GDT: Avalanche @ Devils, 7 PM, MSG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
It'll really be a damn shame if Santini is out of the lineup when Quincey is ready to go. Maybe they'll keep Quincey out and try to deal him, who knows, but Santini has definitely earned his spot.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
You are aware that teams can win while also having some really bad parts to a game and that there is no issue calling it out right? doesn't make you less of a fan nor does the constant blind optimism fanboy support make you more of a fan than people that have no issue saying Cammalleri sucked, Lovejoy sucked and PA sucked and how the three of them were nearly responsible for blown leads in the 3rd.

This team could be a better team if certain players were gone or getting less ice time. Probably could be a bit better with a better coaching staff as well.

Well aware of all these things, I simply don't harp on it incessantly the way some others do. Different strokes I guess.

I find it funny that the usual cast of characters would choose to find the negatives rather than the positives, that's all. I'm well aware this team isn't perfect, doesn't mean I can't attempt to enjoy a victory. The parts that people are frustrated in are going to be gone sooner than later.

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
Well aware of all these things, I simply don't harp on it incessantly the way some others do. Different strokes I guess.

I find it funny that the usual cast of characters would choose to find the negatives rather than the positives, that's all. I'm well aware this team isn't perfect, doesn't mean I can't attempt to enjoy a victory. The parts that people are frustrated in are going to be gone sooner than later.

I can enjoy that they won and still point out how **** certain players are and how they need to learn how to tighten things up and the coaching staff needs to learn how to drill it into the players heads to stop sitting back with a lead in the third.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
We have like 4-5 wins this year by more than 2 goals, so I'm not sure why people are shocked that we didn't blow out Colorado. Yeah, they're bad, and yeah, it would be nice to have won comfortably. But we're not that good of a team to begin with, which means there's really no such thing as an "easy" win. Just take the points, and move on. I don't see the point in harping over ever little mistake that gets made.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
The hockey show is really getting terrible. I accidentally left the channel on, just never changing it and they're laughing at the mistake that Mike Smith made to give the puck away from a foot away to a Penguin for an easy empty net. And the Reeve guy just said ''That was terrible. That reminded me of Marty Brodeur in the playoffs against the Rangers''. The same series where we beat the Rangers, won that game, Lundqvist allowed 3 goals in the first 10 minutes (roughly) of the game and 40 year old Marty outplayed 30 year old Vezina winning Lundqvist over the series?

I actually didn't think Reeve was that bad before tonight, that Arda guy is the worst. That was an unnecessary comparison. At least use the one in game 5 against the Panthers when he gave it away, for your example. We actually lost that game.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
We have like 4-5 wins this year by more than 2 goals, so I'm not sure why people are shocked that we didn't blow out Colorado. Yeah, they're bad, and yeah, it would be nice to have won comfortably. But we're not that good of a team to begin with, which means there's really no such thing as an "easy" win. Just take the points, and move on. I don't see the point in harping over ever little mistake that gets made.

Thank you.

Somehow we can suck and be capable of blowing out teams at the same time. Quite the paradox. :laugh:

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
How does trading PAP free up that spot next to Hall though? He, Palms and Trav have been good together.

Would allow Palmieri to slide down I suppose. Maybe

Hall-Zajac-Bennett
Cammalleri-Henrique-Palmieri

I just really want to see Bennett with Hall, I think it would work well. Guess PA doesn't really have to be moved for that to work though.

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
The hockey show is really getting terrible. I accidentally left the channel on, just never changing it and they're laughing at the mistake that Mike Smith made to give the puck away from a foot away to a Penguin for an easy empty net. And the Reeve guy just said ''That was terrible. That reminded me of Marty Brodeur in the playoffs against the Rangers''. The same series where we beat the Rangers, won that game, Lundqvist allowed 3 goals in the first 10 minutes (roughly) of the game and 40 year old Marty outplayed 30 year old Vezina winning Lundqvist over the series?

I actually didn't think Reeve was that bad before tonight, that Arda guy is the worst. That was an unnecessary comparison. At least use the one in game 5 against the Panthers when he gave it away, for your example. We actually lost that game.

Yeah I have it on too, it's pretty bad, this one isn't as bad as the others...yet. I like Anson Carter, he's ok but thats it, Arda is annoying as hell. It's pretty much just a dopey clip show with some social media crap.

Who would have thought I'd miss Hockey Night Live, other than Trautpig and that snooty ****** rags backup guy, [the old crew was better] and they actually covered all the locals pretty well.

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
Thank you.

Somehow we can suck and be capable of blowing out teams at the same time. Quite the paradox. :laugh:

Not hard to really see how the Devils, while clearly not a playoff team, are still better than the Avs and Coyotes and that they shouldn't be letting them back into the game the way they did tonight. Not really that much of a paradox haha.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND

Hall-Zajac-Bennett

I just really want to see Bennett with Hall, I think it would work well. Guess PA doesn't really have to be moved for that to work though.

The issue I have with Hall and Bennett playing together is Bennett has trouble finishing, so I could see Hall setting him up just have Bennett flub chances. Kind of like Zacha setting up Josefson, just to have him not finish.

I'm certainly not against trying it at some point though.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012

Hall-Zajac-Bennett

Please no, that trio was awful. I like to think that if it ain't broke don't break it. Our first line has been good and our 3rd line has been good, keep them together. Our 2nd line hasn't been that good between Camm sucking and Wood playing a bit over his head right now. And our fourth line could use some work but it's the fourth line so I'll let it slide. I wouldn't mind Bennett sliding in on that 2nd line with Henrique, maybe giving Blandisi a shot there as well and see how that works. Cammy can be on the 4th line for all I care.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Not hard to really see how the Devils, while clearly not a playoff team, are still better than the Avs and Coyotes and that they shouldn't be letting them back into the game the way they did tonight. Not really that much of a paradox haha.

I get it, but it's been a trend all season so it's not really all that surprising to me. It certainly speaks to our strategy and/or personnel. All that said, they played a better game for the most part with some mistakes that could have certainly come back to bite them.

They're still a work in progress in many ways, no one is denying that at all.

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010

I didn't think anyone actually watched that show. The commercials always look terrible and when the Arda guy was on the Devils broadcast for a few games he made me never wanna watch.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
As much as I trashed Hynes throughout the game, I'm mostly happy with the game we played tonight. I just wish we could look like this against teams that aren't Buffalo and Colorado more often. We had a string where we looked like this quite a few times in the first 5 or 6 weeks of the season, back when we were 4th in the league in shots for at the time. We did play Buffalo 2 times already by that point, who we've beat up on possession wise in all 3 games against them this season, but we even looked great against some other pretty good teams, like Tampa Bay a couple times. Looking back on it now, Tampa is last place in the conference, though I think they were looking decent at that time, just like we were. Can't believe we're 3 points out of a playoff spot. There's not a huge point disparity between the spot after the last wild card spot and the last place team in the conference. Colorado and Arizona are out of it in the West completely, Detroit is close enough to out of it in the East, but still not nearly to the degree those two Western teams are. And Arizona is still 13 points ahead of Colorado.:amazed:

Yeah I have it on too, it's pretty bad, this one isn't as bad as the others...yet. I like Anson Carter, he's ok but thats it, Arda is annoying as hell. It's pretty much just a dopey clip show with some social media crap.

Who would have thought I'd miss Hockey Night Live, other than Trautpig and that snooty ****** rags backup guy, [the old crew was better] and they actually covered all the locals pretty well.
I liked the old show better. They even had Brian Leetch on sometimes and Dano (in the early days and on nights the Devils weren't playing and were not on the road) and Johnny Mac. Leetch and Graves were fun to listen to, despite being Rangers heroes. They were definitely more tilted for the Rangers, but did a good job in covering all 3 local teams. They even covered the Sabres the first few years of the show. I still have the ''Islanders, Rangers, Devils and Sabres, hockey night live! hockey night live!'' jingle stuck in my head, that was supposed to be Stayin Alive haha.

Reeve was okay, but I didn't think the shot at Marty was necessary, considering what happened in that series. If he made a reference to Marty bobbling and not covering up that the puck on that Callahan shorthanded goal from the 08 playoffs at some point and laughed at him for that, then whatever. The Rangers won that series. What was up with those socks he was wearing? Looked like they came from his great grandfather's sock drawer. :laugh:

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I didn't think anyone actually watched that show. The commercials always look terrible and when the Arda guy was on the Devils broadcast for a few games he made me never wanna watch.

I've only watched it after Devils games ended, when I left the channel on because I was too lazy to change it or just didn't feel like changing it because I was preoccupied with posting on here or something haha. I think I randomly had it on one other time too, and it wasn't that bad that episode, outside of Arda or whatever his WWE name was.

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
I liked the old show better. They even had Brian Leetch on sometimes and Dano (in the early days and on nights the Devils weren't playing and were not on the road) and Johnny Mac. Leetch and Graves were fun to listen to, despite being Rangers heroes. They were definitely more tilted for the Rangers, but did a good job in covering all 3 local teams. They even covered the Sabres the first few years of the show. I still have the ''Islanders, Rangers, Devils and Sabres, hockey night live! hockey night live!'' jingle stuck in my head, that was supposed to be Stayin Alive haha.

Reeve was okay, but I didn't think the shot at Marty was necessary, considering what happened in that series. If he made a reference to Marty bobbling and not covering up that the puck on that Callahan shorthanded goal from the 08 playoffs at some point and laughed at him for that, then whatever. The Rangers won that series. What was up with those socks he was wearing? Looked like they came from his great grandfather's sock drawer. :laugh:

I shut it off after the first commercial lol.

The old rags were fine on that show, Maloney was good, even Duguay, I like and have no problem with them at all. Mac and Dano were good too, DiPietro and Goring also. At least they played the game for a long time with their respective teams, not like that smarmy backup hack ****** who played a handful of games.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I shut it off after the first commercial lol.

The old rags were fine on that show, Maloney was good, even Duguay, I like and have no problem with them at all. Mac and Dano were good too, DiPietro and Goring also. At least they played the game for a long time with their respective teams, not like that smarmy backup hack ****** who played a handful of games.

Valiquette was so bad, he was in net for Igor Larionov's final NHL goal and only goal as a Devil.

Larionov was amazing for the first few games as a Devil, then he scored like 5 points in the last 40 games or whatever it was. He had a couple multi point games early on, where Niedermayer talked him up like he was the prime Larionov haha.

I don't mind DiPietro as an analyst, but those suits just don't look right on him!

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Still only 5 points out lol

Yet we're only 4 points ahead of Detroit for last in the conference. In fact if you look at it there are 12 teams in the league within the 54-60 point range, and 18 teams within a 10 point range from 54-64 points.

The trade deadline could be a dud this year unless more teams start to completely fall out.

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
Yet we're only 4 points ahead of Detroit for last in the conference. In fact if you look at it there are 12 teams in the league within the 54-60 point range, and 18 teams within a 10 point range from 54-64 points.

The trade deadline could be a dud this year unless more teams start to completely fall out.

That'll drive prices up for the people who do sell. It might be in our best interest regardless of how these next couple games go.

I doubt trading PAP and Quincey would effect us much in the standings either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad