Auston Matthews Proving Me Wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
How anyone can claim Mathews isnt on the highest possible tier in this league is beyond me. Seriously, they are blinded by hate or jealousy and there is no two ways about it. Just try and make a coherent argument for it. McDavid is the pinnacle right now, and from what ive seen and how he is still improving Mathews is right behind him and closing the gap quickly.

Let me see if I remember well:

• Two years ago, AM had 4 goals in 1 game. There were 20 threads on the main boards about how he is better than McDavid. Then, things slowed down a bit.
  • Last year, AM was hot in October. 8 points in the first 5 games, and again 20 threads on the main boards on how he is going to win every award and how he is better than McDavid... Then, things really died...
  • This year, 5 games into the season and guess what....
Who knows, maybe 3rd time is a charm. But it is likely that few games into the next season we will go again through this...

At the end of the day, 5 games sample is a bit small, there were much weaker players who had better performances over 4-5 games. If AM can truly produce at a generational level for a full season, most fans will agree that comparisons with McDavid are fair. But after 5 games people comparing him to Lemieux and talking about 50 in 50 is a bit premature, isn't it?

Reactions: Tage2Tuch

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
okay sure

just off the top of my head in no particular order:

McDavid
Crosby
Malkin
Ovechkin
Kane
Kuznetsov
Marchand
Kopitar
Kucherov
Giroux
Gaudreau
MacKinnon
Tavares
Getzlaf
Eichel
Barkov
Karlsson
Doughty
Hedman
Bobrovsky
Gibson

there's 21 names without even putting much thought into it that I would take over Matthews no questions asked for at least the next couple years(after that it gets less certain since some of them are in their 30s)

then there's a whole bunch where i'd put it as a tossup like Panarin,Benn,Seguin,Hall,Barzal,Wheeler,Scheifele,Draisaitl,Jones,Burns etc etc

honestly ~20th is probably overly generous if anything,there's a lot of good players in the league
Some of the players you're mentioning are a joke. Benn? Draisaitl?

Draisaitl is pure trash compared to Matthews.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010

the fact that you think putting a guy that since the most recent lockout won an Art Ross and had another year where he finished second in the league in points on the same tier as Matthews is "a joke" says a lot

Reactions: Literally

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Last year, on this day, Ovechkin had 8 goals in 4 games. A higher pace than Matthews' right now.

Just Rude

"I'm listening to the *** song!!!"
Oct 15, 2005
True, Edmonton has the best player in the world, but no way in hell do I trade teams with them, even with McDavid.
I meant McJesus for Matthews, straight up. Unless I am missing something in your post.

Not a chance in hell I trade the Leafs for the Oilers.

FinRanger

Jan 15, 2013
Auston Matthews is the greatest goal scorer of all time and there will never be better. His shooting % is 52.9% and it is only going to get better as the season goes on.

Also look at this generational goal. Off the skate and in. Easily better than Connor McDavid.

I predict 300 goals for Matthews this season as his shooting percent gets better.

Reactions: theblackadder

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018

You just can't have intelligent non-biased hockey discussions with certain people. Apparently some people just have something against Matthews, likely the simple fact that he plays for Toronto. But ya that list is hilarious, he genuinely speaks as if Matthews is some random third rate centre. Ya ya we get it you'd take essentially ever other player over Matthews LOL.

Reactions: theandroid

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
Auston Matthews is the greatest goal scorer of all time and there will never be better. His shooting % is 52.9% and it is only going to get better as the season goes on.

Also look at this generational goal. Off the skate and in. Easily better than Connor McDavid.

I predict 300 goals for Matthews this season as his shooting percent gets better.

Goals are goals, the only people making such ridiculous claims of 300 goals are people like you, not Leafs fans.

Stop trolling.

Reactions: JadedLeaf

bionic

Sep 5, 2009
markham

• Two years ago, AM had 4 goals in 1 game. There were 20 threads on the main boards about how he is better than McDavid. Then, things slowed down a bit.
  • Last year, AM was hot in October. 8 points in the first 5 games, and again 20 threads on the main boards on how he is going to win every award and how he is better than McDavid... Then, things really died...
Who knows, maybe 3rd time is a charm. But it is likely that few games into the next season we will go again through this...

At the end of the day, 5 games sample is a bit small, there were much weaker players who had better performances over 4-5 games. If AM can truly produce at a generational level for a full season, most fans will agree that comparisons with McDavid are fair. But after 5 games people comparing him to Lemieux and talking about 50 in 50 is a bit premature, isn't it?
Let me help you with your memory problem.

- Two years ago was his rookie year. He scored 40 goals...on an all rookie line , won the Calder aword and damn near won the Rocket Richard. He also led the Leafs to the playoffs, a team that was dead last the year before. He scored 5 points in 6 games that playoff year.

Last year he came out strong and was once again lighting the league on fire. Then he ran into injuries that plagued him throughout the saeeon missing 30. Yet he was still over a point per game player and scored 35 goals. All this with fewer ice time then many of his counter parts.

This year's book has yet to be written.....but damn, what a first chapter!!!

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
Let me help you with your memory problem.

- Two years ago was his rookie year. He scored 40 goals...on an all rookie line , won the Calder aword and damn near won the Rocket Richard. He also led the Leafs to the playoffs, a team that was dead last the year before. He scored 5 points in 6 games that playoff year.

Last year he came out strong and was once again lighting the league on fire. Then he ran into injuries that plagued him throughout the saeeon missing 30. Yet he was still over a point per game player and scored 35 goals. All this with fewer ice time then many of his counter parts.

This year's book has yet to be written.....but damn, what a first chapter!!!

People may argue about Matthews being labeled a generational player, fine. But what is a known fact at the very least is that he is a generational goal scorer. He has just 5 fewer goals than McDavid in 62 fewer games.

This fundamental fact is what exposes most bias against Matthews on these boards, the fact that they won't even admit Matthews is a generational sniper who will establish himself as the best goal scorer in this league for years to come.

Gunnersaurus Rex

Jan 14, 2008
If you don’t think Matthews is at McDavids level then you simply are ignorant.

Scoring goals is harder than getting assists, you can’t just compare point totals. Fact is , Matthews will outscore McDavid for the rest of his career.
:facepalm: Ya, that won't happen. But let's just cool down a bit. Lets see how Matthews does when he finally plays against teams that actually made the playoffs last year. So far it's been some pretty easy pickings...

Reactions: Tad Mikowsky

TIGERCOOL

Sep 29, 2014

Also look at this generational goal. Off the skate and in. Easily better than Connor McDavid

Hey that reminds me of something... oh right, Laine's only goal this year. Matthews has nothing on Laine when it comes to deflections, look how he expertly snipes it off the defenceman's stick and into the net! Talk about the next McDavid!

authentic

Jan 28, 2015

There were? Could you name them?

authentic

Jan 28, 2015

See, this would be funny if anyone was arguing he was going to finish the season at even half the pace he's on.

Reactions: Dustin

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Matthews scores 60 and becomes first $15 M player
416.gif

araisarena

Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/Ann Arbor
okay sure

just off the top of my head in no particular order:

McDavid
Crosby
Malkin
Ovechkin
Kane
Kuznetsov
Marchand
Kopitar
Kucherov
Giroux
Gaudreau
MacKinnon
Tavares
Getzlaf
Eichel
Barkov
Karlsson
Doughty
Hedman
Bobrovsky
Gibson

there's 21 names without even putting much thought into it that I would take over Matthews no questions asked for at least the next couple years(after that it gets less certain since some of them are in their 30s)

then there's a whole bunch where i'd put it as a tossup like Panarin,Benn,Seguin,Hall,Barzal,Wheeler,Scheifele,Draisaitl,Jones,Burns etc etc

honestly ~20th is probably overly generous if anything,there's a lot of good players in the league

I bet you're fun at parties.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
the fact that you think putting a guy that since the most recent lockout won an Art Ross and had another year where he finished second in the league in points on the same tier as Matthews is "a joke" says a lot
It says a lot you think he is.

Some people are just clueless.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
See, this would be funny if anyone was arguing he was going to finish the season at even half the pace he's on.

it's tiresome seeing people repeatedly hide behind comments like this while at the same time comparing him to McDavid

how many points is he on pace for right now? what's half of that? what the f*** do you think comparing him to f***ing McDavid is doing?

just because people aren't directly saying it doesn't mean that people aren't saying it,cut it out with the weasel words and start saying what you f***ing mean

Last edited:

meenamjah

Apr 8, 2012
Doesnt matter that Matthews has 9g/12pts in 5 games

Mcdavid>>>>>>>>>>Matthews

amirite?

Matthews is the closest thing to Mcdavids level in this league.
oil just don't have even half the talent to surround him with that the leafs do

Matthews,JT,Marner,Nylander,Rielly,Kadri, Marleau,Andersen vs Mcdavid,Draisaitl,Nurse,RNH,Talbot?

not close

there was some guy named Crosby in the league I hear. amirite?

Reactions: bionic

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008

When it comes to goals, is this even a question? Jesus it took McDavid 3 seasons to finally score more goals than Nazem Kadri and that's with Kadri having about a 20 game goalless stretch!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad