Post-Game Talk: Avalanche 2 Devils 1: We still suck in the shootout edition

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
to avoid shootouts, it would be nice to show up in the first 2 periods.

tumblr_luvwxb00u51qll9d0.jpg

Dude gets it.

ThePSEGPowerPoster

LOSER POINTS!
Feb 23, 2013
4 on 4 for ten minutes seems to make the most sense to me. Some will say that it makes the game too long, but the changeover from the OT to the shootout takes just as much time when you think about it. And I can't see how most games wouldn't end with a winner in 10 minutes of 4 on 4 play.

3 on 3 is just as bad as the shootout though. Both are just real cheesy and lame ways to finish off a game for a professional league imho. 3 on 3 and the shootout, it all just feels like something similar to what you would see in that league from the dodgeball movie.

I'm in the "anything but a shootout" camp. I admit, the one game we played 3 on 3 was just a joy to watch. So I wouldn't mind more of that.

4 on 4 > Tie > 3 on 3 > shootout

Sir Fenwick Corsi

NJ Lottery PICK-3
Dec 29, 2010
New York
I'm in the "anything but a shootout" camp. I admit, the one game we played 3 on 3 was just a joy to watch. So I wouldn't mind more of that.

3 on 3 can be fun when it's something that you don't see too often. Under those circumstances, it's a blast and something to get excited about and appreciate. But just like the penalty shot, too much of it is no good.

Growing up, an anouncement of a penalty shot during a game was awesome. It was a real exciting part of a game that you usually didn't get much of a chance to see. Now it's pretty much yawn worthy.

These things can be great as individual moments in games, but using them as a way to declare a winner? Yeah, not so much.

Last edited:

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
Imagine if we just won half of those shootouts. We'd be in 3rd in the division and pretty decent shape. But no it takes offensive players with skill to score in shootouts which is something the Devils don't have and probably won't have this season.

Dude skill is definetly not the only reason that they can't score on shootouts. Of course it would be nice to have more on this team but these guys are all professional hockey players who have plenty of skill and just miss now. Maybe it's a confidence issue? I don't know Elias basically had an empty net and put it right into Varlamov's pads. Henrique missed the net, and not Clowe is much better at shootouts than he has been this season.

I don't really buy a NHL team going 1/25 in shootouts because of skill reasons, hell boucher is the only one to score and I wouldn't say he's is one of the more skilled players on this team.

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
Right before Patty went in the shootout my brother said, watch he'll go forehand-backhand deke and won't get the puck up. :laugh:

The shootout is what it is at this point, a complete and utter failure. Obviously we need to win in regulation and if not we need to go all out to score in OT if it gets there. Putting ****ing Gionta out in OT while Boucher and Lokti sit the entire OT is absolutely moronic, just laughable. Did Gelly even get a shift?

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
Gelinas had 4 shifts in OT.

Gionta had 2 with Clowe though lol. And Gionta had 5 shifts in the last 10 minutes of regulation. Loktionov and Boucher got 2 shifts after they combined for a goal.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I turn off the game when it goes to a shootout anymore

I just follow it via twitter

I'll be doing this from now on. I refuse to watch any more of this garbage from here on out. I won't even follow it on twitter, I'll check back after 5 minutes and see what happened.

I was hoping Duchene would end it last night on a breakaway. At least we would have lost on a REAL breakaway, rather than on a breakaway in the shootout.

Devils Trap

May 6, 2009
New Jersey
I'll be doing this from now on. I refuse to watch any more of this garbage from here on out. I won't even follow it on twitter, I'll check back after 5 minutes and see what happened.

I was hoping Duchene would end it last night on a breakaway. At least we would have lost on a REAL breakaway, rather than on a breakaway in the shootout.

Trust me. Ive been doing it since we started like 0-4 and I started doing it

Plus i have game center and it delayed so its easier for me to just check twitter. Bam we lost oh well

Japam

I love Matt Loughlin.
May 21, 2012
nj

Haha, me too. I actually got excited when he broke in all alone.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Haha, me too. I actually got excited when he broke in all alone.

I'm not gonna lie. I was rooting for it to go in. There wasn't even 30 seconds left in OT, and I KNEW we were gonna lose in the shootout.

It's why I say take some chances and roll 4 forwards for the last couple minutes of OT. What's the worst that could happen? We allow a breakaway and lose? I'll never even wonder what could have been had we gotten to the shootout. I don't expect us to win one all year.

captainscott

Nov 5, 2007

Im sure there are union and or league reasons why they have the shootout.. but to the pure hockey fan 4 on 4 or even 3 on 3 is light years better than a shootout.. I find them rather boring compared to the ot 4 on 4

again it is not sour grapes but if the devils were only .500 in a shootout we would be in second place in our division...

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I was hoping that JAGR would end it if not for Varlamov ROBBING HIM in OT.

I thought that was the GAME right there.... :banghead:

Yup I did too. Great save, but we didn't really deserve to win that game based on the first 40 minutes where the team looked lost.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
The only thing that could make me watch another shootout, is if the lineup is Volchenkov, Janssen, Gelinas. At least that would be funny to watch. This crap we see every night is NOT funny to watch. It's painful to watch.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Why root for the other team to win in OT? I know we're not going to win the shootout but baby steps first...if we actually score one or two in the shootout it might provide the breakthrough to EVENTUALLY win one :laugh:

We're not going to get over the hump unless we keep at it. Or follow Jagr's directive and end every game before the shootout. And like someone else said if we do get to a shootout throw out someone that isn't expected that'll give the bench a buzz of adrenaline.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad