Confirmed with Link: Avalanche Adds Bennett, Parkkila to Coaching Staff

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
They should have listed his entire history. Even if people don't know the names from other leagues they understand "all-star" and "best".

So glad we got this guy. His track record year to year is damn near perfect.

Yeah, their bio on him was very weak. Which isn't really that smart considering who he is replacing.

Also I found this (below) on Bennett, it's pretty in depth and recent. Comments from Hitch when he hired on, and Murray. It goes over his experience staying despite different coaches being hired with STL, and a lot of quotes from him.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/hock...cle_5e344540-464c-5bf7-8056-51b8a2feb3bd.html

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
Color me ambivalent until we see the on-ice product. Bednar was hyped massively and a recent Calder Cup winning coach, and he's been an absolute fish out of water in the NHL. I do like that these guys have NHL experience.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Great news on Bennett. They badly needed NHL pedigree behind the bench.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Happy with this. Don't know much about Bennett (other than Blues fans were fine seeing him leaving :laugh:), but he looks experienced, which is something I really wanted.

Yeah I could care less what Blues fans wanted. I'm not scoffing at someone with that much experience from a team that has consistently made the playoffs over the last decade. Bednar absolutely needs perspective from a guy like this. Hitch was a defensive minded coach who still got offense out of a team who was not exactly stacked on the front end. That's exactly what Bednar needs to fit with his style of play. So it goes deeper than just finding an offense minded coach. This is one who has experience finding ways to mix the two effectively.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Went through Parkilla's coaching history and the bigger names he's worked with are:

Tuukka Rask
Riku Helenius
Harri Sateri
Semyon Varlamov
Sergei Bobrovsky

I know Helenius/Sateri didn't amount to much but he was important in their development to turn them into decent goalie prospects at the time.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
I like it. He was an assistant on a team that played good team hockey for a long time.

And I'm almost afraid to ask this: does this coaching hire really truly have not even a hint of nepotism smell to it?

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I guess this is positive because they actually hire two guys with no ties to the organization. I mean correct me if i'm wrong but don't think neither of this coaches have ties to Avs.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I like it. He was an assistant on a team that played good team hockey for a long time.

And I'm almost afraid to ask this: does this coaching hire really truly have not even a hint of nepotism smell to it?

I'm sure someone will find some weird connection lol. Maybe Yakupov liked him?

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
I'm pretty happy that they signed someone with actual NHL experience. And not annoyed like when they hired the dinosaur Farrish

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I wish this team could also bring in someone other than Nolan Pratt to help the defense. Would make a great difference if there was someone like Scott Stevens helping out the Avs bluelline, specially now that they will have bunch of young d-men on the roster.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Nice to see someone with past NHL experience. I don't know anything about this Bennett character, I just hope he's better than Army.

Does anyone know what he did with the Blues recently? I read one article that said he moved from the bench to the coach's box back in 2010. Also, Kirk Muller was the one running the PP when he was there. When was the last time Bennett was actually on the bench and in charge of the PP?

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
We knew about Parkkila, and that's obviously good news given his connection to Varly.

I'm borderline shocked they brought in such an experienced assistant coach. I'm assuming he'll be a bench coach, not the "eye in the sky" role that they mentioned him having experience with. That's usually a lesser role.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Going with NHL experience in this hire means there's a Bednar replacement should the Avs choose that option.

I thought about that, but I don't think he's had HC experience outside of Red Deer Community College (according to his bio). Maybe he'll do as an interim HC for a lost season, but I really hope their thought process isn't to have Bennett as a fallback just because he's been around a while.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad