OT: Autographs/Hockey Cards Thread

Strawberry Fields

12x Calder Cup Champs
Sep 29, 2017
Central PA
I'm a big baseball card collector. Hockey cards I never really got into despite my fandom for the Flyers, but I'd like to start.

I know the Topps RC = Upper Deck Young Guns in terms of baseball = hockey. My question is what is the equivalent to the Bowman 1st Auto for hockey? Is it the Future Watch autos? Which product is the premier rookie auto to have?
Future Watch Autos are probably the most sought after rookie autos in hockey given that they're serial numbered and come in a fairly affordable product (SP Authentic). I don't have a lot of luck with SPA so I don't buy it a whole lot.

Is bowman on the upper end? I think the cup is one of the upper end “packs”
Cup is sought after but definitely not in most people's ranges unless they're willing to drop $500+ on seven or eight cards :laugh: It's one product I've never opened and probably never will. Just can't justify it

Reactions: b10 and Defect

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
Future Watch Autos are probably the most sought after rookie autos in hockey given that they're serial numbered and come in a fairly affordable product (SP Authentic). I don't have a lot of luck with SPA so I don't buy it a whole lot.

Cup is sought after but definitely not in most people's ranges unless they're willing to drop $500+ on seven or eight cards :laugh: It's one product I've never opened and probably never will. Just can't justify it
I don’t know most cards at all but I thought the cup was too dog for hockey. Since he mentioned a name I thought that may be too dog for baseball. Listen to strawberry here.

Reactions: Strawberry Fields

Strawberry Fields

12x Calder Cup Champs
Sep 29, 2017
Central PA
I don’t know most cards at all but I thought the cup was too dog for hockey. Since he mentioned a name I thought that may be too dog for baseball. Listen to strawberry here.
You're not wrong that The Cup is sought after. Hell, McDavid's rookie patch auto from 15-16 Cup sold for $135,000 this summer. But it's a pipedream for your average collector at its outrageous cost point. :laugh: SP Authentic is relatively cheap (usually about $120-130 a box when it comes out and the Future Watch Autographs are serial numbered an on card (not sticker autographs), so that product and subset are pretty popular with hockey collectors. I'm not a big fan of Authentic myself because I've never had much success with it, but I assume it's along the lines of what he's looking for. (I hardly know anything about baseball, let alone baseball cards)

Reactions: Defect

b10

Jan 26, 2012

Thanks for the reply! Watched all of the videos you have on your YouTube channel between last night and today. Enjoyed it. Go Flyers.

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
You're not wrong that The Cup is sought after. Hell, McDavid's rookie patch auto from 15-16 Cup sold for $135,000 this summer. But it's a pipedream for your average collector at its outrageous cost point. :laugh: SP Authentic is relatively cheap (usually about $120-130 a box when it comes out and the Future Watch Autographs are serial numbered an on card (not sticker autographs), so that product and subset are pretty popular with hockey collectors. I'm not a big fan of Authentic myself because I've never had much success with it, but I assume it's along the lines of what he's looking for. (I hardly know anything about baseball, let alone baseball cards)
I think I bought a box of SPA a few years back. The best pull was a redemption for Trevor linden. The luck of the draw! Nice product though.

Strawberry Fields

12x Calder Cup Champs
Sep 29, 2017
Central PA
Just pulled minutes ago.
20200911_163226.jpg

Strawberry Fields

12x Calder Cup Champs
Sep 29, 2017
Central PA
How much are those two new McDavid and Pettersson cards worth today?
I looked up the McDavid on Ebay. It's sold for about $250 on average it seems. But I've been chasing him for so long that it's mine now :laugh:

The Pettersson should *probably* be able to fetch $100 +. One of the two that sold on ebay did, the other sold for $76 or something like that (both were auctions). I think it's probably worth *a little* more than that but probably not outrageously more.

Reactions: CanadianFlyer88

Schwarbomb

Howie Be Thy Name
Jul 2, 2011
Arizona
Is anyone familiar with basketball cards? What are the best rookie cards if I wanted to pick some up?
I've been paying very close attention to it since July. Ended up offloading almost all my childhood collection. Basically the cards that collectors want are rookie cards of current or future hall of famers. Or limited numbered cards like refractors, autographs or jersey cards. Young guys to invest in would be Doncic and Giannis. They will be the face of the league for a decade. I wouldn't waste time buying and ripping open packs. Any other questions such as current market prices or anything let me know.

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
I've been paying very close attention to it since July. Ended up offloading almost all my childhood collection. Basically the cards that collectors want are rookie cards of current or future hall of famers. Or limited numbered cards like refractors, autographs or jersey cards. Young guys to invest in would be Doncic and Giannis. They will be the face of the league for a decade. I wouldn't waste time buying and ripping open packs. Any other questions such as current market prices or anything let me know.
How about something like a Bol Bol rookie auto?

Schwarbomb

Howie Be Thy Name
Jul 2, 2011
Arizona
How about something like a Bol Bol rookie auto?
In general or are you looking at a specific one? I was a big fan of him coming out, his talent far exceeds his draft position. Depending on price that could be a good long term play. He's probably going to be 3rd string to begin this season.

That's the thing with cards, it will be years down the road, if ever, to make a real profit. I don't buy new cards but if I did I would only hold onto the true generational, once every 5 years type of prospects or young players. I would be selling off almost everyone trying to capitalize on new young player hype.

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
In general or are you looking at a specific one? I was a big fan of him coming out, his talent far exceeds his draft position. Depending on price that could be a good long term play. He's probably going to be 3rd string to begin this season.

That's the thing with cards, it will be years down the road, if ever, to make a real profit. I don't buy new cards but if I did I would only hold onto the true generational, once every 5 years type of prospects or young players. I would be selling off almost everyone trying to capitalize on new young player hype.
Which rookie card type has the most value? Which brand?

I know hockey has Future Watch and Young Guns, is there an equivalent for NBA?

Last edited:

Schwarbomb

Howie Be Thy Name
Jul 2, 2011
Arizona
Which rookie card type has the most value? Which brand?

I know hockey has Future Watch and Young Guns, is there an equivalent for NBA?
Topps, upper deck, and fleer back in the day. These days Panini is king. They are the only company with an NBA license, they release sets of all different names such as impeccable, immaculate, flawless, national treasures, optic, prizm, etc.

Reactions: BestPlayerAvailable

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad