Auston Matthews

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
A lot less soft stick checking from him tonight. In good position on the right side of the players in the D zone all night; and nice to see him get rewarded on the offensive side.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
Why are you guys wasting time talking about his 4 goals in 5 games when you could be throwing a tantrum about his contact? Waffleboy will be disappointed.

Paid 11.64M to play against inferior competition.

Matthews against Bergeron game 5: 5:07 TOI, 1 GF, 0 GA, 88.9 CF%, 80 SF%, 80 SCF%, 76 xGF%

Tavares against Bergeron game 5: 6:48 TOI, 0 GF, 0 GA, 45.5 CF%, 60 SF%, 50 SCF%, 52.4 xGF%

SoVi3t

Sep 16, 2009
He's had a bunch overturned this season I don't blame him.

I know, but that level of sarcasm you just don't see in hockey interviews that often. I think he is finally coming out of his shell and establishing himself.

93WrapAround

Jul 4, 2018
I know, but that level of sarcasm you just don't see in hockey interviews that often. I think he is finally coming out of his shell and establishing himself.

Oh I didn't even see the interview you're referring to, I thought you meant his actions on the bench while they were challenging it/announcing the decision. Any further colour on what he said?

SoVi3t

Sep 16, 2009
Oh I didn't even see the interview you're referring to, I thought you meant his actions on the bench while they were challenging it/announcing the decision. Any further colour on what he said?

They mentioned how many goals the league calls back on him, and how he felt about that one going his way tonight and he just gets this look on his face and stares right at the interviewer and says something along the lines of "Well you're absolutely right about that". It was the combination of his frustrated sarcasm, combined with his actual quote, that just floored me :D

I am trying to find video.

EDIT: watch the interview here

Maple Leafs get breakthrough vs. Bruins in series too close to call - Sportsnet.ca

BlueStorm

Aug 14, 2010
Halifax
Hopefully he stays healthy and doesn't disappear for long stretches like we've seen. So far game 3 and 5 have seen Matthews making an impact on the scoreboard. I think Chara and his obsessive cross checking to the kidneys cost the Bruins that goal tonight. He's too concerned about cross checking Hymen in the back that he doesn't cover the cross ice pass to Matthews or try to block the shot. His cross check, never called, sets off Hymen bumping into the other Bruin then backing into Rask.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Ennis on Matthews:

Ennis has mostly been struck by the maturity of his 21-year-old teammate. How Matthews seems to embrace, and even absorb, the spotlight, pressure and expectations that come with being a star in Toronto. How he doesn’t shy away from any of it.

“He just wants it — he wants to be great,” the 29-year-old Ennis said a short while after Matthews helped deliver the Leafs a 2-1 Game 5 win in Boston. “He wants to be the best he can be and he works on it every single day. He loves hockey. He loves scoring. He’s always thinking about different ways to score. That’s why he’s so successful as a person, it’s because he wants it so bad.”

HomerJLeafs

i just hope we make the POs
Dec 27, 2017
I was critical of his play. i liked the defence but i knew he had more in him.
Glad he is turned on the beast mode. Come on c!!!

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018
Thats the matthews I want to see!

If he can auston can stay hot there's not telling how far we can go!

What a goal though, the pass was tipped and he still smashed it home.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad