Post-Game Talk: Avs 4 - Wild 2 || Varlamov? VARLAMOV!

Avs

Bozak + 2nd
Feb 9, 2013
Illinois
Varly is 8-0-5 in his last 13. Would you rather had him get lit up in a statement game for Blackhawks?

The Blackhawks havent been thst great lately, and I believe Giguere was a big reason why we lost that game. He couldn't stop a beachball thst night.

After the first goal he let in, I knew, and it looked like the Avs knew that game was over.

Not saying we will finish above the Hawks this year, but as someone said, we are closer to the Hawks in the standings than we are to the Wild. Why not go for it?

Edit: I am a goalie amd hate throwing them under the bus or blaming them for losses, but if I'm on the Avs, I dont have much confidence going into a game that Jiggy is starting after his last 5 starts.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I'd heavily bet Varly starting in Chicago. If Roy played him on the back to back he's certainly going to play him on 2 days rest. Bet Jiggy gets one of back to back in Florida. Maybe something like this weekend in Nashville but he's probably going to ride Varly a bit here.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
He hasn't earned a tough one lately. Avs want to win that one bad, they are not going to concede it. EJ and ROR talked about it in their post game comments. Start Varly and see what happens.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
If the Avs make the playoffs we're probably going to be facing the Blues or Hawks in the first round. Varlamov is this teams starter now and for the foreseeable future. You cannot shelter him from the top teams in the west simply because you're afraid of what the result might be. Varlamov should start against the Hawks, no doubt about it in my mind.

Avs

Bozak + 2nd
Feb 9, 2013
Illinois
Again, a big reason the shots were so lopsided is because the first goal Giguere let in totally deflated them. They knew they lost after that goal.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Again, a big reason the shots were so lopsided is because the first goal Giguere let in totally deflated them. They knew they lost after that goal.

Shots were so lopsided because Chicago wanted to make a statement. Blaming Giguere not only for the goals he allowed but also for the effort of the skaters? C'mon.

Avs would have gotten dominated with Varlamov in goal. Roy protected Varlamov, to let him continue ride the good streak.

Hans Landaskog

Feb 27, 2012
Denver
Shots were so lopsided because Chicago wanted to make a statement. Blaming Giguere not only for the goals he allowed but also for the effort of the skaters? C'mon.

Avs would have gotten dominated with Varlamov in goal. Roy protected Varlamov, to let him continue ride the good streak.

Varlamov should start. Go in, hold our own and win in front of him. That will be huge for us come playoffs if we face the hawks.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
But we will start Giguere if the play the Hawks in the playoffs. We have to shelter Varly against good teams.

What a childish argument. Surely you are realize the difference between managing the starts for a goaltender during a compressed 82 game regular season with Olympic games and who should start in the playoffs?

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I would want our #1 goalie playing in that game against the Hawks.

Starting Jiggy wouldn't be a guaranteed loss or admitting defeat before the game but he doesn't give us the best chance to win the game.

Avs

Bozak + 2nd
Feb 9, 2013
Illinois
What a childish argument. Surely you are realize the difference between managing the starts for a goaltender during a compressed 82 game regular season with Olympic games and who should start in the playoffs?

I get what youre saying to a point.

But it does no good to not start Varly against Chicago at this point of the season, especially since they are a potential playoff matchup.

You want to baby him the rest of the year against .500 teams, then tell him to start a 7 game series against the Hawks?

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I would want our #1 goalie playing in that game against the Hawks.

Starting Jiggy wouldn't be a guaranteed loss or admitting defeat before the game but he doesn't give us the best chance to win the game.

Varlamov has started 10 of the last 12 games. He's on pace to play 70 games + Olympic starts. He'll be half-dead in April. Not even Lundqvist plays a load like that.

I'd rather have him play the games where Avs have the biggest chance of getting two points and hope Giguere pulls out a game like he did against Pittsburgh and Boston earlier this year in the very toughest starts.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Avs got outshot 37-18 last game in Chicago. Roy was smart throwing Giguere to the wolves and shield Varlamov. Just like when he started Giguere away to Blues. It's Giguere's job.
http://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/en/boxscore?id=2013020572#modalVideoPlayerContainer

I agree to some extent but Varly is the #1 goalie and I think he should play against the best teams. In some cases you have to throw Jiggy to the wolves and that's exactly what they did last game against the Hawks but Varly should start this game.

Varlamov has started 10 of the last 12 games. He's on pace to play 70 games + Olympic starts. He'll be half-dead in April. Not even Lundqvist plays a load like that.

I would expect Roy to slow down that pace as the season goes along. There will be plenty of time for him to rest.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I was also one of the most vocal against Jiggy starting against the Pens and we know how that worked out so what the hell do I know. Roy/Allaire know exactly what they're doing.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
The more games we win now, the easier it will be to rest players like Varlamov in the final couple weeks of the season.

We need to clinch a playoff spot as soon as possible. Thankfully Minnesota is making that easier on us right now.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
The more games we win now, the easier it will be to rest players like Varlamov in the final couple weeks of the season.

We need to clinch a playoff spot as soon as possible. Thankfully Minnesota is making that easier on us right now.

Very much this. Giguere can get starts against eastern conference teams later in the season like the Devils and Sabres.

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma
A 16-18-3 record in our last games would give us a 97.3% chance of making the Playoffs.
Need to keep pushing on though. Dallas won't lose forever, Phoenix will certainly improve and Minnesota is playing well again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad