Auston Matthews vs Patrik Laine - Round VI (MOD WARNING: BEHAVE!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Thought Laine didn't skate like the wind, isn't his skating where he can improve the most?

He doesn't. Which is why the Ovechkin comparison is ridiculous. Best comparison for Laine IMO is Dany Heatley. He has some great years in his prime but was never going to be the best skater on your team. Can't compare him to Kovalchuk either because that guy truly skated like the wind.

armyjoe

Nov 15, 2010
It's not like Matthews hasn't scored this tournament. He's still a ppg with 5 points in 5 games. It's hard not to see Laine's team when talking about them because there's just that much more depth and experience to insulate Laine. They're putting Laine into the best position to succeed imo.

:laugh: By putting him in the wrong wing?

Mahonkinen

Sep 18, 2013
That argument just goes against you. Is Laine better than McDavid? 9 points vs. 5 points. All everyone here is doing is talking about points. No real scouting going on here. If that were the case, nearly everyone would acknowledge that Matthews has a lot more in his toolkit than Laine.

While we're at it, who was better head to head? Matthews.

If everyone here would watch games from both sides then everyone would know that both have done exceptionally good in this tournament. Either one of them hasnt stand out compared to each other. Only difference really is the points at the moment, but this will change (hopefully) when the real games begins.

Alexandrov

Dec 5, 2011
He doesn't. Which is why the Ovechkin comparison is ridiculous. Best comparison for Laine IMO is Dany Heatley. He has some great years in his prime but was never going to be the best skater on your team. Can't compare him to Kovalchuk either because that guy truly skated like the wind.

50in17 huh? I can live with that.

Joe MacMillan

Aug 10, 2005
Helsinki
Even if Laine had a good skating his game lacks the drive Ovechkin has. Ovechkin plays an energy-filled power game while Laine's game is much slower paced. The only similarity to OV is the shot.

If Puljujärvi hit everything that moves his game would be much closer to OV's than Laine's.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
6'4", silky hands, amazing vision, best shot we've seen in years, skates like the wind, but the toolbox doesn't compare. :laugh:

The main difference between the two guys is that one plays the more important position. Matthews is the better fit for Babcock for the bigger need Toronto has with his two way game.

As for who puts up more points in the NHL, that is totally up for grabs imo. I'd take Matthews too, but that doesn't mean Laine isn't going to be stupid good himself.

goblin3

Mar 23, 2014
Thought Laine didn't skate like the wind, isn't his skating where he can improve the most?

Not like the wind but it's not as bad as people seem to think.
I don't know if people outside Finland can see the video but they had a skating competition before WJC: http://yle.fi/urheilu/3-8530270
In the finals Laine went against Puljujärvi and it was pretty close. His skating style makes him look slower than he actually is.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg

Heatley is probably a very good comparable. Not a fast skater, but man could he put the puck in the net.

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
A little disappointed in Matthews so far. I thought this was the place where he would put the hammer down and show that he's the best player in this draft but Laine is outplaying him so far in a second tournament in a row where they both have played. Well the tournament is still young though. Maybe i have too big expectations of Matthews because of the hype.

Joe MacMillan

Aug 10, 2005
Helsinki
A little disappointed in Matthews so far. I thought this was the place where he would put the hammer down and show that he's the best player in this draft but Laine is outplaying him so far in a second tournament in a row where they both have played. Well the tournament is still young though. Maybe i have too big expectations of Matthews because of the hype.

Don't kid yourself. You of all people haven't had "too big expectations" of Matthews. You've been down on him all year.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
The one knock is that his first step isn't super explosive. When he hits his stride, his skating is as good as anyone.

I would say this is accurate. But it can be easily addressed with a NHL power skating coach. Not something I am concerned with. He does have very good top end speed, we have seen this. He has also surprised me with good side to side movement. Again we would see this more if he played on his normal Left Wing. Something I do not believe is being brought up enough here. We are seeing a kid that has put up 9 points in 5 games, essentially with one leg tied up. He would probably be even more impressive if he was on his normal wing the entire tournament.

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
Don't kid yourself. You of all people haven't had "too big expectations" of Matthews. You've been down on him all year.

You are mistaking me for someone else as i have had Matthews as the 1st overall all year... In fact it's the other player on this topic that i haven't been very keen on.

GhostisLife

Feb 21, 2016

Do you equate outplaying with outproducing? Because if so then yes, Laine has outplayed almost everyone in the tournament. If not then Matthews has looked better throughout, and even head to head. Were you watching?

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
I would say this is accurate. But it can be easily addressed with a NHL power skating coach. Not something I am concerned with. He does have very good top end speed, we have seen this. He has also surprised me with good side to side movement. Again we would see this more if he played on his normal Left Wing. Something I do not believe is being brought up enough here. We are seeing a kid that has put up 9 points in 5 games, essentially with one leg tied up. He would probably be even more impressive if he was on his normal wing the entire tournament.

It doesn't get mentioned, but Matthews doesn't have a great first step either, and I think their edge work is pretty on par with each other. People love to knock Laine for his skating, but their isn't much difference between the two for me. If anything, Laine might have slightly better top gear.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
By putting him with experienced NHLers and it's been working so far.

Then again, that's who's he going to be playing with. He's not only keeping up with them but also outproducing is I believe a better show for the draft purposes than it would be with him shining on a line of lesser peers. ( I'd hate to say Tappara now ;))

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
It doesn't get mentioned, but Matthews doesn't have a great first step either, and I think their edge work is pretty on par with each other. People love to knock Laine for his skating, but their isn't much difference between the two for me. If anything, Laine might have slightly better top gear.

Agree again. I don't think there is a significant edge in either player's skating. I will say this, both have good enough skating to be an impact NHL player. Not a worry for either.

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
Do you equate outplaying with outproducing? Because if so then yes, Laine has outplayed almost everyone in the tournament. If not then Matthews has looked better throughout, and even head to head. Were you watching?

Points are definitely the biggest part of it. Then comes the intangibles and so forth.

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016

you are entitled to your opinion but I think there is a clear gap between the 2. I am looking at how the project in the NHL not on big ice. From what I see from their games its clear to me that Matthews is way better suited for the NHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad