GDT: Avalanche-Penguins 7:30PM MDT: Changing of the Guard?

Over or under: Top line 1.5 goals

• Total voters

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
The most satisfying thing about being at that game was shutting up the Pens fans after the Crosby Hattie, they went nuts and were starting to drown us out for a bit.

Oh my god the lady sitting next to me was horrible. After the 2nd goal she started screaming incredibly obnoxiously and high pitched very clearly on purpose.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
It's a tad ironic to read all the bitching and complaining from Pens fans about the officiating in a game where they were called for just a single infraction in the entire game. ONE. You mean to tell me that only one penalty was committed by a Pens player in the entire 60 minutes of action?

Yet they have the audacity to complain against missed calls on the Avs? If the officiating was actually even that game would have been 7, 8, 9-3 instead of the 6-3 final it actually was.

And, quite ironic to read them complain about a "fluky" goal to win the game for the Avs. Because Sids 2nd goal(And even 1st goal for that matter) was pure skill to put the puck in the net from the side boards with no tips or deflection. All skill.

Talk about a whiny group of people.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
It's a tad ironic to read all the *****ing and complaining from Pens fans about the officiating in a game where they were called for just a single infraction in the entire game. ONE. You mean to tell me that only one penalty was committed by a Pens player in the entire 60 minutes of action?

Yet they have the audacity to complain against missed calls on the Avs? If the officiating was actually even that game would have been 7, 8, 9-3 instead of the 6-3 final it actually was.

And, quite ironic to read them complain about a "fluky" goal to win the game for the Avs. Because Sids 2nd goal(And even 1st goal for that matter) was pure skill to put the puck in the net from the side boards with no tips or deflection. All skill.

Talk about a whiny group of people.

People rag on Leafs fans, but they are a bunch of saints compared to this lot. Bunch of band-wagoner fanboys.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
We are 2-0 without Barrie. Just saying :baghead:
If we're 2-0 with Barrie, then that means we're Stanley Cup contenders with him. I think that is how it works!

That play by Jost on the Wilson goal was great. Outhustled Crosby and made a terrific pass to Nate.
Not only that, but Crosby was wailing around the ice doing his best Erik Johnson impersonation on the Rantanen to Girard goal.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Tyson Jost now has 3 Goals, 8 points in his last 10 games(And 5 in his last 5). He also has 18 of his 27 shots on goal in those last 10 games including 12 in his last 5.

Secondary scoring

Minor adjustments that make huge differences in his game, such as entering the zone with his head up and stick on the ice.

When he was struggling, he wasn't even seeing the game properly. If he entered the zone with the puck, he had his head down and would just grind it into a corner. When he was trailing his puck carrying teammate, he was rarely in a shooting position and just 'watching.'

Now he is entering the zone with the legs moving and the head up, alert to take even lower quality shots and just get something going. Add this developing offensive game to his already very solid defensive game and we have the makings of a very nice two-way player.

Loving Josty right now.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Minor adjustments that make huge differences in his game, such as entering the zone with his head up and stick on the ice.

When he was struggling, he wasn't even seeing the game properly. If he entered the zone with the puck, he had his head down and would just grind it into a corner. When he was trailing his puck carrying teammate, he was rarely in a shooting position and just 'watching.'

Now he is entering the zone with the legs moving and the head up, alert to take even lower quality shots and just get something going. Add this developing offensive game to his already very solid defensive game and we have the makings of a very nice two-way player.

Loving Josty right now.

I’m glad they put him on the wing. His skill set is just perfect for 2 way winger. He looks like a completely different player lately.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis

Loving Josty right now.

Yeah he's doing a much better job at A) Keeping his feet moving in the offensive zone and B) Finding the quiet areas of the ice when he doesn't have the puck.

It's good to see for sure and shouldn't come as a surprise to most to see him doing it from the Wing. He'll be a quality 2nd line winger for us, he just doesn't have the skating with his size to be effective down the middle.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Do you think he's been good so far as an Av?

My take is that I think he's been a decent/good backup and has played well in some games but poorly in others but I don't remember a game where we've won because he was the 1st star. So a fine backup but not a guy I'd want starting 50-60 games next year...not with what he's shown so far.

His best game was against the Canes and I think he stole that one. He has had a couple other good ones and a couple stinkers as well. He hasn't been great and needs to be better but I don't think he has been terrible either.

Reactions: Avs425

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I’m still struggling to fully grasp how good this top line is.

Also I ended up sitting like 3 rows behind the Pens bench last night and holy shit watching Mack from that close was intimidating. He looks 10x faster than he does from my usual seats.

Reactions: Gabe MacAntanen

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
I’m still struggling to fully grasp how good this top line is.

Also I ended up sitting like 3 rows behind the Pens bench last night and holy **** watching Mack from that close was intimidating. He looks 10x faster than he does from my usual seats.

It was good to see MacKinnon take the game by the throat. Crosby tried to wrestle the game away but MacKinnon was always willing to initiate the action and didn't allow himself to be turned into a starstruck spectator when Crosby went off. The team needed this and he stepped up and took back control of the game. It's good to see. It's a reminder to teams that MacKinnon is still there if they think it's time to start giving more attention to Mikko. It's great to see MacKinnon recognize he can let things happen due to progression of Mikko but at the same time recognize when it's time for him to step forward and take over.

Reactions: 5280

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
BEy1hS8.jpg

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
The key to this team being amazing has been Girard, other than 9296. He gets the puck out of the zone with ease. Bad era Avs hockey was being hemmed in too much.
Absolutely. Obviously everyone looks at the top line, but if Girard doesn't make a great play getting the puck up the ice, he doesn't score that goal.

It all starts at the back end, and we have some great puck moving D. Makar will only make us even better.
It's a huge deal

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Absolutely. Obviously everyone looks at the top line, but if Girard doesn't make a great play getting the puck up the ice, he doesn't score that goal.

It all starts at the back end, and we have some great puck moving D. Makar will only make us even better.
It's a huge deal

It really is amazing how adding one young but talented and dynamic skating d-man has changed the team. It's not even like he's a huge point production machine yet, but he still has changed the team just by simply being able to get the puck out of the zone effortlessly. He really is the player I was hoping Cumiskey could become. Having that one extra dynamic skater with a good passing skill just really boosted this team tremendously. I still think the secondary scoring from the forwards need an injection of skill....I feel like we are on a hot streak right now but damn this team is fun to watch.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
It really is amazing how adding one young but talented and dynamic skating d-man has changed the team. It's not even like he's a huge point production machine yet, but he still has changed the team just by simply being able to get the puck out of the zone effortlessly. He really is the player I was hoping Cumiskey could become. Having that one extra dynamic skater with a good passing skill just really boosted this team tremendously. I still think the secondary scoring from the forwards need an injection of skill....I feel like we are on a hot streak right now but damn this team is fun to watch.
It feels like a hot streak, but it's been going on for over a year.

Soon enough we will have Girard / Barrie / Makar. How do you match up against that? Too many good puck moving D lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad