Auston Matthews vs Patrik Laine - Round VI (MOD WARNING: BEHAVE!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

buttman*

laine is the better player but Leafs have to go with Matthews.

Laine is the better goal scorer. Better shot, better one on one. Matthews is better down low, along the boards, in front of the net and a better playmaker. Either could turn out to be the best player. I would take Matthews -- he's more complete right now. Laine does have more upside though.

Winnipeg Jets

Lucky #7
Feb 19, 2010
Winnipeg
Matthews >>> Laine AINEC

Ray Ferraro sounds like he thinks Pulju >=Laine

How many Youtube videos did you watch to get to that conclusion? :laugh:

I would probably take Matthews as well, he seems to be the safer player but I don't think the gap between the two is that big.

Matthews is a quick skater, he already has a polished defensive game as well. If Laine can work on achieving a quicker first step as well as working on his defensive game I could see him being the better player. The nice thing is that skating and defence can be taught, Laine's offensive instincts are on another level and that's something that he was born with.

Alexandrov

Dec 5, 2011
- Laineeee numba one!
- **** youuuuu, Matthews numba one! Laine numba four, maybe.

janesy12

Leafs Nation
Aug 27, 2010
Newfoundland
Just media trying to drive up the debate and make the weeks leading up to the draft more interesting. It makes for better build up and TV if the #1 overall pick isn't a foregone conclusion. The problem here, is it is. Matthews is the consensus #1 and has been for over a year. Most of the hockey world agrees. Even if they were identical in every way skill wise, you still take the elite centre.

Captain Timo

Dec 4, 2015
Okay so I posted this in the last round, but it was like 4 or 5 posts before this one was opened so I'm assuming not many have seen it..

I think Ray Ferraro just said something very, very worthwhile.

In a discussion with Gord Miller, the discussion of the top 3 arose. Ferraro said that the top 3 is pretty much solidified, and that it was the order that Matthews/Laine/Puljujarvi would go in the draft that was up for question.

Went on to say that he would take Matthews first, and he isn't sure about who he'd take second. He said that it would be really difficult to pass on the goal scoring ability of Laine, but also said he wonders about Laine's ability to transition. He noted that as we've seen in the NHL playoffs right now, time and space is so minimal, and that a lot of the stuff Laine likes to do won't be an option for him in the NHL, specifically the playoffs. He'll have to adapt, and the question is how well he can adapt to having less space. Using such argument, Ferraro said that there is no doubt that Puljujarvi can play his game at a fast pace, so he carries an advantage over Laine in that regard.

Thought this analogy was very interesting, considering I agreed on basically all of it.

Captain Timo

Dec 4, 2015
Nice pass by Laine on the PP to get an assist. Unfortunately this will not help the cause as he continues to struggle to get ES points.. brace yourselves!

Brewsky

King Of The Ice Mugs
Jan 26, 2011
King County
www.brewsky.com
Okay so I posted this in the last round, but it was like 4 or 5 posts before this one was opened so I'm assuming not many have seen it..

I think Ray Ferraro just said something very, very worthwhile.

In a discussion with Gord Miller, the discussion of the top 3 arose. Ferraro said that the top 3 is pretty much solidified, and that it was the order that Matthews/Laine/Puljujarvi would go in the draft that was up for question.

Went on to say that he would take Matthews first, and he isn't sure about who he'd take second. He said that it would be really difficult to pass on the goal scoring ability of Laine, but also said he wonders about Laine's ability to transition. He noted that as we've seen in the NHL playoffs right now, time and space is so minimal, and that a lot of the stuff Laine likes to do won't be an option for him in the NHL, specifically the playoffs. He'll have to adapt, and the question is how well he can adapt to having less space. Using such argument, Ferraro said that there is no doubt that Puljujarvi can play his game at a fast pace, so he carries an advantage over Laine in that regard.

Thought this analogy was very interesting, considering I agreed on basically all of it.

Very true and agree with his assessment, especially when you put it in the playoffs text where there's such little room. I still think the order will be Matthews, Laine, Puljujarvi, where the BPA is Matthews and then Laine and Puljujarvi are tied.

Ciccarelli

Uncle Gelart
Dec 17, 2005
Nice pass by Laine on the PP to get an assist. Unfortunately this will not help the cause as he continues to struggle to get ES points.. brace yourselves!

Laine has been absolutely brutal in this game but i dont get the ES/ PP points talk i mean how is a pp goal less significant than an es goal? Both are worth the same on the scoreboard.

NiL8r87

Jun 30, 2009
Laine has been absolutely brutal in this game but i dont get the ES/ PP points talk i mean how is a pp goal less significant than an es goal? Both are worth the same on the scoreboard.

I didn't think he was that bad. He had what 6 or 7 shots on goal? Had a couple really nice shifts.

Territory

Jan 31, 2014
Toronto

Most of the game is played at even strength. Being good in that regard is more valueable because you spend more time at even strength then on special teams.

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto

Yup, but it comes back to the point that Laine is best when there's a bit of extra space and time in a situation like a PP. Of course you would hope your best players are effective like that on the PP, but there are still some questions regarding Laine's ES play, which only really boils down to his skating.

Ferraro pointed out the same in the game as well (as bo27 mentioned).

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
Very true and agree with his assessment, especially when you put it in the playoffs text where there's such little room. I still think the order will be Matthews, Laine, Puljujarvi, where the BPA is Matthews and then Laine and Puljujarvi are tied.

I didn't see the game, but I can't believe playing on a line with Barkov, he only got one assist vs Hungary. Didn't France beat them like 6-2? I was expecting Finland vs Hungary to be a gongshow, and Laine have a hat-trick and a couple of helpers the way people are hyping him and the quality of opponent. How did he play in general aside from points?

It will be interesting to see how Matthews makes out against the Hungarians and the Germans when he plays them, and how Laine fairs against Canada. As mentioned in a post earlier, he seems to be struggling to produce ES.

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario

I think people just want to see if Laine can contribute 5 on 5. We all know how talented he is and how he can do whatever he wants in open space. But when things get tighter, what happens? It will be even more of an issue on the smaller ice and in the NHL game.

kunekune

Feb 17, 2016
I didn't see the game, but I can't believe playing on a line with Barkov, he only got one assist vs Hungary. Didn't France beat them like 6-2? I was expecting Finland vs Hungary to be a gongshow, and Laine have a hat-trick and a couple of helpers the way people are hyping him and the quality of opponent. How did he play in general aside from points?

It will be interesting to see how Matthews makes out against the Hungarians and the Germans when he plays them, and how Laine fairs against Canada. As mentioned in a post earlier, he seems to be struggling to produce ES.

In my opinion was best finnish player on ice. In general mind he was atleast top-3. Had more scoring opportunities than he had in all games before this. Dangerous especially in ES, didn't get much puck in PP.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Matthews >>> Laine AINEC

Ray Ferraro sounds like he thinks Pulju >=Laine

Why do these?
Ray also needs to start following Liiga more and learn Laine was the driver on Tappara.

Laine was brutal?
The guy who had the most scoring chances for us, draw 2 penalties was brutal, damm these demands are getting out of hand, if there's not a 3 point night they are brutal.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I think people just want to see if Laine can contribute 5 on 5. We all know how talented he is and how he can do whatever he wants in open space. But when things get tighter, what happens? It will be even more of an issue on the smaller ice and in the NHL game.

Exactly. He has a lot more time and space to get his big shot off on wider ice and pp. there are less powerplays in playoffs. He is more predictable.

Like even gord miller calls it. "Laine is going to wait at the top of the circle to shoot" or fire a pass across the lane for a one timer.

I didnt even see the game but i bet i can describe his assist
Thats pretty worrisome

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad