Tennis: Australian Open 2019

Asheville

Feb 1, 2018
Don't get me wrong, I love seeing these guys playing at the top of their game well into their 30s but I feel like it would be healthier for the sport if one of the teens/early 20s guys (especially those with tons of marketability like Shapovalov or Tsitsipas) break through and win a major or two. It's still too one sided, these semifinal blowouts aren't good for the game IMO.

Think about it, what was the biggest story of this Australian Open besides arguably the Serena upset? It was Tsitsipas beating Federer. Upsets grab attention, young rising stars grab attention and add some legit competition and storylines going forward. Right now, Nadal and Djokovic are still well ahead of the rest of the field at full health and while I get what you're saying in regards to cherishing these guys while we have them, I'd also like to see some breakthroughs to spice things up.

With that said, I'll be up first thing in the morning with my eyes glued to Djokovic/Nadal. There's always so much hype about the Federer/Nadal rivalry because of that one Wimbledon classic and with them being the two most popular figures in Men's Tennis history but for my money, Djokovic/Nadal is the best rivalry on the court in the modern era.

Seeing these 3 jockey for the GOAT title is plenty of spice.

And the media's choice of what to highlight isn't an authority I recognize on what is good for the game. I mean, you're talking about the same media that blew its wad over Melanie Oudin and thinks a hulking "woman" beating up on slender eastern European girls is great.

Wanting lesser athletes to win just because you're bored of the those that are unbeatable says more about your attention span than the quality of play.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
Agreed. Nadal the by far the better player in clay, but Djokovic owns an 18-7 edge on hard courts (though they are tied 2-2 in 5-setters on hard courts). I also give Nole the edge but this is going at least 4 sets and at least 3 1/2 hours.

My money is on Rafa, he's looked amazing in this tournament and has spent so little time on the court. History certainly favours Novak though.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
SAnd the media's choice of what to highlight isn't an authority I recognize on what is good for the game. I mean, you're talking about the same media that blew its wad over Melanie Oudin and thinks a hulking "woman" beating up on slender eastern European girls is great.

Come on man.

Wanting lesser athletes to win just because you're bored of the those that are unbeatable says more about your attention span than the quality of play.

Nothing wrong with wanting to see some new players compete for the slams. We've been waiting for the next star to emerge for long time now. The sport is gonna be in a rough place if someone doesn't come along before the big 3 are all done.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Seeing these 3 jockey for the GOAT title is plenty of spice.

And the media's choice of what to highlight isn't an authority I recognize on what is good for the game. I mean, you're talking about the same media that blew its wad over Melanie Oudin and thinks a hulking "woman" beating up on slender eastern European girls is great.

And the tone of your post says all I need to know about what kind of poster you are.

Asheville

Feb 1, 2018
Come on man.

Oh please. She doesn't have a typical physique for a female tennis player (not even Sabatini had such a build; Amanmuradova was a tall freak who had no control over how to use her gangly frame) and thusly plays with zero tact, just muscling the ball against women who are too physically weak to do anything. Justine Henin was as close as we got to a woman heady enough to deal with her, and even she was too weak. My old buddy Josh Cohen (USTA, college and futures tour standout) used to be her hitting partner in Palm Beach Gardens and while he used to beat her routinely, he thought she'd get better competition on the men's ITF Futures circuit than from anyone on the WTA.

Nothing wrong with wanting to see some new players compete for the slams. We've been waiting for the next star to emerge for long time now. The sport is gonna be in a rough place if someone doesn't come along before the big 3 are all done.

We have?

Maybe it's less about the following generations' incompetence and more about how truly great these 3 are. Ever consider that?

And detail for us why the sport will be bad off if we don't get new winners asap? Hate to break it to you, but the big 3 are keeping the tour afloat. The ATP will be scarcely covered when they are gone.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Got the feeling that Osaka/Kvitova will be worth staying up for. Seems like an absolute toss-up on paper.

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
Now now let's respect each other's opinions and let's not get too heated.... least this corner of HF become like MensTennisForums or the soccer section of these boards.

Novak Djokovic

#24 and counting... #GOAT
Dec 10, 2006
Have a flight to catch early, so will miss women's final. Going to have to wake up early to catch Rafa vs. Nole. Could be anywhere from 2 to 5 hours haha.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
First set is very tight but Osaka shows composure in the breaker and wins it going away, 7-2. Both women failed on opportunities in that set, so there was little to choose between them.

Second set: A very unfortunate result for Osaka. Despite being broken for love-2, she fought back hard, dominating the rest of the set with a lovely combination of power and placement. Then receiving at 5-3, Naomi blew three match points and a love-40 lead. Serving for the set at 5-4, she was broken and, her concentrations in tatters, was broken again for 7-5. Kvitova somehow survives for a third set that she probably didn't think she was gong to see.

Third set: Osaka's body language is the pits right now. Why give Kvitova a boost?...Despite the hangdog stuff, Naomi nabs the first break, 2-1....at the moment both women have won 93 points.....at 4-2 Naomi again blows a love-40 advantage on Kvitova's serve. If she loses this it will be a really ugly loss...Petra again forces Osaka to serve for the match, 5-4....no mistake this time, and she wins her second consecutive GS.

Fun match.

Last edited:

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
Wow what a match. Congrats to Osaka on back to back grand slam titles and first ever Japanese player in men's and women's to reach number 1. Glad she calmed down. I was afraid she was going to crumble and lose after the 2nd set. Also way to not quit Kvitova. Hard fought match.

Question though when Osaka was serving there was an out call. Osaka asked something and the umpire said it was close. Is that common for the umpire to let them know if it was close or not? The ump also said it's your last challenge and the announcers were surprised that she let her know.

Reactions: Tuggy

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Wow what a match. Congrats to Osaka on back to back grand slam titles and first ever Japanese player in men's and women's to reach number 1. Glad she calmed down. I was afraid she was going to crumble and lose after the 2nd set. Also way to not quit Kvitova. Hard fought match.

Question though when Osaka was serving there was an out call. Osaka asked something and the umpire said it was close. Is that common for the umpire to let them know if it was close or not? The ump also said it's your last challenge and the announcers were surprised that she let her know.
I don't know why the announcers were surprised, this stuff happens all the time. Despite the fact that the player has the discretion to use one of his/her standard three challenges per set, players seem to expect umpires to "help out" on some points, and all the umpires that I have seen are willing to do it. I don't like it at all--the players have the right to challenge, so the umpire should just allow them to do so--but it would take an explicit rule change to alter this behaviour I'm afraid.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Again tonight, the final match looks like another toss up as Nole's performance against Pouille was very reassuring. Rooting for Rafa; betting on Nole.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Novak in 5. Don't have a big rooting interest, I'm just hoping for another epic from these tennis titans.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad