OT: Autographs/Hockey Cards Thread

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
I'm honestly tongue twisted to begin with and this being the first time I've ever recorded myself for this (not counting test runs) made it worse. I was also fixated on giving that little channel intro at the beginning and was concerned about leaving out something I wanted to mention. Plus I hate, despise how my voice sounds recorded (but doesn't everyone?). It might not show in the video but I did feel more and more comfortable as the box went on. I'm definitely expecting kinks for a while but I'm definitely not as worried about future videos as I was the first time. I'm not used to talking during my box breaks, let alone narrating them, at least not yet, ha. I always wonder how sports commentators can do it.
It definitely did get better as you went on, and I’m sure you’re going to get better as you do more.
Why do you take the last card from the back and move it from the front?

Reactions: Strawberry Fields

Strawberry Fields

12x Calder Cup Champs
Sep 29, 2017
Central PA
It definitely did get better as you went on, and I’m sure you’re going to get better as you do more.
Why do you take the last card from the back and move it from the front?
Because the insert/jersey/auto is usually the first card behind the spacer. I like to save it for last in the pack, so I move the last base card or two to the front.

Reactions: Defect

Strawberry Fields

12x Calder Cup Champs
Sep 29, 2017
Central PA
Was looking through my old autographs and forgot I had this one @Captain Dave Poulin
20200806_195145.jpg

swami24

Jul 24, 2020
A coworker has an autograph for everyone that has ever played for flyers. He lives near Vorhees, and I dont know how he got the early ones.

I only went to team signing events when my daughter was little. Funny story. We went when Forsberg was here, and went to get his first. They had given out a poster with all of the players. Forsberg signs the poster then draws a Hitler moustache on Jon Sim. So of course we get into the line for the group with Sim. He sees the stache, looks at me and says "Forsberg is such a d!ck."

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008

Here's my channel and first video. Feel free to watch on mute because my voice is awful. I opened a box of this year's Ice for my first video (which, ironically, didn't have any autographs).

Gonna check out your videos, GL with the channel.

Maybe change this to the Autograph/Hockey Cards thread?

Don't collect myself but have been watching this guy a bunch and it's very entertaining: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UClZW4yt0mevmLMeZrUZpR9w

Maybe at some point I'll buy a box or something, I'm a bit of a minimalist and just not sure it's a great hobby for me :laugh:

Grandma

Oct 23, 2017
Have a Ryan Nugent-Hopkins signed draft day ticket I don't really have much use for any longer. Looking to sell it if anyone is interested.

Attachments

• RNH.jpg
    RNH.jpg
    263.4 KB · Views: 3

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City

Strawberry Fields

12x Calder Cup Champs
Sep 29, 2017
Central PA
Sweet!

Is there a good site to see top valued cards for a certain series? For example if I'm buying a pack of Upper Deck 19-20 Series 2, which are the most valuable cards?
I've never bought a price guide so I usually rely on eBay sold listings and COMC (Check Out My Cards, a site that sells singles) listings. They're not always 100% accurate but should provide at least a decent gauge at a card's value. I personally don't know of any site that lists the values of a product's whole checklist, but if there is, I'd be interested to see it!

The big selling point of Series 1 and 2 is always the Young Guns. Series 2 typically has a weaker checklist than Series 1, since the top rookies usually go in the latter; however, this year I personally think the Young Guns crop is stronger in Series 2. Makar is the biggest one but there are also a lot of other sought after names: Suzuki, Dach, Elvis, and Kakko just to name a few. I have pulled each of the first three so far. Series 2 also has canvas Young Gun variants of some big rookies who had their base Young Gun in Series 2, like Quinn Hughes, though these are less common (I think 1:2 boxes). There are also rarer Clear Cut (acetate), Exclusives (#'d to 100), and High Gloss (#'d to 10) variants of each Young Gun. Young Guns aren't the *only* valuable cards in Series 1 and 2, but they are the most common ones what most people buy the product for.

Series 1 or 2 are definitely good products to start with for someone new to the hobby. A box of either won't break the bank and gives a shot at good value. They also come in several formats. You can typically buy a 24-pack hobby box of Series 1 for about $70, Series 2 for $75. A 24-pack retail box of either usually goes for about $20 less. The main difference between the two is that the former offers sets like the Clear Cuts, Exclusives, High Gloss and other insert sets that can't be pulled from retail. Both 24-pack boxes guarantee six Young Guns. There are also retail tins (9 packs, 2 Young Guns) and retail "blaster" boxes (7 packs, 1 Young Gun) that offer an even cheaper buy at about $15 and $25, respectively. It's a fun set to chase and you have a lot of options for how to do so.

b10

Jan 26, 2012
I'm a big baseball card collector. Hockey cards I never really got into despite my fandom for the Flyers, but I'd like to start.

I know the Topps RC = Upper Deck Young Guns in terms of baseball = hockey. My question is what is the equivalent to the Bowman 1st Auto for hockey? Is it the Future Watch autos? Which product is the premier rookie auto to have?

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
I'm a big baseball card collector. Hockey cards I never really got into despite my fandom for the Flyers, but I'd like to start.

I know the Topps RC = Upper Deck Young Guns in terms of baseball = hockey. My question is what is the equivalent to the Bowman 1st Auto for hockey? Is it the Future Watch autos? Which product is the premier rookie auto to have?
Is bowman on the upper end? I think the cup is one of the upper end “packs”

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad