Avengers Endgame spoiler thread - stay out if you haven't seen the movie

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
I've never known Dr Doom beyond his appearances in videogames and maybe the 90's animated Marvel shows if he showed up there, but he has an awesome costume that would probably translate brilliantly to the MCU. Would love to see him be a next Big Bad..
dr. doom is like an evil tony stark imo but they screwed him up in the fan. four movie

Forgotusername

May 17, 2016
All these sorts of answers are simple explanations if you are not interested in movies, story development and character development. Authors usually don't provide detail answers for the same reason people don't explain jokes.

So if you really want to understand what actually happened then you need to analyze the Cap's story:
1) What was the character motivation in the beginning?
2) How the character and his motivation changed since the start of his story?
3) When did this change happen?
4) What were the reasons of the change?
When you answer these questions you would know the detailed answer to the Mjolnir question as well.

The thing is is either your worthy or your not. If your not worthy you can't even budge it. The hammer moves in AOU meaning he is worthy. There is no half way with Mjolnir. Your wrong. its been stated by everyone who is a major player in the creative process that he has always been worthy.

Hint1k

Oct 27, 2017
1) The thing is is either your worthy or your not. If your not worthy you can't even budge it. The hammer moves in AOU meaning he is worthy. There is no half way with Mjolnir. 2) its been stated by everyone who is a major player in the creative process that he has always been worthy. 3) Your wrong.

1) Or it shows that someone who is close enough can budge it, but still can't lift it.

2) If their simple answer suits you, then this is the right answer for you.

An example.
Question: What caused the fall of Roman Empire?
The simple answer can be - barbarian invasion.
The detailed answer would take a hundred pages of text. A most possible conclusion could be that barbarian invasion is not really the reason of that.
Both answers are still correct. The difference is that if you are really interested in the question then you are not satisfied with the simple answer and want the detailed one.

3) To prove it you need to make your own analysis of the Cap's story.

Last edited:

Forgotusername

May 17, 2016
1) Or it shows that someone who is close enough can budge it, but still can't lift it.
2) If their simple answer suits you, then this is the right answer for you.
3) To prove it you need to make your own analysis of the Cap's story.

No, Mjolnir doesn't work that way, you are either worthy or you are not. It also explains how he knows he can summon it in endgame. He knows he can wield it, that is why he knows he can summon it during the fight.

Reactions: Voight

Hint1k

Oct 27, 2017
No, Mjolnir doesn't work that way, you are either worthy or you are not. It also explains how he knows he can summon it in endgame. He knows he can wield it, that is why he knows he can summon it during the fight.

That's a guess. That's not a story analysis. W/o it you can only make guesses. You need to analyze the story to get the answer.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
It was alright. A fitting conclusion for their decade long series. The beginning was the best part, middle kind of dragged, ending was satisfying but in and of itself unmemorable beyond the 'cool' factor of all the Avengers assembling (though I missed when Gwyneth Paltrow got her own super suit).

The final scene with nonagenarian cap was touching, but he shouldn't have just appeared, he should have been sitting there the entire time. /timetravelnitpick

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Regardless of whether is is on The Avengers team, he is clearly being built as a cornerstone of the MCU going forward.

Peter Parker is literally the whole reason for Tony's arc in End Game. He is already a massive piece of the MCU.

This & with Hollands young age, lack of roles outside the MCU and fan love he's a solid choice to build around.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I would say the same if I were him. But it's a simplified explanation. It is not a detailed one. A detailed one would be something like this: The story of Captain America is a classic coming of age story of a person who tried to prove himself worthy (in general, not to the Mjolnir). Which is why he became a soldier and refused to live a peaceful life (The First Avenger movie). But he made the self-sacrifice. Which is one of the three Mjolnir's feats to complete. In the Age of Ultron he is still trying to prove it. Since he is still trying, he is not there yet. Which is why he could not lift the hammer. In the Endgame:
2) he stopped trying to prove it:
a) "Hail hydra" = "I don't wanna fight and prove it"
b) "I am not Loki" = "I don't wanna fight and prove it"
c) "Yeah I know" = "What an idiot I was, now I finally grew up and I don't wanna fight and prove it"
(Classic 3 times^)
and
3) accepted the family life with Peggy instead of a life of the soldier.
Then he became worthy of the power of Thor.

Why is that? Well, this is the plot of the Thor-1 movie:
1) to make a self-sacrifice
2) to make a choice of a peaceful life over war
3) to become adult = you don't need to prove yourself anymore

But yeah, you can put it simply "he refused to lift it", if you don't wanna go that much into details.
You can even copy-paste this and ask him if this is what the writers meant. Cause this is what they wrote or very very close to it.

I wouldn't go that far, he was worthy of the hammer not to be the God of Thunder. Tho it was awesome to see that Thor always knew he'd be the only mortal worthy enough, he just needed a time and place.

You don't do it right away. If anything you take the same path you did in the lead up to Thanos. Have your solo movies already planned (Black Panther, Captain Marvel, Doctor Strange 2, etc), introduce the correct parts needed for said galactic threat (so probably a couple actually good fantastic four movies, maybe throw in the x-men to pad it out), avengers 5 with maybe Doctor Doom, and then lead up to galactus.

Possibly Adam Warlock? IIRC he's the villain in GOTG 3 and who knows if they'll kill him off then,

Oh god no. Kraven is such a crappy villain by himself

If we're going with Spiderman as a centerpiece going forward (duh) i want them to go full old school and revive the sinister six with Kingpin at its head like in the old cartoon. You already have 4 of the sinister six in some form pop up in the universe (Vulture, Socker, Mac Gargan, who eventually becomes scorpion, and Chameleon, since Far From Home apparently has a minor character named "Dimitri")

Kingpin is such a ****ing boss, he needs to be in that universe.

When did they pop up?

The biggest unanswered question of endgame.
Did the avengers try the stew thanos was making in the beginning?

Ladies get you a man who can both cook and exterminate half the universe. :laugh:

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Shocker is the black dude with the gauntlets and Gargan shows up as one of the goons who try to take over that Ferry in homecoming.

If memory serves, Gargan also vows to find "new friends" to help him kill/deal with Spiderman. Pretty big hint as to what group of friends that might be in plain sight.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
Possibly Adam Warlock? IIRC he's the villain in GOTG 3 and who knows if they'll kill him off then.

I doubt they kill him off, but I doubt he’ll be the big bad either. That’d be a big change from the comics. Maybe his “evil self” Magus, but even then.. I doubt it. I don’t know what exactly they’re going to do with Warlock. I’m guessing either turn him good or maybe an anti-hero kind of thing.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
This & with Hollands young age, lack of roles outside the MCU and fan love he's a solid choice to build around.

Only thing that could prevent this, potentially, is Sony’s deal with Marvel. Like, if Sony wants to branch off on their own more with Spider-Man, there could be some difficulties.

They may have this ironed out already, but Sony’s deal with Marvel is coming to an end. And Fiege likes to plan way ahead, so I’m not sure he’d make Spidey a central player if there were some uncertainties there.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Only thing that could prevent this, potentially, is Sony’s deal with Marvel. Like, if Sony wants to branch off on their own more with Spider-Man, there could be some difficulties.

They may have this ironed out already, but Sony’s deal with Marvel is coming to an end. And Fiege likes to plan way ahead, so I’m not sure he’d make Spidey a central player if there were some uncertainties there.

I have a feeling they did. Sony doesn't always do the smart thing and are a total wildcard but this has been great for them. People are dialed in to the MCU and they reap all the rewards, plus I think keeping Spiderman relevant easily helped out their other properties, like Venom and Spiderverse. Tom Holland as one of the main guys in the MCU is great for them going forward IMO.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
I have a feeling they did. Sony doesn't always do the smart thing and are a total wildcard but this has been great for them. People are dialed in to the MCU and they reap all the rewards, plus I think keeping Spiderman relevant easily helped out their other properties, like Venom and Spiderverse. Tom Holland as one of the main guys in the MCU is great for them going forward IMO.

Can’t disagree with that at all. I’m just saying I’m not totally sold yet, because I could see Fiege not doing that due to an uncertainty. Hope I’m wrong, though. I freakin love Holland.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Is the idea that Cap was always worthy to lift the hammer and he just pretended he couldn’t in AoU?

That has to be it right? Cap suddenly becoming worthy after not being worthy would be super silly.

Last edited:

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I have to say I enjoyed the big 3 vs Thanos way may more then I enjoyed the giant army battle. The big girls moment felt totally unearned to me.

Going to miss Thanos. He solved the MCU villain problem, and I don’t know how they replace that. Big shoes to fill.

Tony’s death felt hollow to me. I guess he has had death flags for so long it wasn’t surprising. I thought Cap’s ending was a lot more emotional resonant.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
The Half in the Bag review pretty much sums up my feelings. I liked it, it was fun, but it had some annoying issues and wasn’t as good a movie as Infinity War, which I liked way more.

I really liked the early chunks where we spent more time with the characters, the time hiest was cool, but I wish we spent more time seeing the plan like a proper hiest movie. The climax was big dumb fun, but found it better when it was a more localized fight. Once it became a big CGI battle I checked out.

Tony’s death didn’t hit me as hard as I thought it would, but I absolutely loved Cap’s ending. Was the most interested I have been in Captain America in any of these movies.

Also props for making me like Ant-Man when I couldn’t care less about him in his two stand alone movies (Infinity War did the same with Strange)

Captain Marvel had zero business being in this movie.

Reactions: irunthepeg

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I'm pretty sure there was like 3 minutes of those three fighting Thanos.

It's an odd criticism because it actually happened.

But it wasn’t the same Thanos. He is absolutely right that you lose some of the emotional weight because they are essentially fighting the Thanos from GotG, not the one from IW.

Hell they made sure you knew this by having Thanos keep his armor on, where as IW Thanos took it off really early on.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
But it wasn’t the same Thanos. He is absolutely right that you lose some of the emotional weight because they are essentially fighting the Thanos from GotG, not the one from IW.

Hell they made sure you knew this by having Thanos keep his armor on, where as IW Thanos took it off really early on.

Yes, but that was because he had the Infinity stones in IW.

Reactions: Jussi

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad