Confirmed with Link: Avalanche Adds Bennett, Parkkila to Coaching Staff

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
A few tidbits on Bennett.

He was with the Blues for EJ's entire tenure. At some point he took over the PP duties, though by his own admission he came in as a video coach.

Coincidentally or not, EJ's two best seasons on the power play were in St Louis his first two years. Both in goals and points.

If you accumulate the PP% for teams from 2007-08 to 2016-17, where Bennett was the assistant coach, and presumably ran the PP most years except early on, and probably 2010-11 when he moved upstairs under Mellanby, their power play ranks 9th in the league over that time with 18.8%.

Over the course of the last three seasons, they're 2nd in the league on the PP with 21.7%.

They've been in the top 10 on the PP each year of the last four seasons.

http://www.nhl.com/stats/team?aggre...20162017&filter=gamesPlayed,gte,1&sort=ppPctg

I don't know how much credit we can give Bennett for their PP without knowing what he actually did. Muller was in charge of the PP both years he was with the Blues and I believe it was either Wilson or Thomas last year. Has Bennett even been behind the bench since the year he moved upstairs?

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I'm sure there is or were a deal available out there for Duchene like...

Hall for Larsson

Johansen for Jones

Sakic can't be asking for lets say Duchene for Jones + a pick + a prospect. He needs to find that type of one for one trade and get it done.

AMDZen

ME in the RED Circle
Apr 7, 2010
Denver
Home.Page.ZeN
I'm sure there is or were a deal available out there for Duchene like...

Hall for Larsson

Johansen for Jones

Sakic can't be asking for lets say Duchene for Jones + a pick + a prospect. He needs to find that type of one for one trade and get it done.

Hanifin for Duchene?

Pretty sure he would have accepted if CAR would have.

I don't see any other one for one options out there.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Hanifin for Duchene?

Pretty sure he would have accepted if CAR would have.

I don't see any other one for one options out there.

I think Canes made it clear that Hanifin is not being traded.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
This is not a Duchene trade/Joe Sakic GM performance thread. Now, I don't have the time to move all those posts over to their correct threads, so I'll just say this: Knock that off in this thread, and post it in the correct thread. Anyone who wants to continue posting OT stuff will be subject to Moderator Action.

We're usually pretty lenient on some OT stuff that gets posted in threads from time to time, but w/ regards to a Duchene trade or wanting to talk about Joe's performance, please take that stuff to their appropriate threads, sound good?

AMDZen

ME in the RED Circle
Apr 7, 2010
Denver
Home.Page.ZeN
This is not a Duchene trade/Joe Sakic GM performance thread. Now, I don't have the time to move all those posts over to their correct threads, so I'll just say this: Knock that off in this thread, and post it in the correct thread. Anyone who wants to continue posting OT stuff will be subject to Moderator Action.

We're usually pretty lenient on some OT stuff that gets posted in threads from time to time, but w/ regards to a Duchene trade or wanting to talk about Joe's performance, please take that stuff to their appropriate threads, sound good?

Just out of curiosity, what exactly is the right thread?

Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 2017-18 Part I?

Doesn't seem right.

The Duchene to Nashville thread? If we talk about Duchene to other teams is that also off topic for that thread? Why isn't there a Duchene thread stickied for all Duchene talk?

ArWKo

Jul 2, 2009
CO

Doesn't seem right.

The Duchene to Nashville thread? If we talk about Duchene to other teams is that also off topic for that thread? Why isn't there a Duchene thread stickied for all Duchene talk?

How does a thread titled "Avs Proposals/Rumors" not seem right for talking about proposals or rumors of what may or may not have been offered for Duchene in a trade?

I think there certainly could be a Duchene sticky but the Proposals thread is exactly where that talk should be.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas

Doesn't seem right.

The Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 2017-18 thread is the appropriate one.

AMDZen

ME in the RED Circle
Apr 7, 2010
Denver
Home.Page.ZeN
How does a thread titled "Avs Proposals/Rumors" not seem right for talking about proposals or rumors of what may or may not have been offered for Duchene in a trade?

I think there certainly could be a Duchene sticky but the Proposals thread is exactly where that talk should be.

Then why was there a separate thread for Duchene to Nashville? I honestly have no clue about how you guys run this forum because I constantly run into this. And then get my posts deleted instead of moved.

It's rediculous and honestly, never mind I'm done. This is why I don't come in here.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I don't know how much credit we can give Bennett for their PP without knowing what he actually did. Muller was in charge of the PP both years he was with the Blues and I believe it was either Wilson or Thomas last year. Has Bennett even been behind the bench since the year he moved upstairs?

Even if he is only a video coach most of the time, I still would take his NHL experience over the AHL guy that was rumored to be there for rookie camp. Even just some fresh ideas for the PP would be welcome, Army was so one-note when it came to the man advantage.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI

Thank you. So annoying that every thread turns into a Duchene thread around here lately.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014

Yeah, I'm curious to know his role year from year.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

That's true. It's hard to tell because we don't know which years he ran the PP. We just know that he's been there since 2007-08 and he's held that responsibility there in that time.

Foppa Frossa

May 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Even the Blues board can't seem to agree on what exactly he did for them...

tenor.gif

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Even the Blues board can't seem to agree on what exactly he did for them...

From my understanding he's very much a team player, and has handled a plethora of duties over the years, and isn't a guy that seeks the limelight for doing them. Seems mostly known for his game planning against opponents. Something that they likely relied upon in all areas, even when he wasn't on the bench.

I think this was one of the bigger differences between Roy and Bednar. Roy had different gamelans, and adjusted them accordingly for each team. Bednar seemed to keep things very simple, and didn't want to change anything, whether the players were suited for it or not, and no matter who they played. Until around the second half of the season, and someone talked him into being a little more flexible.

Bennett does seem like the perfect assistant for Bednar. Good experienced guy in all areas for him to lean on, and do the grunt work.

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
We've pretty well filled all the holes this team has had this off season. All I wanted was experience behind the bench to help Jared Bednar.

Bennett has had both teams Kings / Blues humming. Always competitive. Always high paced. Always with the right attitude.

I can smell the playoffs people. Are we excited?

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
We've pretty well filled all the holes this team has had this off season. All I wanted was experience behind the bench to help Jared Bednar.

Bennett has had both teams Kings / Blues humming. Always competitive. Always high paced. Always with the right attitude.

I can smell the playoffs people. Are we excited?

I think we'd actually all be better off if we could have your mindset. Seriously. :cheers:

famicommander

Aug 12, 2011
These coaches should tell them not to suck. That's what I'd do.

Also, they should tell them to try winning.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I think most people wanted an indicator of a "rebuild". If we accept that's not happening then yeah a few small moves is what we wanted.

What other indicators for a rebuild were you expecting?

Every move the Avs have made this summer screams rebuild to me. They bought out the old veteran on Defense, let all the old UFAs walk away, they didn't sign any player over the age of 30 as well as not signing anyone to a contract over 1 year. And they didn't sign many free agents at all(Leaving the door wide open for young kids to play in the NHL next year).

If people were expecting us to dump off a bunch of older guys for picks/prospects they weren't thinking very clearly at all. The offseason is never the time for that stuff to happen. Especially not when the older pieces we'd be trying to move have awful contracts and thus either very little or almost no value at all.

Everything the Avs have done this summer has indicated that they're not thinking about next year and that they're eyes are set on the future of this team. The only thing that's left for this to be an ideal rebuilding summer is a Duchene trade for a futures heavy package, which at this point we'll probably see at some point.

DanishAvsfan

Aug 27, 2007
The only thing that's left for this to be an ideal rebuilding summer is a Duchene trade for a futures heavy package, which at this point we'll probably see at some point.

While I would be good with a futures heavy package I don't think Sakic will settle for that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad