Auston Matthews or David Pastrnak: Who has the better chance at winning the Rocket Richard Trophy?

Matthews or Pastrnak?

• Total voters

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013
The goal scoring numbers over the past 4 years between these two guys is hilariously close. I don't think I've ever noticed it.

Matthews Rookie year: 40 goals in 82 games for matthews, 34 in 75 for Pasta.
Matthews year two : 34 goals in 62 games for Matthews, 35 in 82 for Pasta.
Matthews year 3 : 37 in 68 for matthews, 38 in 66 for Pasta
This year : 34 in 47 for Matthews, 36 in 48 for Pasta.

145 goals for matthews, 143 goals for Pasta.

Both on pace to crush career highs this season.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
The goal scoring numbers over the past 4 years between these two guys is hilariously close. I don't think I've ever noticed it.

Matthews Rookie year: 40 goals in 82 games for matthews, 34 in 75 for Pasta.
Matthews year two : 34 goals in 62 games for Matthews, 35 in 82 for Pasta.
Matthews year 3 : 37 in 68 for matthews, 38 in 66 for Pasta
This year : 34 in 47 for Matthews, 36 in 48 for Pasta.

145 goals for matthews, 143 goals for Pasta.

Both on pace to crush career highs this season.
Honestly I'm enjoying the Rocket Richard race a lot more than those Matthews vs Laine debates for the Calder Trophy. At least with this award it comes down to most goals, instead of being voted on by the writers.

Plus there is also the slim chance both could be tied in goals and share the award. That happened in 2004 when it was a three way tie with Jarome Iginla, Rick Nash and Ilya Kovalchuk all scored 41 goals.

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013
Honestly I'm enjoying the Rocket Richard race a lot more than those Matthews vs Laine debates for the Calder Trophy. At least with this award it comes down to most goals, instead of being voted on by the writers.

Plus there is also the slim chance both could be tied in goals and share the award. That happened in 2004 when it was a three way tie with Jarome Iginla, Rick Nash and Ilya Kovalchuk all scored 41 goals.

Honestly, the fate we all deserve as Bruins and Leafs fans is for them to tie and split the reward.

Then we can argue about 5v5 and PP goals until the next season starts.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
I'd argue its usefulness at comparing two players with different games played is dubious at best.
It's only not useful when you use it wrong. We're not talking about somebody with 20 games. Over their careers, we are talking about hundreds of games.

The person who has 15 goals in 20 games is most likely riding unsustainable metrics that would be very obvious.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
I think Pasta feeding Marchand for the empty netter just makes it moot.
Want him to win the Rocket but if he loses by a goal or two I think it's perfect as the kid is just so easy to cheer for..

Reactions: Stamkos4life

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Agreed on the bolded - Matthews is lucky Crosby was injured this season. Otherwise he'd have easily swept the Rocket and all other trophies. Matthews is literally imitating Perry - taking advantage of a Crosby injury to shine, just like Perry in 2011.
So even though Crosby still won the Rocket Richard Trophy in 2017 with 44 goals, it's Matthews fault that Crosby only played in 75 games and didn't score more goals than that.

In a hypothetical situation let's say Matthews had won the Rocket Richard in his rookie season I'm going to assume by your response that you think he wouldn't deserve it. Also what exactly does Corey Perry have to do with him? When Perry won it in 2011 he still had 50 goals.

Finally in Matthews rookie season when he was tied for 2nd with 40 goals with Nikita Kucherov. So in another hypothetical situation if Kucherov had won it would you have said the same things about him you were saying about Matthews?

Last edited:

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
Is it fair to say Pasta is a better player than Matthews? They’re both great shooters and goal scorers, but Pasta has that all-around game in the offensive zone that makes him so special.

Reactions: b in vancouver

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
So even though Crosby still won the Rocket Richard Trophy in 2017 with 44 goals, it's Matthews fault that Crosby only played in 75 games and didn't score more goals than that.

In a hypothetical situation let's say Matthews had won the Rocket Richard in his rookie season I'm going to assume by your response that you think he wouldn't deserve it. Also what exactly does Corey Perry have to do with him? When Perry won it in 2011 he still had 50 goals.

Finally in Matthews rookie season when he was tied for 2nd with 40 goals with Nikita Kucherov. So in another hypothetical situation if Kucherov had won it would you have said the same things about him you were saying about Matthews?

It was clearly a joke lol. Crosby has like 7 goals this year...

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Despite the lead both Pastrnak and Matthews had forged it remains too early to discount Ovi. 5 goals off lead now following his hattrick.

I predict Ovi wins it - Matthews #2 and Pastrnak #3.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Is it fair to say Pasta is a better player than Matthews? They’re both great shooters and goal scorers, but Pasta has that all-around game in the offensive zone that makes him so special.

yeah it’s fair to say - right now Pasta is the better all around player.

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
Awesome that he passed up the freebie to give a teammate a boost. That's a guy who wants more than the Richard.

Watching a lot of Leafs and Bruins games, this race is the best!!

I'm not gonna lie, I was bit pissed he passed that opportunity, so rarely he is on ice 5v6.. and I would not mind Matthews winning Rocket :D

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I'm not gonna lie, I was bit pissed he passed that opportunity, so rarely he is on ice 5v6.. and I would not mind Matthews winning Rocket :D
If Matthews happens to win the Rocket by 1 goal over Pastrnak I hope the Bruins fans don't complain about that, since they didn't seem to care about him passing up a sure goal last night with the empty net.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
If Matthews happens to win the Rocket by 1 goal over Pastrnak I hope the Bruins fans don't complain about that, since they didn't seem to care about him passing up a sure goal last night with the empty net.

Why would they complain about it? It just shows he's a great teammate who wants to win, not a guy who wants to earn every $.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Why would they complain about it? It just shows he's a great teammate who wants to win, not a guy who wants to earn every $.
So because of the contract Matthews has it means he's not a great teammate?

You also know I'm right that if Matthews wins the Rocket and if it's by 1 goal over Pastrnak, you don't think some Bruins might look back and say what if he didn't pass up scoring on the empty net. It would be human nature and if you say no I wouldn't believe it.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
People are so focused on Matthews and Pastrnak that they're forgetting an old man who knows a thing or two about goal scoring.

Reactions: NinjaKick

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver

I don't see what he does in his offensive game that's so much more valuable. He's not really any better at playmaking or carrying the puck. And Matthews at least is a pretty strong puck retriever when he's on.

hockeyisgud

Feb 5, 2016
Pastrnak definitely plays a more complete game than Matthews but holy shit can Matthews finish. Matthews is an incredible goal scorer and I'll take him to win the Rocket.

hockeyisgud

Feb 5, 2016
Unfortunately I don't think he gets as many freebies in the playoffs and the Leafs probably get bounced in the 1st round.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad