GDT: Avalanche vs Flyers | New Year's Eve | 7PM MT | Heroes & Antiheroes

Status
Not open for further replies.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
The corsi leaders on our team tonight was Talbot, McLeod, Cliche, Holden, Guenin and Stuart. Our core. As expected.

(raw corsi at even strength)

Edit: McLeod didnt have a single face off in his own zone though, I like the way we shelter our best players.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Rendulic was quite easily the best Avs IMO. Was hitting everything in sight, read the play well, got a goal, etc. Just needs to work on his puck skills around the net, but if he continues to play like that, we got a keeper.

This Flyers team though...I haven't watched them play in a couple months, but man, they looked very passive tonight.

I also found the best song fitting Duchene the last couple of weeks...

The-Six-Million-Dollar-Man.jpg
logo.gif

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
what I hope the lines will be:

o'reilly-duchene-iginla
landeskog-mackinnon-rendulic
tanguay-mitchell-briere
McLeod-cliché-Talbot

roys lines
Duchene-cliché-Talbot
landeskog-mitchell-iginla
tanguay-mackinnon-briere
McLeod-o'reilly-rendulic

jvcjdudu jcycyxjene

Nov 11, 2014
Denver
You mean the half season 12/13? Or 13/14?

Mind sharing what side the ROR issues were coming from?
The 48 game post-lockout season. It started with the initial offer made by the Avs management (Somewhere around 3.5-5 million), but ROR felt completely insulted because he felt he was a core piece that deserved to be payed as such, and he was pissed off that Duchene took a lowball bridge contract because he felt it lowered his power in negotiations. Peter told me that he feels that teams need O'Reilly type players, he thinks that he is far from a top core player and he said that if O'Reilly is your best player, then "you're in deep trouble." He said that the skill gap between a guy like Duchene/Mack (we had just drafted Mack) compared to O'Reilly is tremendous, and that O'Reilly fares to be a poor man's Bergeron who is in the market for 4.5 million, maybe 5 million, but not the 6.0 million + that he was demanding.

Last edited:

jvcjdudu jcycyxjene

Nov 11, 2014
Denver
pls spill all the beans
As we all probably expected, the negotiations between Newport and Avs management actually got personal, and there were insults exchanged verbally between the two parties during negotiations. Things got incredibly unprofessional, and there was tension even subsequent to the offersheet. The tension between Duchene and O'Reilly, which seemed to be fabricated by Dater, was actually very real. Obviously they reconciled their differences over time once he was a part of the team again.

I'm 99% sure that we trade ROR, and hopefully it's while we can still get a piece or two that has decent value in return. I'm certain he won't resign with the club even with the new management. His agency is stubborn as hell, and the Avs management don't like that ROR is trying to artificially inflate his dollar value when the results on the ice have been far less than spectacular (two good 50+ point seasons in 6 years.) If he wants a big 7 year contract worth 49 million, he'll have to test the market once he hits UFA in a year and a half.

Last edited:

avspatti

Dec 1, 2003
Colorado
Visit site
That's cute, you think McNab isn't optimistic because he's paid to be.

Mic's off:This team is such trash, wish I could go get plastered..
Mic's on:Annnnd we're back, as the Avs try to come back from 3 down in the third, outshot 39-6, they just haven't been getting the bounces so far but the playoffs are on their horizon!
I know who pays him, but that doesn't change the fact that he is a basically optimistic person. Nobody could keep that optimism up for all these games unless it came naturally in some way.

Well, after reading RareDangles' posts above, I must be wrong. That said, Peter does a good job of 'spinning'.
I still like him, though.

Last edited:

TheStranger

Jan 21, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
I know who pays him, but that doesn't change the fact that he is a basically optimistic person. Nobody could keep that optimism up for all these games unless it came naturally in some way.

Well, I doubt he's legitimately a fan of the team, at least it's not his #1 team in the world I would guess. You don't just have a team become your #1 at 50 years old or however old he was when he started covering the Avalanche. So if you have no major emotional ties to a team but are covering them, it's probably easy to do as you're told/paid to do. If a true fan was covering their team and the team was trash, it would be much harder to cover your emotions.

Wintersun

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal
what I hope the lines will be:

o'reilly-duchene-iginla
landeskog-mackinnon-rendulic
tanguay-mitchell-briere
McLeod-cliché-Talbot

roys lines
Duchene-cliché-Talbot
landeskog-mitchell-iginla
tanguay-mackinnon-briere
McLeod-o'reilly-rendulic

Let's reward our best forward Tanguay by putting him on a line with Mitchell and Brière.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I don't understand how anyone can cover a team that long but not have any attachment to it. Even Dater who would try to uphold his "not a fan" mantra he would still admit he roots for individual people to have success. Dude, that's attachment. Even if it's not the Avs entity it's still human emotion.

Rycroft can be less sunny than McNab. I think it's just McNab's style or persona, at this point it has nothing to do with the Avs. He sounds like that on national tv.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
As we all probably expected, the negotiations between Newport and Avs management actually got personal, and there were insults exchanged verbally between the two parties during negotiations. Things got incredibly unprofessional, and there was tension even subsequent to the offersheet. The tension between Duchene and O'Reilly, which seemed to be fabricated by Dater, was actually very real. Obviously they reconciled their differences over time once he was a part of the team again.

I'm 99% sure that we trade ROR, and hopefully it's while we can still get a piece or two that has decent value in return. I'm certain he won't resign with the club even with the new management. His agency is stubborn as hell, and the Avs management don't like that ROR is trying to artificially inflate his dollar value when the results on the ice have been far less than spectacular (two good 50+ point seasons in 6 years.) If he wants a big 7 year contract worth 49 million, he'll have to test the market once he hits UFA in a year and a half.

Ror and dutchy no likey each other eh

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Rendulic was quite easily the best Avs IMO. Was hitting everything in sight, read the play well, got a goal, etc. Just needs to work on his puck skills around the net, but if he continues to play like that, we got a keeper.
I'm not sure about the best player, but Rendulic was impressive for sure. I'm glad Roy gave him a chance and stuck with it even after Rendulic took that offensive zone penalty. He got a nice ovation from the crowd during a break in the action. I hope he shoots more.

Duchene and MacKinnon are just terrible right now. They simply don't work together and I'm not sure why Roy is trying to force it.

I look forward to Briere getting dealt and Everberg replacing him. Get some more size on the wings. Briere has been a non factor for a while now after looking rejuvenated from his healthy scratches.

When ROR plays like he did tonight, it's hard to want him dealt. But then I remember he'll almost certainly walk for nothing in a year and a half and I know it needs to be done.

Skip2myBordyloo

Stay the course
Apr 7, 2010

You should watch an Oilers broadcast.

They almost trick you into believing that with all the young top talent they may just still break out into a powerhouse sooner or later.

It's been like 8 years of junk yet you'd think they have the next great offensive scoring team.

All color guys butter up team's deficiencies they mostly focus on the positive, no fans want to hear just how bad the team actually is.

Down the stretch it's all about getting that nice draft pick.

niwotsblessing

May 1, 2010
City of Holy Faith

If O'Character was pissed at Duchene for being reasonable in his contract negotiations then R$R needs to be traded far away from this team. The kid is in it more for the money than his love of the game and loyalty to his team. That is poison in the locker room and will not translate into success on the ice.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Before the OT goal I thought ROR was easily our best player last night. The goal was just gravy.
He looked really good, and surprisingly fast.

The Shermanator

HFBoards Legend
Jul 2, 2011
Ontario
Just saw the highlights. Is that the first time ROR has ever actually celebrated a goal?

LOVED to see that.

EDIT: Wow Iggy just dropping nicknames left and right in his interview.

Last edited:

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Time to stop treating Duchene's line as a box for misfit toys. Duchene-MacKinnon-Briere? C'mon. It's frustrating watching #9 and #29 but this team isn't going anywhere without them going. Short term it doesn't matter but long term it does.

Time to stop with the rotating three crap lines instead of two crappy units on the PP. Stuart and Talbot should never be on a power play. The problem is with the players but also with the way the team plays on the PP, ie coaching. Zone entries are predictable. There aren't any shooting threats from anywhere beside the top of the umbrella (as if MacKinnon and Iginla couldn't be effective shooting at the top of the circle).

umdieecke*

So, when Roy said he fixed the offense, I didn't realize that meant Guenin and Rendulic scoring their first goals while MacKinnon and Duchene have zero points. That's some great coaching. Relying on off one events for half of your scoring is very sustainable. If not, he can start pulling the goalie with 20 minutes left in the first.

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV

If McNabb is really as you say... I'd be curious to hear his honest thoughts on some of the Avs d-men.

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
Mt Holly, NC
I thought McNab did a great job paired with whoever that other guy was when they were on NBCSN. So I don't really think the problem is him.

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
So, when Roy said he fixed the offense, I didn't realize that meant Guenin and Rendulic scoring their first goals while MacKinnon and Duchene have zero points. That's some great coaching. Relying on off one events for half of your scoring is very sustainable. If not, he can start pulling the goalie with 20 minutes left in the first.

Bro, do you even hockey?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad