TSN: Auston Matthews goal celebration, yes or no?

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
How many times in his career did Jaromir Jagr give his salute after scoring a goal and no one ever thought it could be disrespectful.

I always assumed Jagr did it as a tribute to his late grandfather.

But agreed, this is a non-issue and I thought it was entertaining.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I always assumed Jagr did it as a tribute to his late grandfather.

But agreed, this is a non-issue and I thought it was entertaining.
I remember way back during the 1999 playoffs when Toronto played Pittsburgh in the Eastern Conference Semi-Finals and eliminated them in Game 6 during overtime, Danny Markov was giving the Jagr salute right back to him during their celebration.

GLG12xx12

Go Leafs Go!!!!
Dec 5, 2010
Boone, IA
I do t think I've seen Matthew's as pumped up after scoring goals like he's done so far this season. Every goal and he is showing emotion unlike the last 2 years where a lot of them garnered no reaction from him. Me thinks he's on a mission to tear up the league like we have never seen him do

Reactions: Eb

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
I thought it was hilarious until Kane scored. Karma? I'm sure it exists but I don't know if that was it because we won the game.

If karma was that instantaneous most of the GOP would be in prison.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I do t think I've seen Matthew's as pumped up after scoring goals like he's done so far this season. Every goal and he is showing emotion unlike the last 2 years where a lot of them garnered no reaction from him. Me thinks he's on a mission to tear up the league like we have never seen him do
I wonder if it goes back to his goal celebration where he pointed towards the net against Colorado since he already had a goal disallowed just minutes earlier.

TDotMassive

Jul 13, 2018
6ix
SO MUCH YES!!!!!!

Loved every second of it! We need more of this in hockey... is was fun, it was entertaining, it brought out some personality... Matthews and Kane, two of the best giving it to each other. We watch for entertainment... ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?? :)

Heritage

Jan 17, 2016
Halifax
I loved the goal, loved the emotion, and loved the celebration!

We have a franchise center who loves playing for our team and showing emotion!

More please!

ITM

As Long As It Takes
Jan 26, 2012
Since the Leafs ended up winning I think what Matthews did last night was better than what he did last season against Colorado.

I dunno...That celly was a thing of beauty on top of precisely the kind of response you want from your club's leader.

As for the one in Chicago? Absolutely. Like Kane needs anyone to provoke him.

It's a complete myth that players back in the day didn't celebrate.

Exhibit A, Your Honour.

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
I thiught it was cool.

I like any celebration, it shows emotion and character. I liked eichels today too even though it wasn’t really a standout one like this but telling the crowd to rise up was nice. It’s entertaining to see.

If you score in the NHL you should be allowed to do what you want except taunt the other team when it’s 7-0.

It beats a boring head nod.

My favourite was Crosby’s rookie year he takes a penalty and cried for like a minute after taunting kovalchuk in Atlanta and pushing him down.

Atlanta went to the pp and kovalchuk slapped one in and then pointed to Crosby in the box coming out, in direct motion it was priceless.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
100% yay. He seems to have finally got that swagger a player as good as him should have.

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
I wouldn't personally do it. That being said, in any sport you're always going to have guys that do that.

Matthews also has the talent to back it too.

Blanche Blanche

Torontoooooo
Dec 2, 2017
Toronto
It was awesome. 1 goal games the scorer always celebrates huge.

This game warrants even less gossip... Why? Context

You celebrate like that in a 5-0 or 7-1 thumping of a team. its tasteless.

A 1 goal game... its Normal.

This game, where both goalies made it into a pond hockey game. Mattheews and Kane doing it made that game worthy of remembering and everyone in the arena and watching it on TV left with a smile. Chicago or Toronto

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
it was great, he was trying to rattle the crowd not the team. kane's reply was great and aimed at Awesome. Mathews took it well also. I hope he bought Reilly a beer.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
That was a classic celly and response last night. Why not make the game fun like that. I mean as long as they don't start riding their sticks like Tiger Willimas I am all for it.

Reactions: saffronleaf

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I had no problem with it and no problem when Kane followed it up.
I believe Matthews and Kane trained together so in addition to a team battle I’m sure there was a 1 on 1 battle.

It’s not like it was 7-0.

bax

Mar 4, 2011
Canada
The game needs stuff like this. Loved Matthews doing it and Kane doing it right back. Loved the smirk from Matthews on the bench. Yes for me!

Reactions: saffronleaf

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
I thought it was hilarious until Kane scored. Karma? I'm sure it exists but I don't know if that was it because we won the game.

If karma was that instantaneous most of the GOP would be in prison.
well Kane copied Auston so yeah it was karma, back at ya type

Metal God

Aug 12, 2010
Toronto
Agreed. I thought the same thing. I love it!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->