Avengers Endgame spoiler thread - stay out if you haven't seen the movie

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
I've never known Dr Doom beyond his appearances in videogames and maybe the 90's animated Marvel shows if he showed up there, but he has an awesome costume that would probably translate brilliantly to the MCU. Would love to see him be a next Big Bad..

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Doom wouldn't be bad either tbqh, but i feel like he'd end up as like an Ultron or something. A stepping stone to the next big bad.

And iirc (my comic knowledge is a bit spotty) but doesn't Doom eventually fight on the side of the good guys when Galactus comes around?

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Part of the reason they can't have a galaxy-threatening villain right away is that it cheapens the IW-EG achievement.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Part of the reason they can't have a galaxy-threatening villain right away is that it cheapens the IW-EG achievement.

You don't do it right away. If anything you take the same path you did in the lead up to Thanos. Have your solo movies already planned (Black Panther, Captain Marvel, Doctor Strange 2, etc), introduce the correct parts needed for said galactic threat (so probably a couple actually good fantastic four movies, maybe throw in the x-men to pad it out), avengers 5 with maybe Doctor Doom, and then lead up to galactus.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
Doom wouldn't be bad either tbqh, but i feel like he'd end up as like an Ultron or something. A stepping stone to the next big bad.

And iirc (my comic knowledge is a bit spotty) but doesn't Doom eventually fight on the side of the good guys when Galactus comes around?

They better not do Doom like that. He deserves more than one movie. That'd be quite a waste, and he's the type of villain that people would really enjoy in the way they enjoyed the Infinity War Thanos.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
The one story idea I heard thrown around that I really want to see is some kind of cross over involving Spider-Man, Black Panther, and Kraven the Hunter. Thats a movie I want to see. Would be a great set up for BP2. Panther vs. Kraven with a little bit of Spidey thrown in.

Last edited:

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
Yes I know all this: I'm arguing that they didn't use Thanos' character or the emotional baggage IW built-up properly in this movie.

I think they did though. I loved how they killed him off so early because it was so in character of the Thanos we saw in IW. He achieved his mission at all costs...even his own strength/life. That Thanos won...there was no rematch to be had.

The avengers main goal in EG was to undue what he did....not to have a rematch battle. When they succeeded...knowing what they lost it allowed them to all unite against a much more unhinged version of Thanos and ultimately win.

A lot of people tried to take away from IW last year because they claimed it didnt matter bc theyd just bring everyone back. The genius of these movies is they were able to have it both ways. The heros get their satisfying win but it doesnt undo infinity war because for 5 years half the planet was gone. Thats an unthinkable reality for the world to live with now with everyone coming back.

So yeah...having the two versions of thanos worked for me. It kept original thanos victorious but we still got to see the heros beat thanos.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Oh god no. Kraven is such a crappy villain by himself

If we're going with Spiderman as a centerpiece going forward (duh) i want them to go full old school and revive the sinister six with Kingpin at its head like in the old cartoon. You already have 4 of the sinister six in some form pop up in the universe (Vulture, Socker, Mac Gargan, who eventually becomes scorpion, and Chameleon, since Far From Home apparently has a minor character named "Dimitri")

Kingpin is such a ****ing boss, he needs to be in that universe.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Oh god no. Kraven is such a crappy villain by himself

If we're going with Spiderman as a centerpiece going forward (duh) i want them to go full old school and revive the sinister six with Kingpin at its head like in the old cartoon. You already have 4 of the sinister six in some form pop up in the universe (Vulture, Socker, Mac Gargan, who eventually becomes scorpion, and Chameleon, since Far From Home apparently has a minor character named "Dimitri")

Kingpin is such a ****ing boss, he needs to be in that universe.

I just like Kraven because of the 90's cartoon show. He was featured pretty prominently in that, so I have a soft spot for him.

But yeah, Kingpin is who we really need in the MCU. Donofrio's Kingpin to be precise.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I just like Kraven because of the 90's cartoon show. He was featured pretty prominently in that, so I have a soft spot for him.

But yeah, Kingpin is who we really need in the MCU. Donofrio's Kingpin to be precise.
Never know about how the Sony and Marvel negotiations go after Holland completes his final solo movie. It’s been a mad rush for Holland these past 4 years doing 2 solo movies, 2 avengers and civil war.

I’m sure Marvel has it planned out for phase 4. The only concern I have is whether they can come to terms with Sony I’m using Spidey for their avengers films down the line.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
They seem to be making it pretty clear that Spidey is a big part of The Avengers moving forward so I assume they have their shit worked out.

This shared custody agreement seems to be working pretty great for both sides so far. Sony gets plenty of shine on their Spider-Man property from the MCU while also making hugely successful Spider-Man/Verse movies all on their own with the likes of Venom and Into the SpiderVerse.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
They seem to be making it pretty clear that Spidey is a big part of The Avengers moving forward so I assume they have their **** worked out.

This shared custody agreement seems to be working pretty great for both sides so far. Sony gets plenty of shine on their Spider-Man property from the MCU while also making hugely successful Spider-Man/Verse movies all on their own with the likes of Venom and Into the SpiderVerse.

Well, they could also be setting up a story where Spider-Man actually doesn't take a huge part in the Avengers stuff.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
They better not do Doom like that. He deserves more than one movie. That'd be quite a waste, and he's the type of villain that people would really enjoy in the way they enjoyed the Infinity War Thanos.
Doom cant be a big bad without it being a Secret Wars story. Hes awesome, but just not strong enough.

Galactus could be interesting. I dont think he needs FF to work. I initially thought Skrull invasion, but Captain Marvel seems to make them sympathetic. But there are plenty of cosmic level threats that work if written well. Frankly Thanos kind of sucks in 75% of his stories.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
Doom cant be a big bad without it being a Secret Wars story. Hes awesome, but just not strong enough.

Galactus could be interesting. I dont think he needs FF to work. I initially thought Skrull invasion, but Captain Marvel seems to make them sympathetic. But there are plenty of cosmic level threats that work if written well. Frankly Thanos kind of sucks in 75% of his stories.

They could probably make Doom strong enough if they wanted to. Between the level of technology and sorcery, they could probably develop ways to make him very strong. He’s basically a mashup of Iron Man / Dr. Strange, which I feel could be used to be a Thanos level threat.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Well, they could also be setting up a story where Spider-Man actually doesn't take a huge part in the Avengers stuff.

Regardless of whether is is on The Avengers team, he is clearly being built as a cornerstone of the MCU going forward.

Peter Parker is literally the whole reason for Tony's arc in End Game. He is already a massive piece of the MCU.

Reactions: Voight

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
The feminist backlash this film is getting is becoming unbearable.

Theyve created a universe where arguably the two strongest characters (Marvel and Wanda), the smartest (Shurri), the most successful (Pepper), and the new leader of Asgard (Valkarie) are all female...yet some how its not good enough.

Forgotusername

May 17, 2016
I would say the same if I were him. But it's a simplified explanation. It is not a detailed one. A detailed one would be something like this: The story of Captain America is a classic coming of age story of a person who tried to prove himself worthy (in general, not to the Mjolnir). Which is why he became a soldier and refused to live a peaceful life (The First Avenger movie). But he made the self-sacrifice. Which is one of the three Mjolnir's feats to complete. In the Age of Ultron he is still trying to prove it. Since he is still trying, he is not there yet. Which is why he could not lift the hammer. In the Endgame:
2) he stopped trying to prove it:
a) "Hail hydra" = "I don't wanna fight and prove it"
b) "I am not Loki" = "I don't wanna fight and prove it"
c) "Yeah I know" = "What an idiot I was, now I finally grew up and I don't wanna fight and prove it"
(Classic 3 times^)
and
3) accepted the family life with Peggy instead of a life of the soldier.
Then he became worthy of the power of Thor.

Why is that? Well, this is the plot of the Thor-1 movie:
1) to make a self-sacrifice
2) to make a choice of a peaceful life over war
3) to become adult = you don't need to prove yourself anymore

But yeah, you can put it simply "he refused to lift it", if you don't wanna go that much into details.
You can even copy-paste this and ask him if this is what the writers meant. Cause this is what they wrote or very very close to it.

Joss Whedon already said that Cap could lift Mjolnir in AOU. They Russo's have agreed with that as well. He's always been worthy.

Reactions: Voight

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA

Theyve created a universe where arguably the two strongest characters (Marvel and Wanda), the smartest (Shurri), the most successful (Pepper), and the new leader of Asgard (Valkarie) are all female...yet some how its not good enough.

Has it become unbearable? I wasn’t really aware of any.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Man I was hitting out for vacation just as it was coming out, and finally got to see it. The one thing I was most curious about going I couldn't see how Dr. Strange's '1 chance' from IW was going to work out, so I was quite happy with that in the end. Overall I have zero complaints, felt like a perfect finish to the Cap/Iron Man MCU.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

i usually just ignore that nonsense.

Hint1k

Oct 27, 2017
Joss Whedon already said that Cap could lift Mjolnir in AOU. They Russo's have agreed with that as well. He's always been worthy.

All these sorts of answers are simple explanations if you are not interested in movies, story development and character development. Authors usually don't provide detail answers for the same reason people don't explain jokes.

So if you really want to understand what actually happened then you need to analyze the Cap's story:
1) What was the character motivation in the beginning?
2) How the character and his motivation changed since the start of his story?
3) When did this change happen?
4) What were the reasons of the change?
When you answer these questions you would know the detailed answer to the Mjolnir question as well.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad