GDT: Avalanche vs Wild @7:00PM MST 03/08/24 (Emergency Post TDL GDT) New players, new Avs?

What do we call him?

• Total voters

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Here's a crazy thought. Byram AND Walker are both good defensemen ? They are different , but both great ?
Yup both are great.

One thing to note about this game is that this is what the forward group looks like with 3-4 forwards out.

Parise, LOC, Kovalenko all draw into a health roster, as does Landeskog if he can.

That makes the entire 4th line health scratches and even potentially Kovalenko as the 13th
Based on tonights game if everyone is healthy not including Landy you can sit Cogs, Kiviranta and Wood easily. Kiviranta shouldnt be an everyday player. Cogliano has done alot of stupid shit this season and Wood has ants in his pants.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
We can’t judge Walker after one game, in the exact same way we can’t judge Byram after one game.

Just remember that Elias Lindholm had two goals in his Canucks debut, and then 5 points in the next 15 games.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
New players have of course famously slotted right in and immediately started performing in this team/system, none of them have ever mentioned there's an adjustment period. I saw Byram on Buffalo's powerplay, he looked like he was playing a different sport to the rest of them.

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
We really desperately need to get Rantanen away from MacKinnon. It's just getting embarrassing at this point how little effort he puts in. He needs to be forced to be the play driver on his line

Drouin-MacK-Nuke
Lehky-Mitts-Rants
Parise-Colton-Trenin
Wood-Cogs-Duhaime
Kivi

Wood also needs to have his minutes limited, he's been really bad lately. Just let him and Duhaime cause speedy chaos flanking Cogs on the 4th line for a bit. If and when LOC comes back, he can bump Trenin down, who can bump Duhaime to the pressbox

Alienblood

Nov 22, 2021
Byram had to carry a lousy middle six. RyJos most frequent teammate by far.

This new guy got all the advantage of Nuke, mitts, a new bottom six etc. and still played bad. Giveaways and cycle prone. Yikes.
We have to let it go now it’s what Bo would have wanted

TV must have made him look better. Live, he looked completely lost out there. He was slow to the puck and lost his defensive assignment quite often. Got a little better as the game went on but created zero offense and those draw stats seemed incorrect to me, felt like he lost a lot more than he won. At times really reminded me of ok games from Johansen. Nothing that surprising for a new team but it needs to improve fast. Trenin and Duhaime sure looked more ready to contribute.
yeah he looked slow and lost but he did hustle back on 1 play. I don't think he gets a lot of time here once Ritchie is ready. 7 mil per they are saying ugh. Colton might get the 2 C yet.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida

Walker will put up better playoff stats than Bo this year.
Byram won’t see the playoffs for a while. Unfortunately Cozens took a huge step back this season. It’s been a terrible year for the top of the 2019:draft.

Zegras sucks and is injured. Seider sucks and can’t come close to handling top minutes. Seider gets killed on the regular. Kakko confirmed his bust status. Hughes got hurt and will miss the playoffs. Dach is crazy injury prone. Turcotte is busted. Broberg busted. Podkolzin is an AHL player at 23.

Just a terrible year for them all. Even Caufield is under performing.

Tom Harley is actually the best player from this draft.

Also, Gulyayev reallly shined in the KHL. He’s going to be an nhl stud in a few years. He’s a crazy fast LHD.

Byram will end up one of its top 4 or 5 players.but it’s looking no better than the lousy 2018 draft.

NMAvsman

Jan 28, 2007
My hot take....Wild were playing desperate playoff hockey....they have to win at like a .900 clip to get in. Clogging the lanes, blocking shots....annoying hockey. New guys adjusting, and Mitts even mentioned that the pre-game skate was intense for him. Playing AVs style of hockey at altitude requires elite prep. New guys also have had almost no sleep for the past 24-48 hours. Georgie looked playoff ready tonight which was nice to see and stole us a game finally. I was expecting a 3-1 loss with how we were playing midway through the third. It was cool to see Val get a goal immediately to lock in his head that he is still himself on the ice. Mitts getting back to disrupt a goal was beautiful to behold, and I saw some creative passes that did not quite connect but they will eventually.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Mike Gulyayev just advanced to the 2nd round of the KHL playoffs. Kid is playing over 17 minutes a night in the playoffs for his squad. He is stapled to their 2nd pair. Excellent development opportunity for the 18 year old.

By way of reference. The 6th overall pick in the 2023 draft plays about 10 minutes a game for his playoff team. The 12th pick plays about 4 minutes. Both are bottom line or pair bottom of roster guys.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
My hot take....Wild were playing desperate playoff hockey....they have to win at like a .900 clip to get in. Clogging the lanes, blocking shots....annoying hockey. New guys adjusting, and Mitts even mentioned that the pre-game skate was intense for him. Playing AVs style of hockey at altitude requires elite prep. New guys also have had almost no sleep for the past 24-48 hours. Georgie looked playoff ready tonight which was nice to see and stole us a game finally. I was expecting a 3-1 loss with how we were playing midway through the third. It was cool to see Val get a goal immediately to lock in his head that he is still himself on the ice. Mitts getting back to disrupt a goal was beautiful to behold, and I saw some creative passes that did not quite connect but they will eventually.
A good, realistic review of last night's game and Av's performance. Very refreshing. And accurate. Thanks.

nightonthesun

Sep 8, 2013
New Jersey
I wouldn’t even call some of this board’s posters a case of “overly high expectations” … it’s something else. Something sinister. They might be internet trolls. Or just dumb

• Haha
Reactions: niwotsblessing

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
TV must have made him look better. Live, he looked completely lost out there. He was slow to the puck and lost his defensive assignment quite often. Got a little better as the game went on but created zero offense and those draw stats seemed incorrect to me, felt like he lost a lot more than he won. At times really reminded me of ok games from Johansen. Nothing that surprising for a new team but it needs to improve fast. Trenin and Duhaime sure looked more ready to contribute.
Too many beers? He was not great on faceoffs and had some obvious BBH (bad buffalo habits) but setup a couple of guys that could have been goals with nifty passes - one specifically to Trenin that became a sort of north-south one-timer setup) and had 2 really good scoring chances himself. Did you miss those?

I loved his back check on the 2-on-1 - that was impressive.

All in all, for his first game I thought he stood out in a good way especially considering the 2 glorious scoring chances he had and the other few he setup. Anyone expecting him to start dominating games like Mack is certainly going to be disappointed... That's not his game.

Being able to roll out a real 2nd line and give them good minutes is going to be awesome.

Don't be immature guys, just call him by his nickname Fatty Boombalatty.
I'd rather just call him Boomba for short.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00
    Event closes