TSN: Auston Matthews goal celebration, yes or no?

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
Absolutely yes. There's no shame in being shown up by a vet in Patty Kane. You win some, you lose some. I personally loved the little chuckle on Mattys face while Kane was returning the favor.

For all the uptight folks, IT WAS MATTHEWS that stripped Patrick Kane in OT to start the play that led to the Rielly GWG. Big time players love those types of challenges. They wanna be the best.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
I thought it was appropriate and in all honesty if sparks wasn't poo poo should have been the game winner.

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
Matthews has generational celebrations. I love seeing him fired up like that. For a kid that can be very bland in interviews, it's refreshing for him to have such personality on the ice at times.

And yes, Kane's response was excellent. It livens up the game. By that point last night, I was just laughing and really enjoying the chaos.

It's all good natured fun. The league needs more Subbans, Ovechkins, guys that really show their passion for the fun side of the game.

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
Yes, unless he's going to the other bench and doing xpac suck it motions in a 9-o game, it's all fine by me.

These are adults, they can handle some motions and it adds entertainment, I'm not for people going crazy after every goal which is stupid, but at special times, it's absolutely great.

I also loved Ovie's hot stick celebration, notice he doesn't do it all the time though.

Same thing with Matthews, he scores tons of goals where he is like "meh, cool" so it's not just a matter of "arrogant POS rubbing it in all the time because he is a classless goon."

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Matthews has generational celebrations. I love seeing him fired up like that. For a kid that can be very bland in interviews, it's refreshing for him to have such personality on the ice at times.

And yes, Kane's response was excellent. It livens up the game. By that point last night, I was just laughing and really enjoying the chaos.

It's all good natured fun. The league needs more Subbans, Ovechkins, guys that really show their passion for the fun side of the game.
Assuming Matthews once again makes this seasons All Star Game and I'm sure that will happen, I bet he does that celebration again if he scores a goal.

FriedmansBaldSpot

Dec 10, 2009
LOVED the cellie. The world is becoming filled with PC Police now.. this is a non issue that TSN is trying to make into a story. The guy was feeling emotion and released it all after scoring an important goal, why should this be looked down on? It's not like he gave the crowd the finger, or any other obscene gestures.

Point is, he was excited, it was an important goal when it happened, the adrenaline was pumping, there was nothing disrespectful about it. Let him have his moment, and enjoy the game as we all do.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
LOVED the cellie. The world is becoming filled with PC Police now.. this is a non issue that TSN is trying to make into a story. The guy was feeling emotion and released it all after scoring an important goal, why should this be looked down on? It's not like he gave the crowd the finger, or any other obscene gestures.

Point is, he was excited, it was an important goal when it happened, the adrenaline was pumping, there was nothing disrespectful about it. Let him have his moment, and enjoy the game as we all do.
How many times in his career did Jaromir Jagr give his salute after scoring a goal and no one ever thought it could be disrespectful.

FriedmansBaldSpot

Dec 10, 2009
Loved it, hope he keeps doing it for an appropriate goal. Loved how Kane gave it back as well.

The sport needs more of this, and less of Marchand.

Right! It adds so much excitement to the game, that back and forth forms rivalries and creates a great narrative for future matchups. The fact that Leafs Lunch is even debating if this was appropriate or not, is ridiculous. It's like they desperately needed a topic to discuss, and pulled one out of their hat at the last minute before air. I get that they need something to discuss, but jesus.. this is bush league discussion for them.

SoVi3t

Sep 16, 2009
Absolute yes!

I love players showing some emotion, especially when it's my Leafs :D

I want these boys so hungry for goals that every single one can trigger emotion like that.

That's why I don't worry when we're down 1-0 or 2-0 like years ago, because the Leafs LOVE to score goals. And it shows, both on the scoreboard and on their faces. People have to remember they're still mostly kids.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Friendly rivalry and all in good fun. I've no problem with it.

Optimist

Wendel and I
Feb 16, 2015
Ontario Canada
It was harmless, although he might have learned a lesson after Kane's rebuttal. Good thing that Matthews got the last laugh though. Did I like it? Hell yeah!!

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
It was harmless, although he might have learned a lesson after Kane's rebuttal. Good thing that Matthews got the last laugh though. Did I like it? Hell yeah!!
In Matthews defense who would have seen Kane scoring another goal with the goalie pulled to tie it for a second time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad