Tennis: Australian Open 2019

Novak Djokovic

#24 and counting... #GOAT
Dec 10, 2006
Yeah, I don't see how anyone can argue Sampras > Djokovic. Nole has a much more complete game than Pete, more GS, better ATP tournament performance, etc.

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
Nole closer to being the GOAT than being behind Sampras imo.

With Fed on the downswing, and no young guns stepping up, I think there is a legit chance Nole ends up leader in career Grand Slams, if he can stay healthy. Obviously that's a big if at his age. I'd give it more of a 40-50% chance, I know @kihei said 10-20 but I feel with the lack of young elite talent pushing for slams, and Fed + Murray on their way out (imo), Nole could go on a pretty big run if he stays healthy.

What an absolute masterclass of tennis against Rafa who hadn't lost a set all tournament. They are both still so much better than everyone else on tour.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
I'm hoping the guys in their 20s will step it up. The guys ahead of them are pretty much done.

Troubadour

Feb 23, 2018
Rafa in the end found his consolation prize:

51124178_1997215660397086_7683150705279893504_n.jpg

Reactions: kihei

Troubadour

Feb 23, 2018
I've never seen Nadal getting demolished this way EVER. Clinical performance from Nole, scary to say but he was in total control, like he was two levels above Rafa. I'm ecstatic!

noleusodance.gif

Further cemented his status as top 3 tennis player ever. Sorry Sampras.

Maybe you haven't, but it did happen to peak Nadal too:

I have never seen him handled like this in a GS final, except for maybe the first set against Federer at Wimbledon 2006.

In SF at US Open 2009, Del Potro walloped him pretty good though

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Maybe you haven't, but it did happen to peak Nadal too:

I have never seen him handled like this in a GS final, except for maybe the first set against Federer at Wimbledon 2006.

In SF at US Open 2009, Del Potro walloped him pretty good though
Roger over Rafa at Indian Wells (2 and 3, 2017) was pretty definitive, too. But I thought at one point at the start of the third set when Nole played a couple of drop shot/lob combos that Djokovic was almost toying with Rafa or at least displaying a kind of super-confidence one never sees against Nadal.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I often watch replay collections with the sound on, and I couldn't help but notice how appreciative the crowd was of both players efforts in a way that seemed almost neutral. I couldn't help contrast that with how the crowd reacts when Federer is getting clobbered where about 80% of the crowd go way out of their way to bring his spirits up and if that doesn't work, some people look like their puppy is dying right in front of them. Whatever they do next, I doubt either Rafa or Nole will ever experience that kind of gratitude and admiration.

Troubadour

Feb 23, 2018
Roger over Rafa at Indian Wells (2 and 3, 2017) was pretty definitive, too. But I thought at one point at the start of the third set when Nole played a couple of drop shot/lob combos that Djokovic was almost toying with Rafa or at least displaying a kind of super-confidence one never sees against Nadal.

Novak was in total control of the match, and it definitely seemed to me he toyed with Nadal a good deal, perhaps to appear more human.

On the other hand, I felt the crowd was on Nadal's side all along. With Federer, it probably has a lot to do with the fact people perceive him as a bit of tennis deity by now and always want to see him win another title to witness a historical moment. Everyone knows he is on the home straight of his career.

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
I often watch replay collections with the sound on, and I couldn't help but notice how appreciative the crowd was of both players efforts in a way that seemed almost neutral. I couldn't help contrast that with how the crowd reacts when Federer is getting clobbered where about 80% of the crowd go way out of their way to bring his spirits up and if that doesn't work, some people look like their puppy is dying right in front of them. Whatever they do next, I doubt either Rafa or Nole will ever experience that kind of gratitude and admiration.

Well the two major differences between Fed and Rafa/Nole is that 1) Roger is primarily an offensive player, and in any sport where both offense and defense exist offense is more enjoyable to watch to the casual fan, and 2) Roger arrived on the scene first and took fans' hearts when there is a big void in tennis (with Agassi on his last hurrah).

Roger and Rafa are also different from Nole in that both of them play the game on a different dimension of sorts and have the kinds of that's-not-possible shot-making that tennis fans have never seen before, whereas Novak just plays a somewhat conventional game and makes somewhat conventional shots better than anyone else.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad