Auston Matthews or David Pastrnak: Who has the better chance at winning the Rocket Richard Trophy?

Matthews or Pastrnak?

• Total voters

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
He’s recently improved his defensive play for sure. It was pretty abysmal for a good chunk at the start of the season. I think even most Leaf fans would acknowledge that he floated a lot in the defensive zone.

The whole team was playing pretty poorly at the start of the season, but you can see Matthew's hockey sense is so elite that I have no doubt he'll be a very strong two-way player in his prime. And yes, he hasn't reached his peak yet which is absurd in its own right.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Pastrnak doesn't play a complete game at all, I don't know what people are talking about. His strengths are his shot and his ability to carry the puck up the ice on his own where he can beat the opposition one-on-one with his speed and skill. It's a bit hit and miss because he has that whole drunken master quality where he's in control when he doesn't quite look like he is, but by no means does this work all the time. Regardless, he's among the very best in the league at these two things.

He'll have some nice dishes that show up on highlight reels but he's by no means a great passer. He tries to force A LOT through. He's in a situation where he's given the freedom to be creative and risky with the defensive net of Bergeron in place. I think the redeeming quality for him is that he definitely tries and hustles when he doesn't have the puck.

If you're comparing that to Matthews, I think Matthews has arguably the best defensive stick in the league, it's just that his effort level is very questionable. I still think Matthews is more effective overall though.

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013
Who’s Matthews playing with mostly this season? When i watch the leafs recently I’ve seen him centering marner and hyman. But i feel like I’ve seen him out there with Tavares too.

Pastrnak gets double shifted a lot this year. His last hat trick he scored while playing on the 4th line and then second line, and the third was on the pp.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Who’s Matthews playing with mostly this season? When i watch the leafs recently I’ve seen him centering marner and hyman. But i feel like I’ve seen him out there with Tavares too.
Sometimes after a penalty kill or the last minute of a period, Sheldon Keefe will put Matthews out with Tavares and Marner.

Recently his full time 5v5 line mates has been Marner and Hyman. The last game Hyman was replaced with Andreas Johnsson.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015

Pastrnak gets double shifted a lot this year. His last hat trick he scored while playing on the 4th line and then second line, and the third was on the pp.
Matthews started the year with Nylander and Johnsson, and then Keefe changed it up to Marner and Hyman against the Wings at the end of December. Matthews has 13 goals in those 12 games.

Keefe likes to go with Matthews-Tavares-Nylander after a penalty kill, and will try Matthews and Tavares with Marner to get some offense sometimes. They don't really play together a whole lot though

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
He’s recently improved his defensive play for sure. It was pretty abysmal for a good chunk at the start of the season. I think even most Leaf fans would acknowledge that he floated a lot in the defensive zone.

He's around average in his own zone, but his neutral zone defense is so elite that it doesn't matter. I'd rather have the guy that stops the other team from getting into our zone in the first place than the guy who blocks shots really good for half his shifts.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
He's around average in his own zone, but his neutral zone defense is so elite that it doesn't matter. I'd rather have the guy that stops the other team from getting into our zone in the first place than the guy who blocks shots really good for half his shifts.
I guess the threat of Matthews blocking shots is why he's not on the penalty kill.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
I guess the threat of Matthews blocking shots is why he's not on the penalty kill.

There's a handful of PK forwards that actually matter in the league. Bergeron, Marchand, Grabner, potentially Marner soon. Kopitar and Towes used to be on the list.

Everyone else is entirely replaceable and completely dependent on coaching and goaltending as long as they're willing to buy into the system (obviously don't put small slow players out there though). Why would you have Matthews out there when he's maybe 5% more effective at blindly icing the puck than Kapanen, Engvall or Gauthier?

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
There's a handful of PK forwards that actually matter in the league. Bergeron, Marchand, Grabner, potentially Marner soon. Kopitar and Towes used to be on the list.

Everyone else is entirely replaceable and completely dependent on coaching and goaltending as long as they're willing to buy into the system (obviously don't put small slow players out there though). Why would you have Matthews out there when he's maybe 5% more effective at blindly icing the puck than Kapanen, Engvall or Gauthier?
I completely agree with your logic.

alg363636

Boo
Apr 25, 2014
Washington, DC

Didnt Matthew's say he refused to PK?

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016

Matthews is absolutely not elite at neutral zone defense...No idea who you’re watching.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
Matthews has improved his neutral zone defense and since you obviously don't watch the Leafs enough or at all, you will need to trust us when we say he has.

Lol, if I trusted what Leaf fans said about their players, I’d think they’re favourites to win the President’s Trophy...not out of the playoffs.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad