Tennis: Australian Open 2019

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Here's Roger's post-match interview after losing to Tsitsipas. I post it only because it so classy.

That's a guy with his head on straight.

Reactions: Beau Knows

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Raonic is into the quarters. Nice to see him on this run. Be interesting to see how far he ends up going.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
This is the most interesting major in awhile. Lots of surprises in the semi's on the men's side.

Still not high on Tiafoe, think Fritz will be the better player.

I’m not convinced any of the Americans are top 10 level players. None have performed to what they were hyped as.

At least Tiafoe is performing here. He’s been very clutch in the big points in recent matches. He was really good against Dimitrov two days ago. It would’ve been straight sets if not for cramping he had late in the third set. I’d be shocked if he takes more than a set off Nadal though. Too tough of an opponent.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Bautista Agut, who is off to a great start in 2019, versus Tsitsipas could be a beauty. Hoping Tsitsipas doesn't have an emotional letdown after his win over Roger, but wouldn't blame him too much if he did, given his youth and relative experience.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
I’m not convinced any of the Americans are top 10 level players. None have performed to what they were hyped as.

At least Tiafoe is performing here. He’s been very clutch in the big points in recent matches. He was really good against Dimitrov two days ago. It would’ve been straight sets if not for cramping he had late in the third set. I’d be shocked if he takes more than a set off Nadal though. Too tough of an opponent.

I don't disagree with you and crap I meant quarters. But there will be surprises in the semis now.

Dimitrov was so hyped up to be like the next Fed. No idea what's up with his career direction.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Bautista Agut, who is off to a great start in 2019, versus Tsitsipas could be a beauty. Hoping Tsitsipas doesn't have an emotional letdown after his win over Roger, but wouldn't blame him too much if he did, given his youth and relative experience.

The GREEK FREAK is a tennis player, not basketball player. This guy is my pick for next big thing in Tennis.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Woke up to see the Medvedev/Djokovic match ending, too bad Medvedev didn't win but it will be interesting to see if Djokovic is injured. He didn't look great in the last couple of games.

What happened to Djoker?

He is playing Nishikori who somehow won in 5 sets last night. Should beat him healthiest or not in no worse than 4

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Huge first set win for Stefanos as he comes back from 2-love down to take the first set 7-5

Second set: RBA gets the early break and this time holds on, 6-4. Typical set for Roberto: set a very high but not crazy high standard of smart, neat and tidy tennis and let your opponent try to match it or better it. Or not.

Third set: Replay of first set for poor Roberto, only worse. Can't serve the set out and gets broken again for good measure. A little surprising as Stefanos looked a bit gassed in the latter stages of that set.

Fourth set: After a hard fought, back and forth set, Tsitsipas dominates the tie breaker for the match.

Stefanos makes the semis. Might not be done yet, either.

Last edited:

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
Tsitsipas continues his run. He's now the first member of the next-gen to make a GS semi-final. Greek freak indeed!

(he just mentioned Giannis in the interview as well lol)

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Have to feel a little for Bautista Agut. That match was utterly turned by two points in the tenth game of the third set that Roberto didn't win. Had he won them, he likely would have been the winner tonight.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Not only is Tsitsipas great on the court but what a personality this kid has, such a pleasure to listen to and a breath of fresh air compared to the usual robotic personalities in sports nowadays. The future and perhaps present of tennis on and off the court. It also helps that he's Greek with me being half Greek and all. :)

I do think his run ends against Nadal but this is just the beginning for him and he's way ahead of schedule.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
Nadal has not spent a lot of time on court, that will be huge if he ends up facing Djokovic.

The big 4 is finally started to breakdown though, Murray may be done and Federer seems to be declining pretty quickly now. Maybe the young players nab a couple slams this year if Novak and Rafa can't win 'em all.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Managed to stay up until 2-love Rafa in the second set before falling asleep. Nadal looks ready to win the tournament; certainly Tiafoe was in way over his head last night.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Rafa must be thrilled at the amount of time he's spent on court. This is exactly what he needed.

Maestro84

May 3, 2018
Toronto
I’d love for Rafa to win this thing next weekend. He’s suffered from soooo many brutal moments at this tourney over the years whether it’d be health problems or losing the grip on a title he seemed to be on the path of winning. If Stefanos makes his big break that would also be great for tennis as it’s been well over a decade since someone his age has done it this big at a slam.

Reactions: kihei

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Hideous match ups tonight:

Nole is 15-2 overall over Kei and has won the last 13 matches in a row between the two.

Milos is 3-0 over Pouille and has never lost a set against Lucas.

Would love to see Rafa win this Championship, but if he doesn't, Tsitsipas would be my next choice.

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
Agreed with Kihei. Tonight the more entertaining matches should be on the women's side with both Serena and Osaka in action against comparable opposition

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Pouille might play well.

Tiafoe just does nothing for me. How did he get that far? He's awful at the net. His serve is nothing special. I know his opponent was Nadal and I wasn't expecting a close match but that doesn't mean I don't want one.

Reactions: MsMeow

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
If you had to pick a ranked player for the quarterfinals in the "Milos can't possibly f*** this up" category, it might very well be Pouille--at the risk of putting a hex on Raonic, I would say this match is virtually a lock for him to win (and remember I have only been wrong roughly 97% of the time with my sports predictions).

Reactions: JetsWillFly4Ever

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Osaka takes the first set against Svitolina. Five holds to start the match and then five breaks... womens tennis...

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Pliskova takes the first set from Serena. But this is a flamingo/lion match up, and I'm still taking the lion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad