Avengers Endgame spoiler thread - stay out if you haven't seen the movie

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Its personal opinion.......so ya I am serious. I'm not saying that Endgame's battle was terrible or anything. It was great and highly entertaining, I just found IW better after watching it again last night.

To me, the final battle in EG was predictable and cliche, even by comic book standards.

I think to help with the pace of the movie, that battle should have taken place an hour earlier, with the Avengers losing. Then, the final battle coming down to the scene we see of Thanos vs Cap, Iron Man, and Thor so the feel of the end of this story arc is more intimate and personal.

Reactions: Tripod

JJ68

Oct 5, 2017
Marvel doesn’t do well with emotions, as most superhero movies don’t, unless in special circumstances (like Logan).

That said, if you don’t think that Iron Man moment was emotional... well I don’t know what to tell you. I was actually sad at home. Now that’s partially because I am such a huge fan, and I know that moment may not be as impactful to others. But man oh man, that sequence is done so well.

I’m not sure I understand what you mean that Thanos looks cartoonish. I mean, yeah, he’s a CGI character.. so I guess you’re right?

what I mean is that I felt he wasn't there..you know? Like say Gollum who was Mo-capped. I felt like they were physically interacting with him, but not with Thanos.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
To me, the final battle in EG was predictable and cliche, even by comic book standards.

I think to help with the pace of the movie, that battle should have taken place an hour earlier, with the Avengers losing. Then, the final battle coming down to the scene we see of Thanos vs Cap, Iron Man, and Thor so the feel of the end of this story arc is more intimate and personal.

So in your scenario, what happens when Thanos wins the first time? Does he get the gauntlet? If not, what happens to it? If he does, what does he do with it?

Doesn’t really make sense to have the avengers losing... I mean that’s just Infinity War was. There’s no need for that again.

Elvis P

Revolution was a B side
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
Tony Stark knows less about quantum physics than any of the other famous Marvel scientists including Bruce Banner.

Everything they did with Thor was wrong and made no sense.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
Tony Stark knows less about quantum physics than any of the other famous Marvel scientists including Bruce Banner.

Everything they did with Thor was wrong and made no sense.

While I can understand people disliking what they did with Thor or how they went about it (I wasn’t a huge fan the first time I saw it, but came around to it on the second viewing)... it definitely made sense.

Reactions: Jussi

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
While I can understand people disliking what they did with Thor or how they went about it (I wasn’t a huge fan the first time I saw it, but came around to it on the second viewing)... it definitely made sense.

It made sense to me too.

In a very short while he lost his father, brother, Asgard itself, and he blames himself for Thanos being able to snap and kill half the living creatures on Earth, thus losing a bunch of his friends.

Of course that should weigh on him heavily.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
It made sense to me too.

In a very short while he lost his father, brother, Asgard itself, and he blames himself for Thanos being able to snap and kill half the living creatures on Earth, thus losing a bunch of his friends.

Of course that should weigh on him heavily.[/QUOTE]

Both literally & figuratively :)

Also, if there was a character that makes sense for... it's 100% Thor. It fits his personality.

Again, I understand why some people didn't love it. I can't say I *love* it, but I certainly understand it. And I also give the Russo brothers props for not going away from it. I'm glad he couldn't just make himself skinny.

If that was the last Thor we'd ever see, I would be disappointed. But it seems like we will get more of him moving forward, and now there is a lot to be discovered with him that I'm excited about.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
It made sense to me too.

That was the most entertaining form of thor yet. It really brought him down to a human level

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Thor was one of my fave's so I while I found fat Thor funny at first, I initially thought it was overplayed. But at the end of the day is was important to the overall story, so it makes sense to me.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
It made sense to me too.

Half of his people died too during Ragnarok, and then half of the remaining half died when the snap happened.

Almost all of his people were killed within a matter of months.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
I love that Thor chopping off Thanos' head is presented entirely as a failure. I think it really sets up his emotional downfall.

Reactions: S E P H

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Everyone in our theater loved beer belly Thor. So many chuckles.

He is perfect for that character.

Reactions: TB12

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Is there a particular reason Marvel fans are going to this movie multiple times in hopes to break the record in ticket sales set by Avatar?

Seems like such a pointless and moronic goal.

Because people are, generally speaking, not very bright?

I almost went to see it again at least twice now but the runtime and how slow the first two acts are turned me away both times. I got better things to do than give Disney more money (which they deserved the first time around, don't get me wrong)

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
https://io9.gizmodo.com/avengers-endgame-cut-a-top-secret-character-from-what-1834554171

There was an idea that we had that Tony was going to go into the metaphysical way station that Thanos goes in when he snapped his fingers,” Joe Russo said on the podcast. “And that there was going to be a future version of his daughter in that way station.”
Langford was to play the older version of Morgan, the daughter of Pepper Potts and Tony Stark. However, unlike in Infinity War where Thanos’ vision of a younger Gamora in that “metaphysical way station” has been established, Langford’s older version of Morgan hadn’t been, so the scene didn’t work as intended and confused test audiences.
“What we realized about it was we didn’t feel an emotional association with the adult version of his daughter,” Anthony Russo continued. “So it wasn’t ringing to us and resonating with us on an emotional level.”
“The intention was that his future daughter, because these films are dealing with magic, his future daughter forgave him and sort of gave him peace to go. And the idea felt resonant,” Joe Russo said. “But it was just too many ideas in an overly complicated movie.”

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Tony's daughter is no Cassie Lang.

I thought her acting was very stale. I mean, I don't wanna bag on a kid, I don't know shit about the "art" of what makes good acting, and maybe it was good acting because a 5 year old doesn't have a real good understanding of death, but all that being said, Tony's daughter never seemed very attached to Tony.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
Tony's daughter is no Cassie Lang.

I thought her acting was very stale. I mean, I don't wanna bag on a kid, I don't know **** about the "art" of what makes good acting, and maybe it was good acting because a 5 year old doesn't have a real good understanding of death, but all that being said, Tony's daughter never seemed very attached to Tony.

Really? I thought she killed it.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
I got more weepy at Scott seeing Cassie all grown up than anything with Tony and Morgan. :dunno:

Well, that's kind of natural. That interaction was much more emotional than the Tony / Morgan direct interactions. It also helps that Cassie & Scott have had 2 whole movies together, so there's naturally more connection.

Reactions: beowulf

Vex

Apr 23, 2019
Las Vegas, NV
Thor's arc was also a nice touch following his "what more could I lose" question to Rocket. Turns out it was even more that he could imagine and he just... lost it. He failed when doing what he was supposed to be the best at.

Regarding Thor's arc, I appreciate that he didn't magically become super fit again after he realized he was still worthy or before the final battle. I don't know if that could have actually happened, but I thought it could. That's one thing I really didn't like in Shazam. Not to bring up DC/Marvel shenanigans.

Baby Punisher

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
Watched this tonight, thought it was great. My one comment is that I feel like half the worlds population all of a sudden showing up again 5 years later would probably cause even more chaos than its initial disappearance.
I too have thoughts about that. So the population just shows up to the spot that they became dusted in after the Thanos snap. Some people were on planes when they were dusted. Presumably, the pilots of these planes fell victim to said dusting. the planes crash. Where so the people reappear? In the sky only to fall to their deaths again? What about the people who were on these planes that crashed that weren't victims of the snap. They are still dead. What about the people who moved on with their lives and got remarried, fell in love with another, etc... So many unanswered questions.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad