Tennis: Australian Open 2020

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Yeah, the wildfires happening there should definitely mean it gets postponed this year. Maybe until March. Some things are more important than sports.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Yeah, the wildfires happening there should definitely mean it gets postponed this year. Maybe until March. Some things are more important than sports.

The tennis calendar seems to have little capacity for schedule adjustments like that, but Aussie Open is maybe the one that could pull it off. Just from the perspective of reallocating emergency services personnel to support the tournament should be a reason to consider it.

Reactions: tony d

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Qualifying set to begin this week. Schnur is very close to direct entry but needs 3 more people to drop out before qualifying starts. Seems unlikely.

Him, Polansky and Diez are in qualifying on the Men's side.

Fernandez and Bouchard on the Women's side.

Auger-Aliassime, Shapovalov, Raonic and Pospisil are in the main draw.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
So far Bianca, DelPo and Gasquet have withdrawn. I guess we'll find out if others pull out as we get closer.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
After his relatively straightforward win against Nadal, Nole has to be the strong favourite to win this title. And Serena looks in good early season form, too, with her championship win yesterday in New Zealand. Still, I'm going with Osaka to defend her title.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Bouchard made it to the quarters in a recent tournament. Be interesting to see if that success can follow her to this tournament.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Interesting (but far from surprising) that Bernard Tomic has (read : wasn't given a Wild Card) to qualify. Even more interesting is that he's actually bothering with qualifying in the first.

Sharapova getting a WC is a disgrace.

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
I'm surprised they haven't moved this to February or March. I guess scheduling makes it difficult, but with the fires and the heat, it seems like playing in this tournament would not be very good, for the players or fans.

Reactions: Say Hey Kid

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Bouchard is having issues with the smoke. I think the players need to band together and say they won't play.

Genie got through in the third, 6-1. Both she and her opponent called doctors and trainers quite a bit.

Tomic lost in straights.

Last edited:

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
A Slovene player (W) also abandonned after having won the first set.

Meanwhile, the Australian Open director is basically :

bagdad-bob.gif

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Yeah, this tournament should be postponed this year. Players and fan's health should be of greater importance than this tournament.

It'll be interesting to see what type of withdrawals we may see.

I'd argue that there's a tougher decision on the qualifying this week. The majors are highly lucrative, even in qualifying, and the players at that level can least afford to withdraw from a tournament they've already flown out to.

Reactions: Say Hey Kid

Say Hey Kid

Bathory
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
Yeah, this tournament should be postponed this year. Players and fan's health should be of greater importance than this tournament.
Agreed, it's wrong. Business wise it's a bad decision and look also. Sending a message that the players' health doesn't matter is not the way to keep and bring the fans back.

Reactions: tony d

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Fernandez is up a set, 4-1 and her ad but play has been suspended for hours and is done for the day.

Denis beat Vasek 6-4, 7-6. Felix won 6-3, 7-6 with a bagel in the breaker.

Reactions: Tuggy

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Roger and Rafa donated $250,000 together to help the victims of the fires.

Reactions: kihei

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
I saw a pic, apparently a lot of money was donated for the fire relief. That's good to see. Bouchard plays her next qualifier tonight at 10:40 PM EST.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Fernandez is up a set, 4-1 and her ad but play has been suspended for hours and is done for the day.

(...)

And not against a bad player either. 7th Q seed, 4 former presences at Gran Slams (altough no wins), a few WTA finals, once ranked in the Top-100...

Reactions: Tuggy

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Polansky got beatdown in his first round qualifying match.

Fernandez should be resuming her match soon.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad