Auston Matthews vs Patrik Laine - Round VI (MOD WARNING: BEHAVE!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeafsLegendAkiBerg

The original great 8
Oct 12, 2006
I think they have pretty much made up their mind about Matthews. Matthews said on TSN interview that there has been some communication between the leafs organisation and him. He also said that it's "getting to know you" kind of thing. If this is accurate why would they they do it unless they are sure about their pick. I mean there will be interviews anyway + I think he also said he even spoke to Babcock. So that's that.

What makes you think they haven't spoken to Laine as well?

SampoHoitaa

Jan 7, 2013
What makes you think they haven't spoken to Laine as well?

They might have. And there's obviously no way to know for sure but it was the way Matthews spoke about it. To me it sounded like a done deal. Go check the interview. It's on Tsn.ca

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I think they have pretty much made up their mind about Matthews. Matthews said on TSN interview that there has been some communication between the leafs organisation and him. He also said that it's "getting to know you" kind of thing. If this is accurate why would they they do it unless they are sure about their pick. I mean there will be interviews anyway + I think he also said he even spoke to Babcock. So that's that.

This is the norm for a team picking #1, it does not mean they have made up their minds. I am sure the Leafs will meet with Laine and perhaps even others at some point.

SCP Guy

Jun 21, 2011
The Peg
Leafs will take Mathews and run
Jets will take Laine and run
We will find out who is better in 3-5 years.... Thread closed :D

goblin3

Mar 23, 2014
Matthews linemates have something to do with his point production, as in, he doesn't have any. Vatrano, Schroeder, Hinostroza and Maroon just can't keep up.

Linemates have a big role, ofcourse, but Laine has over double the P/60 Matthews has. Playing on the wrong wing.
The difference in scoring will probably get closer, but if it keeps up Laine dominates Matthews on the scoreboard. AINEC.

Opado

Jan 27, 2013
I don't think I need to post past NHL stars production in the Swiss league. Matthews is right in the mix with them

Yup. Some players that could not play in the nhl eanymore produced in Swiss league. :laugh: So can Matthews even play in nhl then?:sarcasm:

JA

Matthews linemates have something to do with his point production, as in, he doesn't have any. Vatrano, Schroeder, Hinostroza and Maroon just can't keep up.
Maroon seemed to keep up well enough with the Oilers and Ducks. In fact, he looked like the best Oiler down the stretch last season. Jordan Schroeder, meanwhile, is an undersized but skillful player who just couldn't find his game in the NHL but has plenty of space on the international surface. Lately, it's been Vatrano and Schroeder with Matthews; I don't know enough about Vatrano, but Maroon and Schroeder aren't nobodies. That's decent talent.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
He said he spoke to Mark Hunter and Lou. He's spoken to Babcock in the past, which was because Tony Granato's (Babcock's assistant in Detroit) brother Dom, coached the USNDP cohort Matthews was in, and he would bring Matthews and Matthew Tkachuk to the Joe with him occasionally (USNDP is based in Ann-Arbour). So they have met way before anything to do with the Leafs. Considering Lou and Mark Hunter were there, I wouldn't be surprised if they also talked to Laine.

My feeling is they are 99.9% sure they are going Matthews. Just way too hard to find a franchise center if you don't draft one. Matthews slots everyone into roles they should be successful at, Laine requires the roster be adjusted somewhat and puts more pressure on Nylander or Marner to become an elite-centreman. Its much easier to find a winger to compliment a Matthews-Marner line, than it is to find a center for a Laine-xxxxx-Marner line. Not saying Nylander can't do it, but I personally see his best role as leading a 2nd unit that is used in mostly offensive situations, similar to how the Sedin line was used when Kesler anchored the 2nd unit or how the Kane-Panarin line is used right now.

goblin3

Mar 23, 2014
I don't think I need to post past NHL stars production in the Swiss league. Matthews is right in the mix with them

Well you're the one who started talking about **** teams. Laine is right in the mix with current NHL stars in production in this tournament. :popcorn:

LeafsLegendAkiBerg

The original great 8
Oct 12, 2006
They might have. And there's obviously no way to know for sure but it was the way Matthews spoke about it. To me it sounded like a done deal. Go check the interview. It's on Tsn.ca

I've seen the interview and I disagree that it seemed like a "done deal." I think Matthews was just answering the questions asked of him. I really wouldn't be shocked if the Leafs reached out to Laine as well. They probably want some insight into who they are as people and how they feel about the Leafs as an organization and the direction the management wants to go in.

NarcoPolo

Jul 16, 2012
Yup. Some players that could not play in the nhl eanymore produced in Swiss league. :laugh: So can Matthews even play in nhl then?:sarcasm:
Yup. Some players that could not play in the nhl anymore produced in Finnish league. :laugh: So can Laine even play in nhl then?:sarcasm:

SampoHoitaa

Jan 7, 2013
He said he spoke to Mark Hunter and Lou. He's spoken to Babcock in the past, which was because Tony Granato's (Babcock's assistant in Detroit) brother Dom, coached the USNDP cohort Matthews was in, and he would bring Matthews and Matthew Tkachuk to the Joe with him occasionally (USNDP is based in Ann-Arbour). So they have met way before anything to do with the Leafs.

Thank you for these facts, I didn't realize it had nothing to do with leafs. I kinda had the idea that they met in this tournament.

agent082

Feb 11, 2012

This. You can't expect 18 year old to carry his linemates. I think it takes atleast 2 to 3 years to him do that in NHL. Or maybe Stamkos and developed Marner will be his linemates, so he don't have to carry anyone. :nod:

Opado

Jan 27, 2013
Yup. Some players that could not play in the nhl anymore produced in Finnish league. :laugh: So can Laine even play in nhl then?:sarcasm:

I really cant think of eany former nhl player except Keith Aulie, who did not produce eanything, in liiga. Usually player goes from liiga to nhl, not other way around. In Swiss league is known from players that just comes for the money and cooling down the ending career.:laugh:

NarcoPolo

Jul 16, 2012
Well you're the one who started talking about **** teams. Laine is right in the mix with current NHL stars in production in this tournament. :popcorn:

I was replying to a poster saying because Laines production in the tournament was better than Matthews he wasn't sure why people were able to deduce, based on the tournament, that Matthews was a better player.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Thank you for these facts, I didn't realize it had nothing to do with leafs. I kinda had the idea that they met in this tournament.

My understanding is that lou and hunter met and spoke to him this tourney. If memory serves, he said at the lotto that he didnt know lou. I think he spoke to babcock at the joe. So 2 new 1 old.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
He said he spoke to Mark Hunter and Lou. He's spoken to Babcock in the past, which was because Tony Granato's (Babcock's assistant in Detroit) brother Dom, coached the USNDP cohort Matthews was in, and he would bring Matthews and Matthew Tkachuk to the Joe with him occasionally (USNDP is based in Ann-Arbour). So they have met way before anything to do with the Leafs. Considering Lou and Mark Hunter were there, I wouldn't be surprised if they also talked to Laine.

My feeling is they are 99.9% sure they are going Matthews. Just way too hard to find a franchise center if you don't draft one. Matthews slots everyone into roles they should be successful at, Laine requires the roster be adjusted somewhat and puts more pressure on Nylander or Marner to become an elite-centreman. Its much easier to find a winger to compliment a Matthews-Marner line, than it is to find a center for a Laine-xxxxx-Marner line. Not saying Nylander can't do it, but I personally see his best role as leading a 2nd unit that is used in mostly offensive situations, similar to how the Sedin line was used when Kesler anchored the 2nd unit or how the Kane-Panarin line is used right now.

I don't want to make this into a Leafs draft thread. But I would be remiss to not mention The Leafs are heavy on European Scouting. The Director is Ari Vuori. Supported by long tine scout Bergman and Ladygin + others. From reliable sources Laine is preferred by majority of Euro scouts.

If this was an older regime, I could agree Leafs are picking Matthews as you say 99.99% leaving that small out incase they do pick Laine.

But as I mentioned, since Shanahan has took over. This is an organization that has prided themselves of not conventional thinking. They want to outsmart other NHL organizations by evaluations that go beyond the norm.

Now saying this, I would be absolutely not surprised if they pick Matthews. This is the predictable thing to do. But this Management team under Shanahan is anything but predictable.

They are strong on European scouts, they have shown an affinity of signing Euros, and Hunter is a guy big on skill and scoring. It may be 51-49 for me. As opposed to your 99.99% leaving a slight out Leafs pick Laine. I am not so sure. All I know is both are great prospects and it can go either way. This would not surprise me.

Booster*

Jan 10, 2016
This tread is pure quality!

Matthews goes first AINEC

Laine will be the bigger star LAINEC

Matthews will have a better ppg in reg season vs playoffs, Laine the other way around.

Everyone happy?

NarcoPolo

Jul 16, 2012

I really cant think of eany former nhl player except Keith Aulie, who did not produce eanything, in liiga. Usually player goes from liiga to nhl, not other way around. In Swiss league is known from players that just comes for the money and cooling down the ending career.:laugh:
It took me all of 20 seconds to pull up the league leaders in points in the Finnish league this year to find a guy drafted by Dallas who wasn't able to play in the NHL with regularity at the top. He was the 2nd leading point scorer in the entire league....:nod:

Last edited:

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
I don't want to make this into a Leafs draft thread. But I would be remiss to not mention The Leafs are heavy on European Scouting. The Director is Ari Vuori. Supported by long tine scout Bergman and Ladygin + others. From reliable sources Laine is preferred by majority of Euro scouts.

If this was an older regime, I could agree Leafs are picking Matthews as you say 99.99% leaving that small out incase they do pick Laine.

But as I mentioned, since Shanahan has took over. This is an organization that has prided themselves of not conventional thinking. They want to outsmart other NHL organizations by evaluations that go beyond the norm.

Now saying this, I would be absolutely not surprised if they pick Matthews. This is the predictable thing to do. But this Management team under Shanahan is anything but predictable.

They are strong on European scouts, they have shown an affinity of signing Euros, and Hunter is a guy big on skill and scoring. It may be 51-49 for me. As opposed to your 99.99% leaving a slight out Leafs pick Laine. I am not so sure. All I know is both are great prospects and it can go either way. This would not surprise me.

Mind linking that again?

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008

It may not be a majority, but it does not mean it is not either. A Number of European scouts. Meaning more than one. Probably a lot more than one.

Thank you, I knew that he never said majority like you proclaimed. Had to make sure I remembered correctly.

Probably a lot more than one, hey maybe two!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad