Getzlaf
Eichel
Barkov
Karlsson
Doughty
Hedman
Bobrovsky
Gibson

there's 21 names without even putting much thought into it that I would take over Matthews no questions asked for at least the next couple years(after that it gets less certain since some of them are in their 30s)

then there's a whole bunch where i'd put it as a tossup like Panarin,Benn,Seguin,Hall,Barzal,Wheeler,Scheifele,Draisaitl,Jones,Burns etc etc

honestly ~20th is probably overly generous if anything,there's a lot of good players in the league
I can tell you aren't lying about not putting much thought into this

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Fun fact--the only players since the 2004 lockout to have played 200+ games by the end of their D+3 season AND scored at a 1.0 Pts/G pace or higher are Crosby and McDavid.

Essentially a measure of who came into the league immediately after being drafted and played at a superstar level. Hence the fact it's only been done by 2 of the 3 clear "generational" talents of the last 15 years. The 3rd generational talent, Ovi, would have most likely also hit that mark if not for the lockout.

The only other player currently in the NHL who might be able to hit that mark? Matthews. He's sitting at 0.97 Pts/G in 149 games so far with the rest of his D+3 season left to play.
The gap between McDavid and Matthews is smaller than the gap between Matthews and whoever is behind him.

Balance

Jesus loves you!
May 20, 2013
If you don’t think Matthews is at McDavids level then you simply are ignorant.

Scoring goals is harder than getting assists, you can’t just compare point totals. Fact is , Matthews will outscore McDavid for the rest of his career.

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
Kinda wandering what excuses the salt brigades will come up next with to justify Matthews being no higher than Cheechoo in terms of talent and production.

TDK67

Apr 17, 2016
The gap between McDavid and Matthews is smaller than the gap between Matthews and whoever is behind him.

I personally wouldn't go that far, but looking at some of the big picture stuff about Matthews' performance so far is pretty eye opening. His 40-goal rookie season was so incredible that most people forget he had a 13-game goalless drought and was centering a rotation of 3 other rookies all year. Furthermore his most consistent linemate (Hyman) had a league worst conversion rate on high danger chances which lead to OISH% lower than most superstars. Basically, by most metrics, he actually underachieved in his 40 goal 69 pt rookie season. Then he went 1.0+ Pt/G in his sophomore year despite battling various injuries so that also muddied the picture on his true talent.

I'm just really hoping for a fully healthy season with about 20 mins of TOI (#1 PP unit and mins as well) so that we can get a better sense of just how good he is and whether he's closer or farther from McDavid than most people think.

Reactions: Frank Drebin

Cleetus

"snot"
Jan 2, 2012
North!
lol this thread is funny, the pure Jealousy that the leafs got an elite Center, and is totally torching the league right now, and posters trying to prove otherwise is concerning and salty.

Reactions: KapG

bionic

Sep 5, 2009
markham
lol this thread is funny, the pure Jealousy that the leafs got an elite Center, and is totally torching the league right now, and posters trying to prove otherwise is concerning and salty.
I forget the name but a sports caster from Edmonton said that the main reason people in Edmonton are upset that Matthews is even mentioned with McDavid is because Matthews is a Leaf.

Reactions: Tracer Bullet

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
okay sure

just off the top of my head in no particular order:

McDavid Yep
Crosby I guess for now
Malkin Same as above
Ovechkin No
Kane No
Kuznetsov No
Marchand Questionable
Kopitar Maybe
Kucherov Yep
Giroux Not even close, he needs to be way more consistent
Gaudreau Nope
MacKinnon Questionable
Tavares NOPE
Getzlaf NOPE
Eichel LMFAO
Barkov No
Karlsson Eh, pre injury Karlsson, although it's close
Doughty Close
Hedman No
Bobrovsky NOT EVEN CLOSE
Gibson LOLNO

there's 21 names without even putting much thought into it that I would take over Matthews no questions asked for at least the next couple years(after that it gets less certain since some of them are in their 30s)

then there's a whole bunch where i'd put it as a tossup like Panarin,Benn,Seguin,Hall,Barzal,Wheeler,Scheifele,Draisaitl,Jones,Burns etc etc

honestly ~20th is probably overly generous if anything,there's a lot of good players in the league

13/21 are nos, the remaining there are only 4 clear yeses and 2 of them stand to be rewritten after this year.

What people like you don't understand when you talk about sustainability is how deflated Matthews numbers have been in his first two years:

Year 1, played half the year with glorified 3rd and 4th liner ROOKIES in Brown and Hyman, only played 2:30 minutes on the PP and only got 8 PP goals, only played 17:30 per game (McDavid got 19 minutes in year one) still ended up with 40 goals and nearly 70 points

Year 2, still stuck with Hyman who at that point was a decent 3rd liner and had THE lowest high danger scoring chance conversion rate, PP TOI goes DOWN to 2 minutes (McDavid was at 3 in his 2nd year) and ice time barely budges up to 18 minutes meanwhile McDavid was at 21 minutes already in his 2nd year, still goes PPG despite his injury severely hampering him and paces for 45 goals while only scoring 5 pp goals and pacing for 8

/\ So people like yourself might give cursory glances at his stats and be like "ah nice, great goal scorer, good playmaker, but nothing special," meanwhile when you learn the situation he did it in, it becomes so much more impressive.

As far as the sustainability thing, no Leaf fan thinks he's going to get 140 goals and 200 points, but you're making such a non-point by saying this. The reason Matthews can even achieve those ludicrous numbers is because he is near the top of the league, if you know anything about samples, being a 1/5 at xyz doesn't mean you make 1/5, for certain players it means they make 2/5 and then 1/next 10, for others it means 4/5 and 1/next 20.

But again, you're just doing the cursory glance thing, if Matthews scored 40 goals his first year with 8 powerplay goals and was pacing for 45 with 8 powerplay goals again in his 2nd year, WHAT DOES IT TELL YOU THAT IN FIVE GAMES HE ALREADY HAS 4 THIS YEAR???? What it should tell you is that he is going to explode, scoring powerplay goals is MUCH easier than scoring at 5 on 5 which he was already the best in the league at and with the Leafs powerplay, he is going to have SO many easy looks it's going to be insane.

That doesn't mean he sustains his current numbers, what it does mean is that the variance of his slumps goes down:

Year 1 Went 13 games WITHOUT a goal (still hit 40 remember) AND had just 2 points in these 13 games
Year 2 Went 5 games without a goal (still paced for 45) and had 1 goal and 2 assists in 9 games

He was doing this not getting good PP TOI and being stuck with Hyman his 2nd year, this year's powerplay is going to do a number on his numbers, he has NEVER been in such a position or anything close to it, his variance went down last year due to him and his linemates being better, his variance this year is going to be very low because of how dominant and unstoppable the powerplay is. This is going to be a massive year beyond what most can anticipate because they don't have the facts about him that I posted above.

The best stat that puts it in perspective is that Matthews has already put up HALF of the powerplay goals he put up in year 1 and 2 in FIVE GAMES. *Snap* Yep this is going in my Matthews is a beast compilation

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
In order to offer sheet a Matthews or a Marner a team will need to have the draft picks to make it work. With that said, what are the draft picks and which teams out there can do this? It's most likely to take place but just curious which teams can make a run at it...

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
No Matthews tonight? No problem.

giphy.gif

NightTrain1

Oct 20, 2013
How anyone can claim Mathews isnt on the highest possible tier in this league is beyond me. Seriously, they are blinded by hate or jealousy and there is no two ways about it. Just try and make a coherent argument for it. McDavid is the pinnacle right now, and from what ive seen and how he is still improving Mathews is right behind him and closing the gap quickly.

Reactions: Sk8M8

MoreMogilny

Cap'n
Jul 5, 2009
Oshawa
okay sure

McDavid
Crosby
Malkin
Ovechkin
Kane
Kuznetsov
Marchand
Kopitar
Kucherov
Giroux
Gaudreau
MacKinnon
Tavares
Getzlaf
Eichel
Barkov
Karlsson
Doughty
Hedman
Bobrovsky
Gibson

Hahahah oh God almighty.

I wonder if you posted that with list with a straight face.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
okay sure

McDavid
Crosby
Malkin
Ovechkin
Kane
Kuznetsov
Marchand
Kopitar
Kucherov
Giroux
Gaudreau
MacKinnon
Tavares
Getzlaf
Eichel
Barkov
Karlsson
Doughty
Hedman
Bobrovsky
Gibson

giphy-downsized-large.gif

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
I made an argument in a different thread and now humbly i have to say i was wrong,
Matthews has already 7 goals, 10 points this season, ill leave it that thing to that :) .

I might not be a Leafs fan but Matthews is growing into me
- i still hold my ground on that, that you guys will not make it in the play-offs this season,
you guys just do not play good enough, your 3 star players and PP is giving you wins,
that won't last the entire season, you have been out shot in every single game,
your D and goaltending is just not good enough

PS. I'm not wrong often,but when i am, i'm happy to admit it.

That's what she said.

Also this thread is a passive aggressive show piece.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad