GDT: Avalanche-Penguins 7:30PM MDT: Changing of the Guard?

Over or under: Top line 1.5 goals

• Total voters

Soedy

All Hail Cale
Nov 27, 2012
Hamburg, Germany
If anybody wants a good bedtime story, go read the Penguins GDT/Post-game threads. There is one Pens fan who said that "they should've won and that the refs missed five calls on us". I guess he missed the forty minutes of domination we put on them in the 1st and 2nd.

I mean the refs missed like 5 calls on MacKinnon right before the 3-1 goal. And this is just over a span of 15 seconds.

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
Grubs should have had 2 of the 3 Criesby goals. Not giving up a 3-goal lead to weak goals is the type of thing #1 goalies do. I don't think he's capable of assuming the #1 role just yet. We might need to bring Varls Barkley back for another year or two.

As much flak as Nieto and Calvert get, they are top-end 4th liners and good PKers when used like that. Bednar's issue is that he plays them with our 4th best forward and it forces them to play too many minutes.

Is it too much to ask to have Soda between JTC and Jost? They can still take on a shutdown role, except actually be able to put pucks in.
Then have Kam between Nieto and Calvert as a classic 4th line energy line, keeping the two of the top PKers fresh.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Grubs should have had 2 of the 3 Criesby goals. Not giving up a 3-goal lead to weak goals is the type of thing #1 goalies do. I don't think he's capable of assuming the #1 role just yet. We might need to bring Varls Barkley back for another year or two.

As much flak as Nieto and Calvert get, they are top-end 4th liners and good PKers when used like that. Bednar's issue is that he plays them with our 4th best forward and it forces them to play too many minutes.

Is it too much to ask to have Soda between JTC and Jost? They can still take on a shutdown role, except actually be able to put pucks in.
Then have Kam between Nieto and Calvert as a classic 4th line energy line, keeping the two of the top PKers fresh.
Kerfoot has been good as 2c. Jost / Kerfoot / JTC are all centers anyways. Take turns lol

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
Just shrink it down to avatar size, and the avatars are ready.
c5cd32fb9385ebd7204ae63b533edd89.png

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
I mean the refs missed like 5 calls on MacKinnon right before the 3-1 goal. And this is just over a span of 15 seconds.
I dont even think they missed them. Just outright ignored them. Pittsburgh was down. I always feel like refs give the team down alot of breaks.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

He also stepped up in the third to make some big saves that secured the win, after having let the pens back into it. That’s the sort of thing starters also do...especially when they’ve let in a softie previously.

ArWKo

Jul 2, 2009
CO
I'm willing to cut Grubi some slack, sometimes one of the best players in the history of the game is going to do stuff showing why he's one the best ever. He made some important saves after that bad 6 minutes to keep the Avs in it.

Reactions: S E P H

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
I'm willing to cut Grubi some slack, sometimes one of the best players in the history of the game is going to do stuff showing why he's one the best ever. He made some important saves after that bad 6 minutes to keep the Avs in it.
Second goal mustn't happen. First one showed weaknesses as well. What has he done to be in the starter discussion anyway?

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Second goal mustn't happen. First one showed weaknesses as well. What has he done to be in the starter discussion anyway?
On the 1st goal he was basically shoved into the net. I have no idea what he could've doen differently there. 2nd goal was bad, but he bounced back and stonewalled the Pens on more than a few occasions afterwards.

Grigowski

Jul 6, 2016
First: A really bad call in the end went our way.... Wow. No Icing, No Tripping. Although to our advantage the league needs to adresse this bad refereeing that gets out of control.

Second: Giving away a 3 goal lead...?:huh:

Third: Grubauer and his 2 softies! This game shouldn´t have been close at all.

Fourth: Crosby is still one of the best in this league.

RockyMtnRedhawk

Feb 25, 2014
Denver
First: A really bad call in the end went our way.... Wow. No Icing, No Tripping. Although to our advantage the league needs to adresse this bad refereeing that gets out of control.

Second: Giving away a 3 goal lead...?:huh:

Third: Grubauer and his 2 softies! This game shouldn´t have been close at all.

Fourth: Crosby is still one of the best in this league.

So you took nothing positive from that game from an Avs perspective?

Raucherhusten

Unselfish Gif Lover
Aug 24, 2017
Over the rainbow
Not feeling comfortable with Grubauer as the backup when I think about the playoffs but all in all it was a good game and another deserved win.
So now Grubi is not even a backup? Let's trade for Price and sign Bob and go with that 1-2 punch into next season. Oh, and resign Varly just to park him in the AHL just in case. Would that make you feel better?

Grubi is fine. He hasn't shown yet that he can be our starter but it's tough to find a better backup in the league.

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
So now Grubi is not even a backup? Let's trade for Price and sign Bob and go with that 1-2 punch into next season. Oh, and resign Varly just to park him in the AHL just in case. Would that make you feel better?

Grubi is fine. He hasn't shown yet that he can be our starter but it's tough to find a better backup in the league.
I would agree but with Varly's injury problems I'd prefer someone who can stay focused during a complete game.

RockyMtnRedhawk

Feb 25, 2014
Denver
I would agree but with Varly's injury problems I'd prefer someone who can stay focused during a complete game.

Varly has allowed many goals in his career just like the second one Grubauer allowed last night. The sample size is still too small to know exactly what we have in Grubauer, but I'm perfectly comfortable with him as a backup at this point.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
I feel like Z could've made a better play on the broken stick. Like kick or use your hands to push it to the boards. Strange he just left the puck right there at the blue line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad