Tennis: Australian Open 2020

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Really like Thiem in this tournament. I could see him taking down Djokovic in the final.

Hopefully, Novak is getting unbearably smug again. But my guess is Zverev has a strong game and advances to the final where he gets slaughtered by Novak.

Reactions: JianYang

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I like Thiem over Zverev, but not by a ton (assuming Sascha doesn't devolve to nightmare form). In the final, I like Nole over either one, but not by a ton.

Muguruza over Kenin seems the obvious call, mostly because Kenin hasn't experienced anything like this before. But if Garbine gets nervous and starts badly misfiring, that's going to smell like fresh blood to a hungry shark.

I don't think it likely, but I think Kenin has a small but not insignificant chance of winning this tournament right now through sheer force of will.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Actually the more I look at Garbine's stats over the past two years, the more I like Kenin's chances, a lot more.

Novak Djokovic

#24 and counting... #GOAT
Dec 10, 2006
As expected. Hopefully, the crowd and this forum is heavily disappointed on Sunday morning as well. Let's go Nole!

Thiem definitely has a decent shot, he plays quite well. Novak should be rested, no excuses if he loses. He will simply have been outplayed by them./

Reactions: KapG and KMart27

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
Hopefully, Novak is getting unbearably smug again. But my guess is Zverev has a strong game and advances to the final where he gets slaughtered by Novak.

I wouldn't bet on Zverev in matches like these, Thiem's the fav no doubt.

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
Actually the more I look at Garbine's stats over the past two years, the more I like Kenin's chances, a lot more.

Well you should not look at those stats because they can be thrown out the window now, the old champion Mug is back, not the one from the past 2 years.

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
I like Thiem over Zverev, but not by a ton (assuming Sascha doesn't devolve to nightmare form). In the final, I like Nole over either one, but not by a ton.

Muguruza over Kenin seems the obvious call, mostly because Kenin hasn't experienced anything like this before. But if Garbine gets nervous and starts badly misfiring, that's going to smell like fresh blood to a hungry shark.

I don't think it likely, but I think Kenin has a small but not insignificant chance of winning this tournament right now through sheer force of will.

Mug won't get nervous, even if she does it certainly won't be more than Kenin will be. Did you not see Mug's massive strength in that match, she can outdo Kenin there.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Well you should not look at those stats because they can be thrown out the window now, the old champion Mug is back, not the one from the past 2 years.
Even at her best Mug was never a slam-dunk sure thing. She's had a great tournament, but I ain't countin' no chickens before they are hatched.

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
Even at her best Mug was never a slam-dunk sure thing. She's had a great tournament, but I ain't countin' no chickens before they are hatched.

She pretty much is vs. Kenin, if her performance yesterday did not impress you then I don't know what to say.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
She pretty much is vs. Kenin, if her performance yesterday did not impress you then I don't know what to say.
I was impressed and can see why she is the favourite. Let me ask you this, have you ever awaited a match of hers and thought "yeah, she's got this, no question." I've never had that feeling with her. I can see her get tight and stumble because she has done that often enough before.

fEyD08

Jan 13, 2018
Thiem should win this one. He is little bit more mature which could make the difference. Interesting fact is Zverevs service has a little less speed with a higher first serve completion percentage this year.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Thiem surprisingly going off the rails in a first set loss, 6-3. Zverev is playing good tennis, but nothing that one would think could cause this.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Thiem took a messy set, 6-4. Seven service breaks between them so far.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Thiem again can't hold onto an early break, but plays very well in the subsequent tie breaker to take control of the match, up two sets to one now.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
4-all in the fourth set. This has become quite a dogfight though increasingly a one-sided one....Thiem wins another breaker for the win. Dominic just did too many things better than Sascha tonight.

Last edited:

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Tight match. Zverev actually kept it closer than I expected.

Thiem won't go down easy but Djokvoic should capture another AO title.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Managed to watch a little bit this morning of the third set. Thiem looked better, but not by much, and his play today didn't look sharp enough for Djokovic on Sunday. Hopefully he brings a stronger game.

Even if Djokovic wins, a final like the US Open that really puts the outcome in doubt would be a big step in there right direction of feeling like the depth is there.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
If Djokovic wins, he reclaims world #1.
If Thiem wins, he'll move to #3 in the world, a new career high.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad