriously, I thought he was fine. People in here act like they expect this journeyman to come in and be the second coming of PK Subban or Shea Weber.

I mean I don't want him playing forever or anything but for an emergency call up he was fine.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
I think if Stastny is out for an extended amount of time, it is time to release the Hishon!

I don't think we will be seeing Hishon anytime this season, I would expect Sgarbossa, Olver or even Aggozino before Hishon. I think they really want him to show he can play a full year at that level before they put him in the NHL.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
Wow...the refs really do suck...Red Wings player tried to go up ice shorthanded, Doughty holds him and the RW guy gets called for holding, giving LA a 5 on 3. Then LA scores and Howard is interfered with, stands as a good goal. It's really not just us.

Avs For Life

#92 #9 #29
Jul 4, 2012
Denver, CO
Seriously, I thought he was fine. People in here act like they expect this journeyman to come in and be the second coming of PK Subban or Shea Weber.

I mean I don't want him playing forever or anything but for an emergency call up he was fine.

Agree with both of you. Stollery was just fine tonight. He kept his game very simple and ended with a +1. In other words...he did no harm to our team. Thats what you want in a call up. Simple safe plays.

Avs For Life

#92 #9 #29
Jul 4, 2012
Denver, CO
From the Wild GDT...

"Varlamov really seems like a douchey guy. Obviously I don't have any personal insight into it, but some of the stuff I've seen on him just screams tool."

Why because your player came in at the last second and Varly stopped him and talked a bit?

Joe Sakic

Kaut + 1st
Jul 19, 2010
Colorado
Brodziak drove to the net hard and bumped into Varly with a second or so left.

Ok I did see that. I wasn't sure if Varly said anything or not though.

Thx!

From the Wild GDT...

"Varlamov really seems like a douchey guy. Obviously I don't have any personal insight into it, but some of the stuff I've seen on him just screams tool."

Why because your player came in at the last second and Varly stopped him and talked a bit?

Lol I like how he says "...some of the stuff...". What else would he even be referring to?

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Mitchell should really be used on the wing again where his lack of defensive awareness won't hurt us as often. This McLeod-Mitchell-Talbot line just won't work. Not dangerous enough offensively and not good enough defensively. I'm seriously more comfortable playing our 4th line over this line.

ColoradoSportsFan

Jul 16, 2005
Denver, Colorado
Wow...the refs really do suck...Red Wings player tried to go up ice shorthanded, Doughty holds him and the RW guy gets called for holding, giving LA a 5 on 3. Then LA scores and Howard is interfered with, stands as a good goal. It's really not just us.

Sounds like good work to me
Yup...in that case the man is doing a damn fine job.

freeboy

Feb 27, 2012
Sunny Colorado
I was shocked duchy drew the holding when he got mugged and the Madmac drew the hook.... Shocking after the last few games
Our pp looks like we are a totally different team from the one that bad 30 pp dry spell.
I'm not taking anything but positives from this, winning in mini after playing last night and with our depleted roster

Go avs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad